Asking to people who believe Leela NN is a book, what they think about SF NN now?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
jhellis3
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: Asking to people who believe Leela NN is a book, what they think about SF NN now?

Post by jhellis3 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:15 pm

What hypothesis? I eagerly await your strawman.

dkappe
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:52 pm
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Re: Asking to people who believe Leela NN is a book, what they think about SF NN now?

Post by dkappe » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:19 pm

jhellis3 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:15 pm
What hypothesis? I eagerly await your strawman.
That leela networks are a book. Is that not the topic of this thread and of your oh so well reasoned broadsides?

jhellis3
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: Asking to people who believe Leela NN is a book, what they think about SF NN now?

Post by jhellis3 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:20 pm

Oh, and btw... I actually did outline a way to test if opening knowledge was in the NNs in the google groups post I made many moons ago. A pity nobody seems to have read it.

On the other hand, one could just take away any features which the NN might use in this regard (*cough* history *cough*), and I would call that good. Hell, even just previous to root history would be good enough, but I am quite sure I have also mentioned that many, many times before....

dkappe
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:52 pm
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Re: Asking to people who believe Leela NN is a book, what they think about SF NN now?

Post by dkappe » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:21 pm

jhellis3 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:20 pm
Oh, and btw... I actually did outline a way to test if opening knowledge was in the NNs in the google groups post I made many moons ago. A pity nobody seems to have read it.

On the other hand, one could just take away any features which the NN might use in this regard (*cough* history *cough*), and I would call that good. Hell, even just previous to root history would be good enough, but I am quite sure I have also mentioned that many, many times before....
You *are* the Hopfield Networks guy. :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 4392
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: Asking to people who believe Leela NN is a book, what they think about SF NN now?

Post by Ovyron » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:22 pm

Alayan wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:10 pm
It's pointless to argue with people who don't care about making gross logical mistakes in their reasoning.
It's pointless to argue with people who don't care about other people's gross logical mistakes in their reasoning, if they make them, to explain their flaws, to educate them.

We're not here to convince others, but to learn. If you think teaching other people how to reason is a waste of time, you're misusing the fora.

jhellis3
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: Asking to people who believe Leela NN is a book, what they think about SF NN now?

Post by jhellis3 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:22 pm

That leela networks are a book.
And there you have it. I never made this claim. Strawman complete. I have said it is possible Lc0 has book like features for the first several ply, though I do not claim to know to what degree this is true (if at all). In fact, as per my previous post, I outlined a test to measure this effect previously.... not that anybody ever did it mind you.

jhellis3
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: Asking to people who believe Leela NN is a book, what they think about SF NN now?

Post by jhellis3 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:24 pm

You *are* the Hopfield Networks guy. :lol: :lol:
Another ad hominem. This is strange behavior for someone embarrassing themselves, but whatever.... I think we are done here.

dkappe
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:52 pm
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Re: Asking to people who believe Leela NN is a book, what they think about SF NN now?

Post by dkappe » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:30 pm

jhellis3 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:24 pm
You *are* the Hopfield Networks guy. :lol: :lol:
Another ad hominem. This is strange behavior for someone embarrassing themselves, but whatever.... I think we are done here.
You feel that associating someone with Hopfield Networks is an ad hominem attack? I wonder what other mathematical, statistical and algorithmic concepts fall into this category. Also, pointing out that someone has a demonstrably poor understanding of the subject matter under discussion is scarcely an ad hominem attack. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Last edited by dkappe on Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jhellis3
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Re: Asking to people who believe Leela NN is a book, what they think about SF NN now?

Post by jhellis3 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:32 pm

You feel that associating someone with Hopfield Networks is an ad hominem attack?
I never said that either. What strawman number is this, I have lost count....

EDIT FOR CLARITY: You post clearly referred to the Hopfield Networks "guy" a person who you have previously identified as having some false beliefs, not Hopfield Networks in general. I have no knowledge of this "guy" but to be labeled as a person under a delusion qualifies an ad hominem in my book.
Last edited by jhellis3 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dkappe
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:52 pm
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Re: Asking to people who believe Leela NN is a book, what they think about SF NN now?

Post by dkappe » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:36 pm

jhellis3 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:32 pm
You feel that associating someone with Hopfield Networks is an ad hominem attack?
I never said that either. What strawman number is this, I have lost count....
Go back and read your own posts. We are done here.

Post Reply