Ryzen 9 3950x with 37 HT cores??

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

corres

Re: Ryzen 9 3950x with 37 HT cores??

Post by corres »

corres wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:25 pm Seeing the system is very stable at CPU clock 4.0 GHz and RAM clock 3000 MHz XMP level 2 or 3, I enhanced manually the parameters until the system working was also stable.
When I tried CPU clock at 4.5 GHz only the Windows was stable but when I started the Stockfish, the system halted. Decreasing the CPU clock to 4.4 GHz and Increasing the CPU core voltage 1.425V the system become
stable at 80-85 grade Celsius die temperature. The power consumption of CPU was ~180 Watt.
It seems to me in my air cooled system this 4.4 GHz CPU clock is the maximum for working .
To control the CPU parameters I used the value displayed by the BIOS and the HWINFO64 ver 6.28 HW-monitor program.
Using a good water cooler the CPU clock of 4.5 GHz may be reached too.
Note
To buy a good CPU, it need some luckiness also!
When I set the parameters the room temperature was ~27 grad Celsius (important!)
The CPU load line parameters was "low" and "normal", the SMT and power boost were OFF.
Note
Using CPU clock 4.4 GHz , the chess bench is 39.5 Mn/sec, so the enhancement is about 30 %.
I do not make rough stability test (Prime95 and similar) because I use the PC for playing chess only,
and the maximal load is an engine-engine test .