Help with Scorpio 3.0.8

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Daniel Shawul

Re: Help with Scorpio 3.0.8

Post by Daniel Shawul »

It looks like the selfplay game generation script is not generating any games. I have had this problem when the net downloaded
is corrupted for some reason on vast.ai. What I did is remove "checksum.txt" net.uff *.trt files in the client directory.
It will then redownload the net and hopefully start generating games. Also kill other scorpio processes that may have been hanging around.

To check if the problem is coming to form something else, go to the bin/Windows directory and see if "scorpio.bat go quit" runs normally.
I have actually had this problem too on vast ai instance when the GPU stopped working properly or when I run out of disk space etc.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Dann, your client is malfunctioning, please restart it when you get the chance.
It is sending 0 length games and somehow interfering with other clients.
I need to find a better solution for when this happens again.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I killed it, deleted the uff file and restared.
Seems like this job needs a lot of babysitting.
But it becomes more stable with each pass
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

A week ago this would have been a disaster as the malfunctioning client would have written null bytes to the training data.
I have now safeguards for that and a sanity check on the training data, but it is still not perfect yet.
Thanks for your patience.
Dann Corbit

Counting flowers on the wall?

Post by Dann Corbit »

First of all, welcome to Cliff!
Daniel Shawul wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:44 pm Information is on my website http://scorpiozero.ddns.net
Are you bored out of your skull by months of Covid19 lockdown:
https://genius.com/The-statler-brothers ... all-lyrics

Do not despair, sure.. you could play 10,000 games against Hank who has the 2x 7h12 64 core CPUs, 8x 2080 TI GPUs and 4 TB RAM with 7 man syzygy and get your face pounded into the dirt...

Or you could throw some effort at Scorpio and make the next version seismic.
Yes, you could join the pool of 12K Stockfish programmers and have your own fishcooking forum.
Or, you could join the LC0 party and be another voice, calling in the wilderness.

Or... You could join the Scorpio team and end world hunger, prejudice, crime and war and help Scorpio win more games. OK, the first few claims are a little inflated, but here is an interesting tangential effort that could use some help.
YOUR HELP

Or, there is always playing solitaire till dawn with a deck of 51, (and don't knock Captain Kangaroo or Mr. Green Jeans either!)
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Thanks Dann for your contribution and motivating others as well!

Yes, Cliff have had some rough start with his 2 GPUs on windows delivering only 4 games/min and 8 games/min.
He switched to Ubuntu for the weaker GPU (a 2060 super), and then got 32 games/min with is 8x better.
The other GPU is an 2080 ti and has 12 cpu cores but its performance is much worse.
I don't know what is wrong with windows client, but this needs to improve if it is attract potential contirbutors.
I should have done this some time ago when you warned me about its GPU usage on your system..
It is a priority now and hopefully will fix it this week.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

It is becoming more stable and usable.
At least now I do not have to babysit the process any more. I can trust it to do its job.
So if it is not as fast as possible, it just means that it takes more time.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Dann, update client when you get the chance, and resinstall scorpio too.
I have added a resign feature to selfplay games (which I thought I had) and this has doubled game generation rate!

Thansk
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Will do
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

This is the Scorpio binary that I have:
Directory of C:\Users\dannc\chess\nn-dist-master\Scorpio\bin\Windows
06/04/2020 03:22 PM 1,152,000 scorpio.exe

Is that the correct one?
If not, where do I find it?