Which engines play the most human like at lower levels?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Amstaff

Which engines play the most human like at lower levels?

Post by Amstaff »

Hello I'm looking for engines that play around 1800-2200 ELO and are not "dumbed down" by making obvious poor moves. Thanks in advance,
Gerald
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Which engines play the most human like at lower levels?

Post by hgm »

Fairy-Max and King Slayer should operate in that Elo region. Not sure that mere Elo bounds would make an engine's style qualify as 'human', though.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

My CT800 engine is above that, but can be throttled down if the GUI supports UCI (e.g. Droidfish under Android). This mostly done by speed reduction in that range, and in a battery friendly way with mobile devices in mind. Available for Windows, Android and Linux.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
yurikvelo

Post by yurikvelo »

Amstaff wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:53 am not "dumbed down" by making obvious poor moves
isn't it exactly what human player do?
Scally
Full name: Alan Cooper

Post by Scally »

Hi all,

CT800 also works great on the DGT Pi or a Raspberry Pi running Picochess:

That reminds me, I must also update my CT800 kit built unit:

(Click on the thumbnails for a larger image)

Cheers,

Al.
yurikvelo

Post by yurikvelo »

If there is 40 legal moves and 20 out of them are "dumb moves" (blunder with eval drop 200-300 cp or more).

Out of these 20 blunders, weak player (1800-2000 elo) sees 3 moves as good, 10 moves as "dumb" and 7 he didn't care (didn't look at)

How engine can know which exactly 3 out of 20 bad moves are seen as "good" from weak player prospective of view?
If you ask 10 weak human players, will they pick up the same 3 moves as "being good"?
Ras

Post by Ras »

Scally wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:46 pm(Click on the thumbnails for a larger image)
Nice! :-)
yurikvelo wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:49 pmHow engine can know which exactly 3 out of 20 bad moves are seen as "good" from weak player prospective of view?
I think what the OP meant was that the engine doesn't achieve its overall Elo reduction by e.g. playing like Stockfish at maximum level for 30 moves and then just dropping the queen. Most users dislike that kind of throttling.
Rasmus Althoff
camava
Full name: mario varela

Post by camava »

Ras wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:31 pm My CT800 engine is above that, but can be throttled down if the GUI supports UCI (e.g. Droidfish under Android). This mostly done by speed reduction in that range, and in a battery friendly way with mobile devices in mind. Available for Windows, Android and Linux.
Great engine sr,i didn't know it.

I don't see Thread option (UCI options)in Droidfish.

Thank you for this engine.
Ras

Post by Ras »

camava wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:15 pmI don't see Thread option (UCI options)in Droidfish.
Correct, this engine supports only a single worker thread because the microcontroller in the embedded version (the lower picture in Scally's post) has only one core. Have fun! :-)
Rasmus Althoff
Tibono

Post by Tibono »

Amstaff wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:53 am Hello I'm looking for engines that play around 1800-2200 ELO and are not "dumbed down" by making obvious poor moves. Thanks in advance,
Gerald
I would suggest to have a try with LC0 + an early 6*64 NN. It is fun, Leela had started learning but was still not quite strong. Pretty human like.
No need for a GPU, use BLAS end, and one CPU core, that is enough.
This one (0076 dating from 2 years ago) should land in the strength range you are looking for (around 1900elo, my guess). And it is fun to play!
Tibono