Teams of chess engines in a league with schedules\playoffs

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JohnW

Teams of chess engines in a league with schedules\playoffs

Post by JohnW »

I would like to create teams of chess engines and have them compete against other teams of chess engines. Put them all in a league, with a schedule and eventually playoffs. Like real sports teams, you might have one or two superstars (Lc0, Stockfish) on your team, it's how strong your teams is as a whole that matters.

Is there a chess gui that would help facilitate such a thing where I could create a tournament between teams where team members don't play each other, only the members of the other team?

A single match might be something like:

Team 1 - Stockfish 11, Komodo 9, Fritz 16, Rybka 3

vs

Team 2 - Critter 1.6, Fat Fritz, Houdini 5, Zappa Mexico II

League Standings:

Conference 1 - East Division
Team 1
Team 2
Team 3

Conference 1- Central Division
Team 4
Team 5
Team 6

etc etc

Thanks for your help..
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Teams of chess engines in a league with schedules\playoffs

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

JohnW wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:18 pm I would like to create teams of chess engines and have them compete against other teams of chess engines. Put them all in a league, with a schedule and eventually playoffs. Like real sports teams, you might have one or two superstars (Lc0, Stockfish) on your team, it's how strong your teams is as a whole that matters.

Is there a chess gui that would help facilitate such a thing where I could create a tournament between teams where team members don't play each other, only the members of the other team?

A single match might be something like:

Team 1 - Stockfish 11, Komodo 9, Fritz 16, Rybka 3

vs

Team 2 - Critter 1.6, Fat Fritz, Houdini 5, Zappa Mexico II

League Standings:

Conference 1 - East Division
Team 1
Team 2
Team 3

Conference 1- Central Division
Team 4
Team 5
Team 6

etc etc

Thanks for your help..
Just do it manually under the Fritz GUI via chess engines matches ....

Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

If your GUI schedules a series of Gauntlets, just program 1 Gauntlet for every engine on one of the teams against the other teams and that's it.

BTW, great idea! I might just go and steal it. There's the huge problem of strong engines beating weak ones all the time, so making them play is pointless. Within the context of a team the other team members can be counting on them to win their games, so it makes sense to have them play.

Also, it can involve "coach" strategy. You don't want to send your strongest engine against the strongest one of the opponent, because the other is going to win anyway; you send the weakest and use the strongest on the team to produce more wins against the rest!
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

JohnW wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:18 pm
I think this is an awesome idea!

My suggestion is to add it as a feature request to the Banksia thread. I'll definitely jump in with some support on that. I think someone as bright as Nguyen would have no trouble implementing a teams feature in Banksia tournaments.

Very exciting if so, the possibilities are endless! 8-)
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

ChessGUI has a team v team option, but each member of one team is set up to play all members of the other team.

However, editing the schedule file to play on a board by board basis is fairly easy.

You'll see I have run numerous team v team matches this way.
The last was here: http://kirill-kryukov.com/chess/discuss ... =7&t=11837
gbanksnz at gmail.com
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Graham Banks wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:02 am ChessGUI has a team v team option, but each member of one team is set up to play all members of the other team.

However, editing the schedule file to play on a board by board basis is fairly easy.

You'll see I have run numerous team v team matches this way.
The last was here: http://kirill-kryukov.com/chess/discuss ... =7&t=11837
Great, thank you. I will give that a try..