Komodo 14 Armageddon Opening analysis

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werewolf

Komodo 14 Armageddon Opening analysis

Post by Werewolf »

Didn't want to pollute the other thread, so I thought I'd make this specifically about Armageddon.

How does it work with opening analysis?

I set it to "black must win" and entered in

1.e4 e5
2.Nf3

and let it think. 2...Nc6 was it's top choice, 2...Nf6 kept bouncing between 2nd and 3rd showing about +0.20 in IA

But with Armageddon off the Petroff is punished more harshly by Komodo (+0.5 or so) !
What am I missing here?
Werewolf

Re: Komodo 14 Armageddon Opening analysis

Post by Werewolf »

Clarification: the difference between 2...Nc6 and 2...Nf6 was greater with Armageddon off, which was not what I expected to see
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Werewolf wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:19 pm Didn't want to pollute the other thread, so I thought I'd make this specifically about Armageddon.

How does it work with opening analysis?

I set it to "black must win" and entered in

1.e4 e5
2.Nf3

and let it think. 2...Nc6 was it's top choice, 2...Nf6 kept bouncing between 2nd and 3rd showing about +0.20 in IA

But with Armageddon off the Petroff is punished more harshly by Komodo (+0.5 or so) !
What am I missing here?
Komodo increses the magnitude of Contempt when Armageddon is played, For "Black Must Win" it adds a negative Contempt on top of whatever Contempt is set to. In analysis mode (or go infinite) Contempt is set to zero unless "White Contempt" is true. If true is applies Contempt from White's point of view. So to keep your Contempt with "Black Must Win" and in analysis mode, set a negative Contempt. The defaut Contempt for Komodo is now 4.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Thanks.

Does Armageddon do more than just add contempt?

I suppose my point is this:
1) The Petroff is not an obvious choice when black has to win after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3.
2) The Petroff is a good opening normally though
3) Therefore, I was expecting a bigger difference between 2...Nc6 and 2...Nf6 in Armageddon mode, hoping to see Armageddon Komodo hate the Petroff.
Instead I saw a greater eval difference between 2...Nc6 and 2...Nf6 in normal mode.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Werewolf wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:32 pm 1) The Petroff is not an obvious choice when black has to win after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3.
The thing with 2...Nc6 would be that white is in control and all the variations I've seen have white being able to force a draw at will, or force black into having to go into much worse positions than the Petroff to avoid drawing.

This concept carries over to 1...e5, so I think it's poor choice when having to win, and the Sicilian (1...c5) should be favored (on the Spanish white can force the Marshall Counter-Gambit or similar structures for this, the Sicilian doesn't have such a clear mainline for this, and black can equalize and hope to turn the game around.)
Cornfed
Full name: Brian D. Smith

Post by Cornfed »

Werewolf wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:32 pm Thanks.

1) The Petroff is not an obvious choice when black has to win after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3.
3) Therefore, I was expecting a bigger difference between 2...Nc6 and 2...Nf6 in Armageddon mode, hoping to see Armageddon Komodo hate the Petroff.
Instead I saw a greater eval difference between 2...Nc6 and 2...Nf6 in normal mode.

Does one really thinking one can come up with anything rational after 1 move in a game?? From what I have been reading (I may misunderstand of course) this is not what 'Armageddon mode' is all about even if you were to let Komodo run for 14 days at move one.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Cornfed wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:45 am
Werewolf wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:32 pm Thanks.

Does one really thinking one can come up with anything rational after 1 move in a game?? From what I have been reading (I may misunderstand of course) this is not what 'Armageddon mode' is all about even if you were to let Komodo run for 14 days at move one.
Well, White can almost force a draw or get a slight advantage with the Italian 4,c3, d4 old lines, unless you believe in the two knights defense. So it is not impossible that draw-aversion would lead to choosing the Petroff over 2...Nc6 due to this early repetition (Qb3 Na5 Qa4+ Nc6). I remember once as Black after allowing the repetition against a somewhat lower rated master thinking that 2...Nc6 was a mistake if I must win as Black, although that is perhaps a bit too severe a statement.
Komodo rules!