LizardFish 0.1 NNUE now available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

LizardFish 0.1 NNUE now available

Post by dkappe »

After the big snafu from earlier, here LizardFish 0.1, trained on only 6 million games. Somewhere between the last Texel and Komodo 13 in strength. https://www.patreon.com/posts/39496596
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
matejst
Full name: Boban Stanojević

Re: LizardFish 0.1 NNUE now available

Post by matejst »

Thanks, Dietrich. I hope this time it will be OK.

Meanwhile, to answer a question you asked on Discord, a lot of engines are stronger than Komodo (and SF) at depth 8: probably Hiarcs, Gandalf 7, even Pro Deo. A net trained on Benjamin depth 8 could be very intriguing.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

matejst wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:31 am Thanks, Dietrich. I hope this time it will be OK.

Meanwhile, to answer a question you asked on Discord, a lot of engines are stronger than Komodo (and SF) at depth 8: probably Hiarcs, Gandalf 7, even Pro Deo. A net trained on Benjamin depth 8 could be very intriguing.
Probably this is just because Komodo reduces much more heavily than most other engines (excluding Stockfish). If you just set Use LMR in Komodo to false, it should improve a huge amount at depth 8. But if you want stronger play for the same amount of time, just using depth 9 instead is probably better. I don't know whether more depth or turning off LMR would be better for training a net.
Komodo rules!
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

dkappe wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:11 am After the big snafu from earlier, here LizardFish 0.1, trained on only 6 million games. Somewhere between the last Texel and Komodo 13 in strength. https://www.patreon.com/posts/39496596
Very interesting, the Lc0 training method is quite different than the SF and Komodo *.bin approach, see the link.

http://rebel13.nl/html/nn.html
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

matejst wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:31 am Thanks, Dietrich. I hope this time it will be OK.

yes, Yes, YES....... :D
matejst

Post by matejst »

lkaufman wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:37 am

Probably this is just because Komodo reduces much more heavily than most other engines (excluding Stockfish). If you just set Use LMR in Komodo to false, it should improve a huge amount at depth 8. But if you want stronger play for the same amount of time, just using depth 9 instead is probably better. I don't know whether more depth or turning off LMR would be better for training a net.
Larry, Ed Shroeder made multiple tests with different depths (you can find them on his site) and, yes, it is the most probable reason. But it seems also that the evaluation of these engines is better adapted to lower depths.
matejst

Post by matejst »

dkappe wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:11 am After the big snafu from earlier, here LizardFish 0.1, trained on only 6 million games. Somewhere between the last Texel and Komodo 13 in strength. https://www.patreon.com/posts/39496596
So far, although far from conclusive, it seems closer to the upper limit. It was better than RubiChess 1.7.3 and Komodo 11 in short matches at 2'2".
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

Rebel wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:37 am

You have a Benjamin linux executable?
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

dkappe wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:32 pm
Rebel wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:37 am

You have a Benjamin linux executable?
Unfortunately not.
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

Rebel wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:39 pm
dkappe wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:32 pm You have a Benjamin linux executable?
Unfortunately not.
I might be able to run a Windows one in WINE. Right now I’m generating some data for Toga II 4.01. It’s rattling and wheezing it’s way to d8 with lots of extra nodes. :-)