Any news about new Fire and/or Xiphos?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, bob, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5641
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Any news about new Fire and/or Xiphos?

Post by Rebel » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:45 pm

For some there is no cure for the CC virus.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
kranium
Posts: 1909
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:43 am

Re: Any news about new Fire and/or Xiphos?

Post by kranium » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:14 pm

Hey guys-

When the pandemic hit, I suddenly found a whole lot of extra free time.

Fire 8 beta became a modernized version of 7.1, with source code improved to c++17...
a whole host of clang-tidy recommendations/fixes applied, along with an attempt to improve search depth etc.

Unfortunately it seems to have regressed, finished last in DivP, and was relegated to a lower division.
For this reason it won't be released, and I (probably) won't try to fix it.

Main reason: I'm now involved with Stockfish-nnue...
trying to help Nodchip, Joerg Oster, ttak, qhapaq-49, etc. improve the code-base
https://github.com/nodchip/Stockfish/

I've been able to contribute several commits to date, and authored a Windows GUI to help train networks:
https://github.com/FireFather/nnue-gui

I've also been managing a repository offering optimized Windows compiles (popcnt included)
https://github.com/FireFather/sf-nnue
(9 new binaries released today)

all of which keeping me pretty busy ATM

Best Regards-
Norm

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 4393
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: Any news about new Fire and/or Xiphos?

Post by Ovyron » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:53 pm

And it's possible Stockfish-NNUE becomes the strongest chess engine in the future, so that's understandable.

I just hope they can find a new name for the thing...

Post Reply