Minic version 2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Dann Corbit, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
User avatar
xr_a_y
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: France

Re: Minic version 2

Post by xr_a_y » Wed May 13, 2020 11:18 am

Thanks again !

User avatar
xr_a_y
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: France

Re: Minic version 2

Post by xr_a_y » Wed May 13, 2020 7:03 pm

Recent progress

TC 30+0.3, 2.25 versus some previous versions

Code: Select all

Rank Name                          Elo     +/-   Games   Score   Draws
   0 minic_2.25                
   1 minic_2.17                    -25      18     870   46.4%   40.6%
   2 minic_2.00                    -81      18     869   38.6%   41.0%

User avatar
xr_a_y
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: France

Re: Minic version 2

Post by xr_a_y » Tue May 26, 2020 12:24 pm

(posting from a proxy in the USA ...)

Minic 2.31 is release.
2.25 was already quite stronger than 2.17, but this 2.31 release is again maybe +15Elo.

There is a good chance this 2.31 release can go 3200 on the 4CPU blitz CCRL list :D

User avatar
xr_a_y
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: France

Re: Minic version 2

Post by xr_a_y » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:06 pm

Minic 2.33 is available.

For this version, I was working on extension and reduction, trying to tune search. At some point I disable everything and restart to tune search extensions from the start. This is when I realize only singular extension is worth something now inside Minic. It was kinda a sad moment because all others extensions I used for a long time seemed natural to me (castling, in check, recapture, Botvinnik-Markoff, queen threat, mate threat, CMH, ...).

I'm now trying to tune singular extension better and verifying if some other extensions can still be useful at very low depth to avoid horizon effect.

Gabor Szots
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 am
Location: Szentendre, Hungary
Full name: Gabor Szots

Re: Minic version 2

Post by Gabor Szots » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:50 pm

xr_a_y wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:24 pm
(posting from a proxy in the USA ...)

Minic 2.31 is release.
2.25 was already quite stronger than 2.17, but this 2.31 release is again maybe +15Elo.

There is a good chance this 2.31 release can go 3200 on the 4CPU blitz CCRL list :D
I think it will. I am currently running 2.33 single CPU and as things are it will be close to 3100.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group

User avatar
xr_a_y
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: France

Re: Minic version 2

Post by xr_a_y » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:56 pm

Gabor Szots wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:50 pm
xr_a_y wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:24 pm
(posting from a proxy in the USA ...)

Minic 2.31 is release.
2.25 was already quite stronger than 2.17, but this 2.31 release is again maybe +15Elo.

There is a good chance this 2.31 release can go 3200 on the 4CPU blitz CCRL list :D
I think it will. I am currently running 2.33 single CPU and as things are it will be close to 3100.
Thanks ;)

User avatar
xr_a_y
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: France

Re: Minic version 2

Post by xr_a_y » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:20 pm

Minic 2.37 is released. No strength improvement this time.
But, Minic now expose to GUI style tuning variables used as kind of weight for the corresponding evaluation feature : attack, (complexity,) development, material, mobility, positional, forwardness

Only complexity is not activated yet (but will be in a future release), all of the others works already. Let me now if you find this useful and fun

Rowen
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:19 pm
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: Minic version 2

Post by Rowen » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:57 pm

Hi
Thanks for releasing this version, seems like a fun engine to play against...

I notice there are two contempt parameters , contempt and contemptMG, what are these please? I know what contempt is but contemptMG?

Seems easy to turn this engine into a sacrificial attacker when playing with the style settings so thanks for that.

User avatar
xr_a_y
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:28 pm
Location: France

Re: Minic version 2

Post by xr_a_y » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:19 pm

Rowen wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:57 pm
Hi
Thanks for releasing this version, seems like a fun engine to play against...

I notice there are two contempt parameters , contempt and contemptMG, what are these please? I know what contempt is but contemptMG?

Seems easy to turn this engine into a sacrificial attacker when playing with the style settings so thanks for that.
Thanks for trying Minic. :D

contempt apply during all the game (both middle game and end game) while contemptMG apply only to middle game.

I'd be glad to here about personality settings of Minic, if you get fun parameters, please share them !

Rowen
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:19 pm
Location: Cheshire, England

Re: Minic version 2

Post by Rowen » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:45 am

Hi
My settings used were maximum attack and mobility and material at 25. I also might have had maximum forwardness sometimes. Without an opening book the engine seems happy to play gambit openings, basically fun games.

Post Reply