New chess rig

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Zenmastur

Re: TRX40 mobos

Post by Zenmastur »

Milos wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:49 am
Zenmastur wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:40 am If you think you know something about my system that I don't please enlighten us. I think this will expose us to more substance than just your verbal diarrhea.
I know that you either don't know how to reliably measure nps of SF or that you are simply lying, because gaining 15+% of average SF performance in nps just by using faster DRAM settings is simply impossible. Period. It's the same type of statement as "I changed my cooler and I am getting 50% extra nps". Now go and bullshit someone else.
I was planning on posting benches some time today. I reset the BIOS, so all settings would go to their defaults. Tested main main memory at 2133Mhz with all setting set to auto, so all secondary and tertiary memory timings were set by the BIOS "learning" process. I ran a set of benches then turned on XMP and let it self train. I had trouble getting over 10% difference between the two. Then I noticed that near the end of the benches the CPU was throttling. Upon further inspection I noticed one of the fans had a locked rotor. While trying to remedy the situation I dropped a screw driver on top of the case. This ended up breaking a blade off the top case fan which immeadiatly wedged itself into the rear CPU fan. So, now any heavy load throttles the CPU at 95C. I'm ordering replacements now. As soon as these are replaced I'll complete the benches and post them here.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Zenmastur

Re: TRX40 mobos

Post by Zenmastur »

corres wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:45 am
Zenmastur wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:09 am
Joost Buijs wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:00 pm ...
Memory speed is not very important, the difference in speed I measured between 2133 MT/s and 3200 MT/s memory is at max. 5%, buying very expensive G.Skill memory with low latency to gain maybe 1 or 2% is IMHO complete nonsense.
I see statements like this a lot.
The first thing to note is the performance of the memory subsystem is, to a great extent, determined by the BIOS. Jedec/XMP profiles only store a few of the memory timings needed to initialize the memory subsystem. The rest are determined at boot time by a process called “learning” in which the BIOS tries different values in the many timing parameters visible in most BIOSs. Not all parameters are visible in the BIOS and therefore can't be changed or modified by “normal” means.
The other MAJOR issue is the quality of the MB memory trace layout. A poor design, will perform poorly and may not allow the RAM to reach it's full potential.
Since there are several different RAM manufacturers, many different memory chips with different strengths and weaknesses, many different retail memory vendors, many different motherboards manufactures, and many different BIOSs out there making a claim like “Memory speed is not very important,” is completely worthless and misleading.
If you know relatively little and just buy a bunch of “RANDOM” parts and then do NOTHING other than enable your XMP profile you can expect shit result most of the time. If you want better results, you have to put a little more time and effort in to choosing your motherboard and RAM. During setup you have to take the time to control most or ALL of the memory timings.
Most people aren't willing to do this because it takes time and can be frustrating if you don't have a clue what's going on.
On my system the difference between running the ram at 2133 and 3200Mhz was about 12% in NPS using stockfish. That was just for enabling the XMP profile. I got another 3-4% by tweaking the ram parameters even though I have crap ram sticks (crap meaning they don't overclock well). They're stable enough, just not much head room for overclocking. E.g. I couldn't get them stable at any speed faster than 3200Mhz but some of the timings at 3200 could be cut to fraction of the value the BIOS had them set at. Many of the parameters weren't even close to the minimum at which they would run stable.
Different BIOSs will perform the “learning” tasks with different results. Some are good at it and some aren't. Certain types of chips will perform better than others, not because they are “better” in general, but because the BIOS finds better parameters for those chips. The easiest way to get around this is to manually control ALL the available timing parameters. Like this:

Code: Select all

Memory Type=	Hynix CJR	128GB	8 X 8Gb	Dual Rank	DDR4-2133	C/18nm lithogrophy	Downbin	MB=B0 Rev. 8-layer	Page 1Kb	8 Dimms  Gear-down mode Disabled
								DDR4-2133	Time ns	DDR4-3200	Time ns	DDR4-3200	Time ns	DDR4-3200	Time ns
Parameter Description				Parameter	JDEC@1067		XMP@1600		Actual (tested)		BIOS set@1600
CAS latency					tCL		15		14.1	16		10.0	14		8.8	16		10.0
RAS to CAS Delay read				tRCDRD		15		14.1	18		11.3	15		9.4	18		11.3
RAS to CAS Delay write				tRCDWR		15		14.1	18		11.3	17		10.6	18		11.3
RAS Precharge time				tRP		15		14.1	18		11.3	17		10.6	19		11.9
Active to Precharge Delay Time 			tRAS		36		33.7	36		22.5	28		17.5	36		22.5
Act to Act/Refresh Delay Time 			tRC		50		46.9	54		33.8	42		26.3	56		35.0
Short Row Active to Row Active Delay 		tRRDS		4		3.7	6		3.8	4		2.5	6		3.8
Long Row Active to Row Active Delay		tRRDL		6		5.6	9		5.6	6		3.8	8		5.0
Long CAS to CAS Delay Time 			tCCDL		6		5.6	9		5.6	9		5.6	9		5.6
Four Active Windows Delay 			tFAW	      	23		21.6	36		22.5	16		10.0	34		21.3
Normal Refresh Recovery Delay Time 		tRFC1								312		195.0	560		350.0
2x mode Refresh Recovery Delay Time 		tRFC2								192		120.0	440		275.0
4x mode Refresh Recovery Delay Time 		tRFC4								132		82.5	255		159.4

Write to Read delay Short			tWTRS								3		1.9	4		2.5
Write to Read delay Long			tWTRL								9		5.6	12		7.5
Write recovery time (8 CLK min.)		tWR								12		7.5	12		7.5
Read to Read delay same bank group		tRDRD SCL							3		1.9	4		2.5
Write to Write delay same bank group		tWRWR SCL							3		1.9	4		2.5
CAS Write Latency				tCWL								14		8.8	16		10.0
Read to Pre-charge Time				tRTP								8		5.0	8		5.0
Read Write Command spacing			tRDWR								5		3.1	7		4.4
Write Read Command Spacing			tWRRD								1		0.6	3		1.9
Write to Write Time same chip			tWRWR SC							1		0.6	1		0.6
Write to Write Time same DIMM			tWRWR SD							3		1.9	7		4.4
Write to Write Time diff. DIMM			tWRWR DD							3		1.9	7		4.4
Read to Read time same chip			tRDRD SC							1		0.6	1		0.6
Read to Read time same DIMM			tRDRD SD							3		1.9	5		3.1
Read to Read time diff. DIMM			tRDRD DD							3		1.9	5		3.1
Clock enable time				tCKE								1		0.6	1		0.6

The first four columns show what the JEDEC/XMP profiles control and the latencies at the given clock speed. The second four columns show what I manually set them to and what the BIOS set them to along with latencies. In some cases the difference between what the BIOS set them at and what they will reliably run at is VASTLY different. Two likely causes are the Hynix CJR chips were relatively new and the bios is probably tuned for Samsung and Crucial chips or earlier Hynix chips.
Some of the "Tested" timing are VERY pedestrian while others are VERY fast compared to other types/brands of memory chips. I got about an extra FEW IN PERFORMANCE OVER AND ABOVE THE PERFORMANCE THE XMP PROFILE PROVIDED. THE REASON THIS IS SO LOW IS BECAUSE THESE CHIPS WON'T RUN RELIABLY FASTER THAN 3200MHZ EVEN WITH HIGH VOLTAGES. But at the time I bought them I didn't really have another choice and I was tired of waiting for better memory to become available. Samsung B-die chips are known to run very fast. A lot faster than the ones I bought.

On Ryzen chips faster memory means faster infinity clocks (up to the fabrics clock limits) which means lower memory latency. Most AB engine are latency sensitive ( not sure about NN and NNUE) so lower latency means more NPS.
So, picking random components and expecting stellar performance isn't likely to happen. But people expect it to perform better because they spent more money on the RAM. Few ever think about learning what makes a memory subsystem fast. They just spend money and hope that's good enough. This happens all the time and then you see claims that faster memory doesn't make a difference.
If you want stellar memory performance you need to know a lot and specify every component, even the BIOS revision your going to use and then spend the time to actually set the parameters and do the testing to VERIFY that the settings you choose are actually faster. If you're not going to do that then it “IS” a waste of money.
Last note: The memory times given in this post aren't likely to run on any other system unless they have the exact same components as I do, and even then they will likely need to be tweaked to match your CPU/MB/Memory Dimms due to silicon lottery effects.
Regards,
Zenmastur
Thank you, Zenmastur this study about RAMs.
If somebody want a bench-winner machine, your study is a good help to him.
In practice the effect of speed of RAM on chess-Elo is rather low.
I agree. But a 10% or more increase in NPS can have an effect on engine matches or the generation of training FENs searched to a set depth. Sometimes you can find higher speed RAM or RAM that overclocks well without paying a premium. In which case there's no good reason not to buy it and get the extra performance.

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
jdart

Re: New chess rig

Post by jdart »

FYI, I flashed the BIOS to the latest version and then it worked (fortunately Gigabyte has a way to do this via USB that runs off a ROM and so does not even require a bootable system).

--Jon
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

jdart wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:38 am FYI, I flashed the BIOS to the latest version and then it worked (fortunately Gigabyte has a way to do this via USB that runs off a ROM and so does not even require a bootable system).

--Jon
Many new MB have this feature. It saves MBs from being bricked if the BIOS gets corrupted. This didn't use to be a problem, but as the software the initialises the MB became more complex the was more of a need for end users to be able to update the BIOS to fix software problems. This lead to a huge increase in RMAs due to the MB being bricked by failed BIOS updates. This cost the MB manufactures a lot of money and ill will. The solution was BIOS updates without having to boot the system or even having a CPU installed in the MB. It should be a standard feature on all MBs but some still lack this capability.

I'm glad you got it fixed without an RMA.

Regards,

Zenmastur
corres

Post by corres »

Zenmastur wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:18 am ...
Regards,
Zenmastur
I have a question to you:
Have you data from AMD about safe max. core voltage and safe max.die temperature for
Ryzen 9 3050x?
As I remember for Ryzen 7 1800x the max. safe core voltage was 1.450 Volts, the max.die temperature was ~82 degrees Celsius.
It is pity, but for Ryzen 9 3950x I can not find any "official" safe data.
Btw. the 105 Watts TDP is laughable low, in reality the TDP is about 210 Watts.