Et Mortuus Est Rex

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Et Mortuus Est Rex

Post by BrendanJNorman » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:19 am

carldaman wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:58 pm

EDIT: More relevant may be the rapid rating where it's only 2400+ (lichess rating, not CCRL).
Not exactly.

My feeling is that rapid time controls attract far more cheats, and so Nezh is losing more games to more "correct" engines like SF and Komodo.

Even 5 5 is enough for a massively deflated rating on most free servers due to cheating.

Much easier to relay moves from Fritz.

carldaman

Post by carldaman » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:46 am

There have been a couple of rapid losses due to cheats, and a few more due to time-outs/glitches, so the rapid rating is somewhat deflated. The losses are so few that I know about all of them, basically.

It's been mostly humans and some weak engines among Nezh's rapid opponents. Generally, the more rated games humans play against it, the more its rating will go up. I'm hoping that stronger humans can go for more rapid games, to push its rating up some more. :)

The biggest known scalp so far has been GM Luke McShane, but that was only a fast blitz game. If there is no increment, any human will be toast in blitz.

Ovyron

Post by Ovyron » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:08 am

carldaman wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:46 am
There have been a couple of rapid losses due to cheats
Report them and get your rating points back, lichess bans the accounts and refunds the rating points within 24 hours.

carldaman

Post by carldaman » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:36 pm

Right, and I have, but only got back half of the reported losses. Luckily there have been less than a handful of such incidents. More common are the time-outs. :x :|

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:14 pm

Hi

Just started a game against Patzer 3.80 with the black pieces playing again a solid variation of the Old Indian Defense and my first impression is that it plays mainly a positional chess with a minimum amount of aggressiveness nothing compared to the monster called Tigran even though they are equally rated in the CRLL rating list ....

Will post the game when I finish it as for now the position in nearly equal ....

Cheers,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:15 pm

Hi

Patzer is a lovely chess engine to play against as a human ....

It's plays relatively solid chess but it's weakness is demonstrated by it's passive style and a poor counter attack abilities especially when it's under pressure in a bad position ....

Frankly speaking,I had a slight hope that I will dominate the game until the white's 38th move ....
That's when I decided to attack bearing in mind several positive factors like the bad pawn structure of white on the queenside,the advanced 3 black pawns formations on the kingside and of course the poor counter play measures that the chess engine is demonstrating ....

I am thinking of playing 1. e4 with the white pieces because with 1. b3 I am pretty much sure that Patzer will not be able to hold the game ....

We'll see regards,
Dr.D

P.S So far five games against 3 engines from the CRLL rated 2400 and above and no draws ....

_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

carldaman

Post by carldaman » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:55 am

Hey Dr. Deeb, why not venture a game against the older version of Patzer that Frank Q put out? It's supposed to have the best playing style of all Patzers. It looks like you could use more of a challenge. ;)

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:06 am

carldaman wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:55 am
Hey Dr. Deeb, why not venture a game against the older version of Patzer that Frank Q put out? It's supposed to have the best playing style of all Patzers. It looks like you could use more of a challenge. ;)
Hi,

Actually I was going to play a 4 games match against it taking a pause from climbing the CRLL rating list ....

Cheers,
Dr.D

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:49 pm

Hi

A Larsen-Nimzowitsch attack slaughtered another chess engine ....

In this particular game as you will see,Patzer started to push his kingside pawns in a poor attempt to attack the white king way before his intention to make a long castle ....

Now,to counter his early middle game aggression was not a problem for me and I even got further and pushed my pawns to close the position not because I was terrified from his playing style,but because I was certain that he was going to blunder ....

I admit that I used a bit of an anti-computer strategy here but on the other hand there is no excuse for a 2400 Elo chess engine to play that weak ....

People,these engines that I played till now are definitely overrated and with this I don't want to disrespect the huge efforts made by the CCRL team...

On the contrary,I just wanted to include a human factor into the rating list,something to rattle the digital monsters pool ....

I played 6 games till now and the result is 5 out 6 so either these engines are extremely overrated or I am a 2600 Elo chess player without knowing it :mrgreen:

Facts for thoughts regards,
Dr.D

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:04 pm

Next Opponent from the CCRL rating list is KnightDreamer 3.3 .....

If my memory serves me right,it's playing style is tactical and solid attacking chess ....

We'll see ....

I'll hit it with the old Indian Defense if possible or with the Caro-Kann Defense against 1. e4 ....

With the white pieces I'll stick to the marvelous 1. b3 for now ....

Cheers,
Dr.D