SF-NN embedded

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Re: SF-NN embedded

Post by Damir »

plus you will have to delete 7-Zip file from your comp once you have load the engine.... it is double work all over...
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

I know that madly downloading everything must seem really stupid to a lot of people. Even I often question what the hell I am doing. It's like an addiction. I guess in a way it makes me feel like I am preserving a piece of history. Engine sites tend not to have a long shelf life, so I try and get while the getting is good, before a site goes offline and downloads disappear forever.

A few years ago, I had read that Robert Hyatt had a problem with his backups of Crafty, and as a result we are no longer able to download those ancient version of Crafty, because no one had preserved them. That story pained me, as Crafty really is an important part of computer chess history. Incidents like this are what motivate me to do what I do.
Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Post by Alayan »

Storing Stockfish's git history and the default nets is much more space efficient than storing every single compile. If the purpose is to "preserve history", this is more effective.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

tmokonen wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:04 pm I know that madly downloading everything must seem really stupid to a lot of people. Even I often question what the hell I am doing. It's like an addiction. I guess in a way it makes me feel like I am preserving a piece of history. Engine sites tend not to have a long shelf life, so I try and get while the getting is good, before a site goes offline and downloads disappear forever.

A few years ago, I had read that Robert Hyatt had a problem with his backups of Crafty, and as a result we are no longer able to download those ancient version of Crafty, because no one had preserved them. That story pained me, as Crafty really is an important part of computer chess history. Incidents like this are what motivate me to do what I do.
I wish I had a noble cause, because for me it is simply an illness.
:wink:
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

Vinvin wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:08 pm
Alayan wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:12 pm It seems 20MB of disk space is prohibitively expensive, or that 20MB of download is incredibly slow on the dial-up internet of the complainers.
Well said !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I remember having downloaded the 6-man syzygy tablebases using a dial-up connection. It took a week or so...
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

Gabor Szots wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:01 am
Alayan wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:12 pm It seems 20MB of disk space is prohibitively expensive, or that 20MB of download is incredibly slow on the dial-up internet of the complainers.
I remember having downloaded the 6-man syzygy tablebases using a dial-up connection. It took a week or so...
Are you sure it was 6-man ?
I made a quick math, at 7 KB/sec, it would take 150 days ....
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Vinvin wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:38 am
Amazing he still had a dial-up service after 2013 :D
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

I am not sure at all but I don't remember to have downloaded anything else and I am sure I would not have downloaded 5-man syzygy when I already had 5-man Nalimov and Gaviota. Unfortunately my memory is not that reliable any more.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

phhnguyen wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:53 am
And even after. We have had fibre optic in the street for only a couple of years.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

Gabor Szots wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:14 pm
phhnguyen wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:53 am
And even after. We have had fibre optic in the street for only a couple of years.
How come? You have fiber optic much sooner than me (I have optic cable to my house only this year) but cable/ADSL services (not a dial-up) about 10-12 years. Download speed of ADSL is not that bad.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager