Stockfish NN release (NNUE)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Stockfish NN release (NNUE)

Post by zullil »

MikeB wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:43 pm
Aleksei wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:57 pm Hello guys!
I have a couple questions regarding android engines. I've made engines armv7 and armv8 (from nodchip's source code), and when i start the engine in the Droidfish, engine's behavior is identical to normal SF (although nps are much lower). Also in Droidfish/uci directory i've created a folder "eval" with "nn.bin" file inside, So here is the questions, how can i be sure that engine is using nn.bin?
Maybe because i use NDK's Clang for Android, engine must to have support for Clang, or i need to make some changes in source code?
Any help is much appreciated!
Here is the engines if you want to try. https://www.mirrored.to/files/1JXPZSMW/

Regards.
Alex.
start the engine in terminal and type "ucinewgame" - you should see a message confirming the nnfile was loaded.

If you do not, you may have that missed that the build command was changed for building NN

e.g., make ARCH=armv7 build COMP=gcc
would become
make -ARCH=armv7 nnue COMP=gcc
I think that should be

make nnue ARCH=armv7

(COMP=gcc is the default)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

zullil wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:47 am
Aleksei wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:57 pm Hello guys!
I have a couple questions regarding android engines. I've made engines armv7 and armv8 (from nodchip's source code), and when i start the engine in the Droidfish, engine's behavior is identical to normal SF (although nps are much lower). Also in Droidfish/uci directory i've created a folder "eval" with "nn.bin" file inside, So here is the questions, how can i be sure that engine is using nn.bin?
Maybe because i use NDK's Clang for Android, engine must to have support for Clang, or i need to make some changes in source code?
Any help is much appreciated!
Here is the engines if you want to try. https://www.mirrored.to/files/1JXPZSMW/

Regards.
Alex.
start the engine in terminal and type "ucinewgame" - you should see a message confirming the nnfile was loaded.

If you do not, you may have that missed that the build command was changed for building NN

would become
I think that should be

make nnue ARCH=armv7

(COMP=gcc is the default)
Indeed, you are correct . That is what happens when a CPA starts giving out coding advice ;>) Thanks!
Aleksei
Full name: Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

would become
Hi Mike, thanks for the tip, but still it doesn't work for me. I'm using NDK's toolchain with Clang (not GCC) for android engines, on my PC (Windows 7 x64). Since android's Clang doesn't have a shell (the shell appears only once, when clang generate engines). I'm using a batch file with follow commands (eg for normal Stockfish arm7).

Code: Select all

echo Generating 32 bit engine for ARM-Android.
set "compiler_options=-m32 -march=armv7-a -fPIE -Wl,-pie -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=vfpv3-d16 -mthumb -Wl,--fix-cortex-a8 -lm -DUSE_POPCNT -O3 -flto -static-libstdc++ -std=c++11 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-strict-overflow -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,-s"
So it would be nice if someone could explain which flags i have to write in batch file for SF NNUE, i've tried -nnue and -fnnue but compiler doesn't understand it. I might be wrong, but i think the source code need to have a better support for Clang.
Thank you!
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Aleksei wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:09 pm

would become
Hi Mike, thanks for the tip, but still it doesn't work for me. I'm using NDK's toolchain with Clang (not GCC) for android engines, on my PC (Windows 7 x64). Since android's Clang doesn't have a shell (the shell appears only once, when clang generate engines). I'm using a batch file with follow commands (eg for normal Stockfish arm7).

set "compiler_options=-m32 -march=armv7-a -fPIE -Wl,-pie -mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=vfpv3-d16 -mthumb -Wl,--fix-cortex-a8 -lm -DUSE_POPCNT -O3 -flto -static-libstdc++ -std=c++11 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-strict-overflow -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,-s"
So it would be nice if someone could explain which flags i have to write in batch file for SF NNUE, i've tried -nnue and -fnnue but compiler doesn't understand it. I might be wrong, but i think the source code need to have a better support for Clang.
Thank you!
Try -"nnue" without the dash ...just "nnue' - no quotes of course ..
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

MikeB wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:44 pm

would become

Thank you!
also, just fyi, we did it get it to compile on a 32 bit pi, but it did require gcc 10 and I don't believe on the pi, clang would compile this -did not even try a as I recognized gcc 10 was going to be required .. and gcc 10 is not the standard on pi - not sure I can help you if the "nnue" does not work without the quotes - we are beyond my level of what limited expertise I have
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

MikeB wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:48 pm
MikeB wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:44 pm

would become

Thank you!
also, just fyi, we did it get it to compile on a 32 bit pi, but it did require gcc 10 and I don't believe on the pi, clang would compile this -did not even try a as I recognized gcc 10 was going to be required .. and gcc 10 is not the standard on pi - not sure I can help you if the "nnue" does not work without the quotes - we are beyond my level of what limited expertise I have
You might want to grab the source from my github site - for the Pi , I had to add one system header manually
- it was not for the faint of heart. I will post the link if you want to try ,I have separate branch for the Pi - somebody, a while back submitted a patch to my fork compile for the andorid - but I do not know if it will work here. Again - I'm a retied CPA, I'm not a programmer - had one course in programming -APL in 1979. APL was used primarily in IBM mainframes starting in the 60'/70'ss, it hung around for while since so many Iof BM mainframes hung around for awhile. My formal training education in programming is VERY LOW. I only do this because I like to do it, not because I'm good at it.
Scipion
Full name: Al Stemms

Post by Scipion »

New, Blitz 1min+3sec-1 2020

1 2 3 4 5
1 SF NNUE halfkp-256 090720,x64 bmi2 ********** ½0½½½½½½½½ ½½1½½½½½½½ ½½½½½1½½½½ 1½1½½1½1½1 23.0/40
2 SF200620MZ 64 BMI2 ½1½½½½½½½½ ********** ½½0½½½½½½½ ½½½½½½½½½½ ½½11½1½½½1 22.0/40
3 BrainLearn 9.1.1 64 BMI2 ½½0½½½½½½½ ½½1½½½½½½½ ********** ½½½½½½½½½½ 10½11½½½1½ 21.5/40
4 Stockfish 110720 64 BMI2 ½½½½½0½½½½ ½½½½½½½½½½ ½½½½½½½½½½ ********** ½½1½½½½½1½ 20.5/40
5 Komodo 14 64-bit 0½0½½0½0½0 ½½00½0½½½0 01½00½½½0½ ½½0½½½½½0½ ********** 13.0/40

Little tournament 2 weeks ago, 2 threads each, no book .... Just wanted to share it ... seems times where SF was always alone on top of all engines tournaments, and far ahead, are over ...
petero2
Full name: Peter Osterlund

Post by petero2 »

Aleksei wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:09 pm I'm using NDK's toolchain with Clang (not GCC) for android engines, on my PC (Windows 7 x64). Since android's Clang doesn't have a shell (the shell appears only once, when clang generate engines). I'm using a batch file with follow commands (eg for normal Stockfish arm7).

So it would be nice if someone could explain which flags i have to write in batch file for SF NNUE
The Makefile contains the following:

nnue: config-sanity
	$(MAKE) CXXFLAGS='$(CXXFLAGS) -DEVAL_NNUE -DENABLE_TEST_CMD -fopenmp' LDFLAGS='$(LDFLAGS) -fopenmp' build
So I think you need to add "-DEVAL_NNUE -DENABLE_TEST_CMD -fopenmp" to your bat file.
Aleksei
Full name: Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

petero2 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:46 am
Aleksei wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:09 pm I'm using NDK's toolchain with Clang (not GCC) for android engines, on my PC (Windows 7 x64). Since android's Clang doesn't have a shell (the shell appears only once, when clang generate engines). I'm using a batch file with follow commands (eg for normal Stockfish arm7).

So it would be nice if someone could explain which flags i have to write in batch file for SF NNUE

$(MAKE) CXXFLAGS='$(CXXFLAGS) -DEVAL_NNUE -DENABLE_TEST_CMD -fopenmp' LDFLAGS='$(LDFLAGS) -fopenmp' build
So I think you need to add "-DEVAL_NNUE -DENABLE_TEST_CMD -fopenmp" to your bat file.
Hi Peter, please check your PM!
petero2
Full name: Peter Osterlund

Post by petero2 »

Aleksei wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:35 am
petero2 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:46 am

Hi Peter, please check your PM!
Hi Aleksei,

I don't like using PM for things that could be of interest for more than one person, but here are some more things I found out:

I also got crashes when using NDK r21d, so I used version r20b instead. I suspect this is related to the -fopenmp flag and I also suspect you only need this flag to run the training code, but I have not tested this.

For recent NDK versions you no longer need to create a standalone toolchain. You can run the compiler directly from the bin directory created when unpacking the NDK zip file, e.g. something like d:\android-ndk-r20b\toolchains\llvm\prebuilt\windows_something\bin. It may still work to create a standalone toolchain though, I have not tested that.

You don't need to change the Makefile when using your bat file because it is invoking the compiler directly so the Makefile is not used.