Stockfish NNUE

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Lion

Stockfish NNUE

Post by Lion »

Hello,

I need some help to get started here.
I have downloaded Stockfhish NNUE and installed it into Fritz GUI.
I wanted to change what I think to be the evaluation file (NN file?) but it seems that with one or without, nothing changes..... So I am wondering if I am not changing into the wrong repertoire....?

Where is the place to change the evaluation file (NN file?) ?

Thanks for your help

rgds
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Re: Stockfish NNUE

Post by zullil »

Lion wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:51 pm Hello,

I need some help to get started here.
I have downloaded Stockfhish NNUE and installed it into Fritz GUI.
I wanted to change what I think to be the evaluation file (NN file?) but it seems that with one or without, nothing changes..... So I am wondering if I am not changing into the wrong repertoire....?

Where is the place to change the evaluation file (NN file?) ?

Thanks for your help

rgds
Find the folder that contains the stockfish-nnue executable. In that same folder, see if there's a folder called eval. Put your nn.bin in that folder. I believe that's the default location that the engine uses. I think you can also change that location/name using the UCI EvalFile option.

option name EvalFile type string default ./eval/nn.bin
Lion

Post by Lion »

Thanks for your reply

I thought the file would be there
C:\Users\David\Documents\ChessEngines\StockfishNull\Stockfish-NNUE\eval

and I found a nn.bin but removing it and letting nothing in the folder doesn't change anything.... Stockfish NNUE installed can still analyse.

So I guess I am not in the correct folder?

rgds
zullil

Post by zullil »

Lion wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:12 pm Thanks for your reply

I thought the file would be there

and I found a nn.bin but removing it and letting nothing in the folder doesn't change anything.... Stockfish NNUE installed can still analyse.

So I guess I am not in the correct folder?

rgds
In your GUI, can you see/set the option called EvalFile?
Lion

Post by Lion »

Hello

Yes but there is no clear full pass such as

but just something like eval/eval.bin

rgds
zullil

Post by zullil »

Lion wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:57 pm Hello

rgds
If it's .\eval\eval.bin then rename your net file eval.bin and put in that eval folder. That or edit the current path to whatever you prefer.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

zullil wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:19 pm

rgds
If it's .\eval\eval.bin then rename your net file eval.bin and put in that eval folder. That or edit the current path to whatever you prefer.
Just be careful with the slashes - Unix was and always back slash, Windows used to be all forward slashes, but I see more more and programs taking the backslash in Windows- especially if they were developed by Linux developers. As an example , the Windows cutechess gui uses back slashes - I would guess chessbase/fritz would be forward slashes - but I am not certain.
Lion

Post by Lion »

rgds
The problem is that even if I errase all eval.bin files in the folder in question, Stockfish NNUE still works/calculate...... so my assumption is that it is not there => C:\Users\David\Documents\ChessEngines\StockfishNull\Stockfish-NNUE\eval
zullil

Post by zullil »

Lion wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:50 pm

rgds
The problem is that even if I errase all eval.bin files in the folder in question, Stockfish NNUE still works/calculate...... so my assumption is that it is not there => C:\Users\David\Documents\ChessEngines\StockfishNull\Stockfish-NNUE\eval
Yes, so does mine. But it prefers 1. a3 to start the game, for example:

Code: Select all

$ ./stockfish+nnue 
StockfishNNUE 200720 64 BMI2 by StockfishTeam

Compiled by g++ (GNUC) 10.1.0 on Linux
 __VERSION__ macro expands to: 10.1.0

ucinewgame
Error! ./eval/nn.bin not found or wrong format
go infinite
info depth 1 seldepth 1 multipv 1 score cp 0 nodes 20 nps 20000 tbhits 0 time 1 pv a2a3
info depth 2 seldepth 2 multipv 1 score cp 0 nodes 61 nps 30500 tbhits 0 time 2 pv a2a3 a7a6
info depth 3 seldepth 3 multipv 1 score cp 0 nodes 112 nps 56000 tbhits 0 time 2 pv a2a3 a7a6 a3a4
info depth 4 seldepth 4 multipv 1 score cp 0 nodes 220 nps 110000 tbhits 0 time 2 pv a2a3 a7a6 a3a4 a6a5
info depth 5 seldepth 5 multipv 1 score cp 0 nodes 418 nps 209000 tbhits 0 time 2 pv a2a3 a7a6 a3a4 a6a5 a1a3
info depth 6 seldepth 6 multipv 1 score cp 0 nodes 674 nps 337000 tbhits 0 time 2 pv a2a3 a7a6 a3a4 a6a5 a1a3 g8h6
info depth 7 seldepth 7 multipv 1 score cp 0 nodes 1002 nps 334000 tbhits 0 time 3 pv a2a3 a7a6 a3a4 a6a5 a1a3 g8h6 a3b3
Zenmastur

Post by Zenmastur »

I solved all those problems by making a folder named N:\eval and placing all bin files there. Then in the UCI options I set the N:\eval\binfilename.bin

It's "N:" because I don't have a drive c: on my machine. I assume on most windows machines it would be on drive c:

I haven't tried to to set it up in Cutechess-cli yet. I guess the next step for me. Anyone have a clue how to do this. i.e. an example file....

Regards,

Zenmastur
Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.