Minic version 2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Dann Corbit, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
CMCanavessi
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:06 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Minic version 2

Post by CMCanavessi » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:38 pm

Minic can't mate in a rook and king vs king endgame, at least not in this game vs Winter (which minic had played in a brilliant way!). There's still a lot of room for improvement it seems.

Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls

User avatar
xr_a_y
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: France

Re: Minic version 2

Post by xr_a_y » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:05 pm

CMCanavessi wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:38 pm
Minic can't mate in a rook and king vs king endgame, at least not in this game vs Winter (which minic had played in a brilliant way!). There's still a lot of room for improvement it seems.
Thanks for reporting.
I am never able to reproduce those kind of things at home, but there is indeed probably something wrong.
Can you give me the TC used, the hash size, and if a NNUE net was loaded please ?

User avatar
CMCanavessi
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:06 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Minic version 2

Post by CMCanavessi » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:28 pm

No nnue was loaded, it was just plain minic. TC was 2 min + 1 sec, 1 thread, ponder on.

Edit: oh, and no TBs either.
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls

User avatar
xr_a_y
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: France

Re: Minic version 2

Post by xr_a_y » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:01 pm

CMCanavessi wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:28 pm
No nnue was loaded, it was just plain minic. TC was 2 min + 1 sec, 1 thread, ponder on.

Edit: oh, and no TBs either.
Maybe ponder on is the thing. I'll check that ...

User avatar
xr_a_y
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: France

Re: Minic version 2

Post by xr_a_y » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:48 pm

xr_a_y wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:01 pm
CMCanavessi wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:28 pm
No nnue was loaded, it was just plain minic. TC was 2 min + 1 sec, 1 thread, ponder on.

Edit: oh, and no TBs either.
Maybe ponder on is the thing. I'll check that ...
In fact ponder on is simply crashing here when opponent plays instantly. So I have a threading issue at least !

User avatar
CMCanavessi
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:06 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Minic version 2

Post by CMCanavessi » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:26 pm

Haven't seen crashes, Minic 2.50 has now played over 250 games and no problems, besides that weird endgame that I just catched up live.
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls

OliverBr
Posts: 655
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:38 pm
Location: Munich, Germany
Full name: Dr. Oliver Brausch
Contact:

Re: Minic version 2

Post by OliverBr » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:39 am

xr_a_y wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:11 pm

I guess I "recognize" that, I did the work for building that and generating the data. But I cannot have my engine rated with such a copy/paste of code ... Let the dust settle. Will see what will happen in some months ...
I understand your opinion. I hesitate even to copy one single line into my engine. Where is the glory in that?

Minic is a very unique engine I appreciate a lot -without many copied NNUE lines.
Chess Engine OliThink: http://brausch.org/home/chess
OliThink GitHub:https://github.com/olithink

OliverBr
Posts: 655
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:38 pm
Location: Munich, Germany
Full name: Dr. Oliver Brausch
Contact:

Re: Minic version 2

Post by OliverBr » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:26 am

CMCanavessi wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:26 pm
Haven't seen crashes, Minic 2.50 has now played over 250 games and no problems, besides that weird endgame that I just catched up live.
I had a bug in OliThink for many years which showed only so every 5000 games:
http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=74821

Funny fact is that is was detected by an humbe programmer already in 2013, but nobody cared... :)
see https://open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?t=2495
Chess Engine OliThink: http://brausch.org/home/chess
OliThink GitHub:https://github.com/olithink

Post Reply