Syzygy Tablebases Bug

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

daniel71

Re: Syzygy Tablebases Bug

Post by daniel71 »

I had asked Chessbase support several times about this bug in Fritz 17 Syzygy Tablebases but no response from them, I was asking on the Playchess Engine room if anybody has experienced this problem then today the update was posted from the room chat the update fixes my Syzygy problems. I'm glad it also fixes your Allie problem where the GUI awarded a lost to a won game. Interestingly this has gone unnoticed for a while, I just recently purchased Fritz 17 and got back into computer chess.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

I was having the same problem as well. I was thinking fat fritz was stronger than Stockfish on my computer when I actually looked at the losses and found out that they were draws but somehow Stockfish (or the gui) resigned.
daniel71

Post by daniel71 »

Peter Schreiner (ChessBase)
28. Apr., 10:46 EEST
Hello,
thank you very much for your email.
The problem with the TableBases is a known issue. This should be fixed with the actual and the next update!

This is what ChessBase finally responded back with, no information on the list of bug fixes or program update changes. I specifically asked what was included in the update so it's not easy to get answers from support.

MMarco said the FAT Fritz engine is now LCO 24.1 so that's good news also. This is my last post on this issue.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

daniel71 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:05 pm Peter Schreiner (ChessBase)
28. Apr., 10:46 EEST
Hello,
thank you very much for your email.
The problem with the TableBases is a known issue. This should be fixed with the actual and the next update!

This is what ChessBase finally responded back with, no information on the list of bug fixes or program update changes. I specifically asked what was included in the update so it's not easy to get answers from support.

MMarco said the FAT Fritz engine is now LCO 24.1 so that's good news also. This is my last post on this issue.
Glad it worked out for you!
bob

Post by bob »

daniel71 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:08 am Is there a documented Syzygy Tablebase bug, using the Fritz 17 GUI, where the game is drawn and the engine resigns? I have lots of games where Stockfish development engines just resigns instead of getting a draw, I just ticked the Never Resigns option on the GUI but will this work when a Play Chess engine match is played? I lost lots of games due to this bug.
I would add that resigning is not an EGTB decision, that is either the program or GUI. One of the most embarrassing bugs is to have a material score of -4, but an EGTB win. You can easily resign if your decision is just based on material. If it is a GUI bug, that is just another argument that the GUI should NOT make any game-related decisions, perhaps other than flag falls and maybe KB vs KB and such obvious draws. And even then, it should be up to the program, not the GUI.