Marvin 4.0.0

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Martin
Full name: Martin Danielsson

Marvin 4.0.0

Post by Martin »

Marvin 4.0.0 is now available. It is the same version as the one that played in TCEC S19. Based on my test gauntlets it's about 45 elo stronger than the previous version.

Release Notes
MultiPV support
Improved LMR formula
Evaluation of tempo
Switched to using only one slot for killer moves
Fixed issues with with ordering of promotion moves
Use PGO for builds

Binaries: https://github.com/bmdanielsson/marvin- ... tag/v4.0.0
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Re: Marvin 4.0.0

Post by Gabor Szots »

Thank you Martin.

I don't see resign in the ini file nor have I found a resign string in the executable, does it mean you have removed that feature? At least my current ini file for version 3.6.0 does have a line RESIGN=6:700.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group
Martin

Post by Martin »

The RESIGN feature has not been there for a long time. It was removed already for the 2.0.0 release.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Martin,

at first, thanks for Marvin!
I have the biggest interest to test your engine for the next FCP Tourney-2021.
I try it out for the FCP Tourney-2020.

I had massive problems with Fischer time control I am using, 20 minutes per game and 5 seconds per move.
Marvin used to much time from the 20 minutes for the first moves and lost some games in late middlegame without to have enough time (the 5 seconds only). I read on your site that you improved the time management for version 3.6.0. Not sure, maybe if you made here changes again for version 4.0.0?

Again, have thanks for Marvin and maybe you have time to check that.

Best
Frank
Martin

Post by Martin »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:27 am I had massive problems with Fischer time control I am using, 20 minutes per game and 5 seconds per move.
Marvin used to much time from the 20 minutes for the first moves and lost some games in late middlegame without to have enough time (the 5 seconds only). I read on your site that you improved the time management for version 3.6.0. Not sure, maybe if you made here changes again for version 4.0.0?
Hi Frank,

Thank you for reporting this. For 4.0.0 I fixed an issue for time controls without increments, but this will not solve the issue you're seeing with Fischer time controls. I tested the time management changes in 3.6.0 a lot but only at very fast time controls. Could be that there is an issue at longer time controls. I'll investigate this for the next release.

Regards
/Martin
Jamal Bubker

Post by Jamal Bubker »

Thank you Martin!
Madeleine Birchfield
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Post by Madeleine Birchfield »

Is it true that Marvin now uses NNUE?
Gary Internet

Post by Gary Internet »

Madeleine Birchfield wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:42 am Is it true that Marvin now uses NNUE?
If you click on the link in Martin's signature it will take you to the GitHub page of Marvin. One more click away, if you click where it currently says "305 commits" is this page - https://github.com/bmdanielsson/marvin- ... its/master.

From what I can see see there the answer to your question is yes, straight out of Cfish.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Yes, the next version of Marvin will use NNUE. The NNUE version will play in the upcoming TCEC Cup 7.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Good news!
So the next release from Marvin can start for my next FCP Tourney.
But for the moment the old FCP Toruney 2020 will be still running for the next 42 days (before ending).

Good luck with Marvin and your next release!!

Best
Frank