Asking to people who believe Leela NN is a book, what they think about SF NN now?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeGL

Re: Asking to people who believe Leela NN is a book, what they think about SF NN now?

Post by MikeGL »

Alayan wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:30 pm ...but perform a moderate start position alteration (invert bishops and knights, keep king/rook the same for castling) and you'll see relative performance drop against an engine with handcrafted eval.
Interesting claim, but I would like to see the said PGN games and stats of NN vs AB(with handcrafted eval) where start position was altered.
My common sense tells me that an NN or NNUE would still be able to play decent chess and can even destroy AB with handcrafted eval on that scenario because it will still easily detect strong outposts for N and B after a few moves.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Dann Corbit

Re: Asking to people who believe Leela NN is a book, what they think about SF NN now?

Post by Dann Corbit »

The neural net file has literally nothing whatsoever to do with a book,
That is because there are no games in it and there are no positions in it, none whatsoever.
What it contains are numbers. The numbers say, "patterns with these features are good, patterns with those features are bad."
Now, if by "these features" or "those features" we were talking about positions, then it would be a book.
But that is not what is in there.

I guess that we don't totally know what it stores, but it simply has knowledge of the rules of the game and things that it decided were good patterns and things that it decided were bad patterns.

If it saw mobility made you win, it would give a good number to mobility.
If it saw having a space advantage made you win, it would give a good number to space.
The file that it saves has exactly zero positions.
If we should ban the net file, then we must also ban evaluation constants and human thinking.

IMO-YMMV
Calling it a book is strange. Very strange, especially when people who I think are smart say it
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:34 am The neural net file has literally nothing whatsoever to do with a book,
That is because there are no games in it and there are no positions in it, none whatsoever.
What it contains are numbers. The numbers say, "patterns with these features are good, patterns with those features are bad."
Now, if by "these features" or "those features" we were talking about positions, then it would be a book.
But that is not what is in there.

I guess that we don't totally know what it stores, but it simply has knowledge of the rules of the game and things that it decided were good patterns and things that it decided were bad patterns.

If it saw mobility made you win, it would give a good number to mobility.
If it saw having a space advantage made you win, it would give a good number to space.
The file that it saves has exactly zero positions.
If we should ban the net file, then we must also ban evaluation constants and human thinking.

IMO-YMMV
Calling it a book is strange. Very strange, especially when people who I think are smart say it
I have seen people call it a EGTB also. I guess they don't know. I wish we could store all the information on a computer from being to end. But if that happened. No one would care about computer chess anymore. :cry:
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Nay Lin Tun wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:58 am As per title.
I've never been a fan of Leela, due to the fact that its just a book.
And frankly, I don't know how to read.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

AndrewGrant wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:18 am
I can tell you, it is not a book, or an EGTB. And if you think it was a book that means it has stored every position. And if you think that. You don't know as much about computer chess, as you think you do! Maybe you should consult a subject matter expert! :lol:
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Aye, and there's the rub.
Leela sings a beautiful song, and none of us even knows the key.

But I disagree. There is no book.

The robot bears the blade just as well, and with malice.

The book was not written by the lady
It was just a set of instructions how to kill
We, the gentle folk, knew little of her ways
But she borne razor knives the same, to force her wicked will
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:00 am
Aye, and there's the rub.
Leela sings a beautiful song, and none of us even knows the key.

But I disagree. There is no book.

The robot bears the blade just as well, and with malice.

The book was not written by the lady
It was just a set of instructions how to kill
We, the gentle folk, knew little of her ways
But she borne razor knives the same, to force her wicked will
Your argumentation is on the level of cavemen. You are attaching divine attributes to things you don't understand. Cavemen thought sun is a beautiful god just because they didn't understand that sun is actually a giant fusion reactor.
Milos

Post by Milos »

MikeGL wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:17 pm
Alayan wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:30 pm ...but perform a moderate start position alteration (invert bishops and knights, keep king/rook the same for castling) and you'll see relative performance drop against an engine with handcrafted eval.
Interesting claim, but I would like to see the said PGN games and stats of NN vs AB(with handcrafted eval) where start position was altered.
My common sense tells me that an NN or NNUE would still be able to play decent chess and can even destroy AB with handcrafted eval on that scenario because it will still easily detect strong outposts for N and B after a few moves.
It's not about which eval is stronger but about relative performance. A point Alayan is trying to make (IMO in a pretty clear way) is that NN has some memory about trained positions. A proof of that is that it doesn't have the same performance in positions that it has already seen and in those it hasn't. Classical evaluation function doesn't have that property. Therefore, in a repeated match starting from a known position NN vs classical eval engine would have a higher score in favor of NN engine than in case of very similar starting position that is unknown to NN.

So to answer the original question, no Leela NN is not a book, but it also is not just an evaluation function. It can make generalizations about positions in form of patterns, but it also has some sort of memory where it stores the best move. Does this memory give an additional advantage to Leela NN, it certainly does. Is this advantage fair, well that depends of how much you are a fanboy of Leela and it's clones/variants on one side, or SF on the other side.
the_real_greco
Full name: Andy!

Post by the_real_greco »

We still believe there is a difference between the 'is' of predication and the 'is' of identity, and therefore still believe "Leela is an opening book" is a true statement.

In other words, it depends on what the definition of 'is', is.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

the_real_greco wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:15 am We still believe there is a difference between the 'is' of predication and the 'is' of identity, and therefore still believe "Leela is an opening book" is a true statement.

In other words, it depends on what the definition of 'is', is.
By this definition, are not the evaluation constants within an ordinary hand-tuned evalution also and opening book?