Complete engine configuration

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Re: Complete engine configuration

Post by Ras » Thu May 21, 2020 7:25 am

Ovyron wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:42 am
Says the guy that finds putting "fewer / more" clickable text with no signal whatsoever that clicking it does anything
This is called "affordability", and lack thereof is bad UI design. Typically made by people who shouldn't be designing UIs in the first place. Even reading up the beginner articles on the Nielsen Norman Group website would have made that clear.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net

Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras » Thu May 21, 2020 12:42 pm

Ovyron wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:46 am
Actually I find SCID a very user-friendly interface and I learned how to do everything it can do by discovery (not reading guides, not asking a developer how to do something) in less than an hour. That's good design.
Btw, this is called "discoverability" in UI design, and it's one of the main reasons for a GUI in the first place. On the other hand, each user choice has a mental cost, so drowning the user in options is also wrong. Getting both right requires a bit more than slapping a CLI wrapper together. It needs a defined workflow where the defaults are the right thing most of the time, and hiding exotic options under some "advanced" tab or so. Discoverability can be achieved via the concept of "information scent".

(On the other hand, even using that "advanced options" approach can go wrong - see the typical Windows dialogues especially for network settings. What's lacking here is the "information scent" part so that people click randomly through the tabs.)
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net

giovanni

Post by giovanni » Thu May 21, 2020 1:30 pm

Hi, Fulvio. Thanks for your work on Scid. One thing that first it was not possible to do was to save/retrieve hash memory to/from disk. I am pretty sure that many users would really appreciate such a feature.
Thanks again.

Ovyron

Post by Ovyron » Thu May 21, 2020 11:47 pm

hgm wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:15 am
And again you show that your agenda is WinBoard bashing
No, I'm just talking about my personal experience. The most complex UI I've had to deal with is Winamp, a music player that satisfies all my needs, and they just went and packed it with all the features anyone could need, and allowed the ones missing to be built by the community via plugins.

To have the music titles of it the way I wanted, I had to insert this code in its Advanced Title Settings:

[$ifgreater(%length%,101000,$ifgreater(%length%,401000,$null(),$mod($div($sub(%length%,101000),1000),16)$mod($div($sub(%length%,101000),10000),10) ),$sub(100,$div(%length%,1000)) )]$if2(%title%,$filepart(%filename%)) $if2( - %artist%, - %folder%) . $fileext(%filename%) $if(%rating%,*%rating%*,$null()) $if2(%playcount%,$null())

(that's just an example about its complexity)

I've fully learned how to do everything it can do, and what all its features do. How? Because they made sure to be very clear about where clicking on the screen would do something.

I bet MOST people are finding out Winboard can do that by clicking the +tail text, just because these discussions are happening. It's like Winboard is so powerful that there's functions yet to be discovered, there's always a way to do something by clicking somewhere on the screen...

This isn't about bashing Winboard, it's about letting GUI designers that are reading this thread know how things are working around, so they make their best decisions for their users. So they don't waste time implementing features into their GUI that nobody will use, because they'd never think about clicking some text like the one you're reading on this post (clicking on text doing nothing is normal, dragging your mouse over it selects it so you can copy it or activate a right-click menu to do something with it. "The text IS a button" is something unique to Winboard, nobody that has learned how Operating Systems work would expect text to be a button.)