Best .bin book editor/creator?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
carldaman
Posts: 1883
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Best .bin book editor/creator?

Post by carldaman » Sat May 09, 2020 8:10 am

I don't have much experience with .bin books.

I remember that Winboard allows the editing of (most) .bin books. Are there other/better ways to edit such books? How does one create a .bin book in the first place?

Thanks,
Carl

carldaman
Posts: 1883
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Best .bin book editor/creator?

Post by carldaman » Sat May 09, 2020 10:13 am

Lately I've made a habit of answering my own posts. 8-)

Thanks to Steve Maughan's video, linked below, I was able to create my own bin book with polyglot and edit it using ScidvsPC.

The process was not entirely clean, as I've had to add some lines back through the GUI, which were left out by the polyglot pgn merge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rskcUNoirPU
https://sites.google.com/site/distribut ... ening-book
https://sourceforge.net/projects/scidvspc/

maxdeg
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:17 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Best .bin book editor/creator?

Post by maxdeg » Sat May 09, 2020 10:21 am

Try these ..

http://www.mediafire.com/file/w8ag269ow ... r.rar/file

LucasChess will also create bin books
ChessX GUI too.

carldaman
Posts: 1883
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Best .bin book editor/creator?

Post by carldaman » Sat May 09, 2020 10:09 pm

Thx, I'll check those out. :)

In the meantime, I also found this thread:

https://www.chess2u.com/t13704-make-bin ... newsletter

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5241
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Best .bin book editor/creator?

Post by Rebel » Sat May 09, 2020 11:07 pm

carldaman wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:09 pm
Thx, I'll check those out. :)
Another one to check out:

http://rebel13.nl/download/books.html
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

carldaman
Posts: 1883
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 am

Re: Best .bin book editor/creator?

Post by carldaman » Sun May 10, 2020 1:27 am

Thanks, Ed. I kind of knew about those, but I really wanted to create a really small, shallow book for Nezh. Not just for variety's sake, but to play the first couple of moves rather quickly so the opponent would not be tempted to abort the game while waiting for the first move. I tried to leave out openings that Nezh does not favor on its own.

https://lichess.org/@/Nezh-BOT

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 4192
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: Best .bin book editor/creator?

Post by Ovyron » Sat May 16, 2020 10:36 pm

carldaman wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:27 am
to play the first couple of moves rather quickly so the opponent would not be tempted to abort the game while waiting for the first move.
Ah, yes, this problem.

It's about entertainment for the person playing the engine. What I've never liked is that one is "taken" out of the game when after a series of quick moves (from book) the engine suddenly goes into a long think and continues to play its moves much slower. Only engines play like that!

I just had this idea where the first move from book is played instantly, the next takes 1 second, the next takes 2 seconds, and so on, so the engine gradually plays slower and slower so when the engine is out of book it isn't noticeable and just appears like the next step in the series.

Probably differing by an amount depending on time control, though some "outsmarter" that plays a random move to get the engine out of book early would break the illusion.

I don't think I've seen someone implementing this before, getting rid of the abrupt change in pace between instant book moves and a long think, which can be unpleasant.

Post Reply