Next-Gen GPUs for LC0

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Re: Next-Gen GPUs for LC0

Post by Dann Corbit »

Ozymandias wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:14 am I don't know, I look at those 300W+ GPUs and I wonder what the utilities bill would look like (we have among the most expensive electricity in the world). I bought 3 1650 SUPERs back in January, and even those I have at 70% power.
Give in to the dark side, and suck power like a titanic inductor, screaming through a magnetar's magnetic field.
Sure, you will eat one potato a day, but you will have beautiful chess. Which is more important?
:twisted:

I have 2 x 2080 supers in my most powerful box, and I am salivating for the release of the new Nvidia cards. But I am also very curious about the new AMD stuff.

I have read about boxes that will hold 20 GPUs. Can the power people with battering rams be far from my front door?

P.S.
Telsa caused brownouts in the Colorado city closest to his titanic lab. He may have once caused a towering electric blaze in Australia with one of his experiments (opposite pole on the earth to his machine).

My hero.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
towforce

Post by towforce »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:50 pmGive in to the dark side, and suck power like a titanic inductor, screaming through a magnetar's magnetic field. Sure, you will eat one potato a day, but you will have beautiful chess. Which is more important?

If it's not too inconvenient, it would be interesting for you to watch two computers, one playing against itself at 3000 elo and the other playing against itself at 4000 elo. It must be randomised so that you yourself don't know which is which. Then see whether you can tell which is which.

Last year, I got annoyed with one of my friends who drinks coca cola, which is well over 5x more expensive than supermarket cola*, so I made him do a blind tasting: it failed - he called out the supermarket cola on the very first sip! :oops: But maybe "cheap chess" can do better than than the supermarket cola...

*IIRC coca cola was 80p for a 20cl can, but supermarket cola was 50p for a 1 litre bottle
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I would guess that the one that wins the most has 4000 Elo and the won that wins less is 3000 Elo.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
towforce

Post by towforce »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:11 pm I would guess that the one that wins the most has 4000 Elo and the won that wins less is 3000 Elo.

Looks as though my edit to include "playing against itself" came too late. :cry:
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:50 pmGive in to the dark side, and suck power like a titanic inductor, screaming through a magnetar's magnetic field.
Sure, you will eat one potato a day, but you will have beautiful chess. Which is more important?
:twisted:
I played centaur chess for beauty, but I don't find much in draws, which is what we've had for over five years. I'm just going trough the motions, really. I started with a DB and once I couldn't see a way to improve it (other than updating), I started to play games from it, to get more reliable statistics. Will it be good for winning even a single beautiful game? I don't know, but I'd like to make sure (or as sure as I can with the resources at my disposal).

On the other hand, I like potatoes :mrgreen:
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Ozymandias wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:21 pm On the other hand, I like potatoes :mrgreen:
https://www.livescience.com/45838-potat ... 20potatoes.

OK, I confess, I was born in Idaho.
https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-offi ... bol/potato
The license plates in Idaho say "Famous Potatoes" on the bottom.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Where I live, they bring them to your home. I buy 20Kg bags for at most 20€, it's the flagship product around here (that and milk). So I have both expensive electricity and cheap potatoes. The power consumption of a single 3090 would probably be like one bag less a month.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Ozymandias wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:20 pm Where I live, they bring them to your home. I buy 20Kg bags for at most 20€, it's the flagship product around here (that and milk). So I have both expensive electricity and cheap potatoes. The power consumption of a single 3090 would probably be like one bag less a month.
$5.47 for a 20 pound bag, and they are not even on sale:
So, 5.47/1.19 = 4.6 Euro
20/2.2 = 9Kg
9/4.6 = 1.98 Kg potatoes per Euro here.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Russet-Potat ... g/10447840
We don't have 20 KG bags here, at least not at most stores. Some carry 25 pounds.

Of course, most people don't know how easy it is to grow potatoes and how many kilograms of potatoes a little plot will yield.
Just cut out the eyes with little wedges of potato still attached and plant those.
Make sure you plant them about 7-8 inches deep. You don't want the tubers that grow exposed to the sun or they will be inedible.

Hm..., a bit off topic here.
towforce

Post by towforce »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:41 pm
Ozymandias wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:20 pm Where I live, they bring them to your home. I buy 20Kg bags for at most 20€, it's the flagship product around here (that and milk). So I have both expensive electricity and cheap potatoes. The power consumption of a single 3090 would probably be like one bag less a month.
$5.47 for a 20 pound bag, and they are not even on sale:
So, 5.47/1.19 = 4.6 Euro
20/2.2 = 9Kg
9/4.6 = 1.98 Kg potatoes per Euro here.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Russet-Potat ... g/10447840
We don't have 20 KG bags here, at least not at most stores. Some carry 25 pounds.

Of course, most people don't know how easy it is to grow potatoes and how many kilograms of potatoes a little plot will yield.
Just cut out the eyes with little wedges of potato still attached and plant those.
Make sure you plant them about 7-8 inches deep. You don't want the tubers that grow exposed to the sun or they will be inedible.

Hm..., a bit off topic here.

You can use these potatoes to generate electricity - link! :)

You won't get enough to run the latest GPUs - but you will be able to run a smart watch - whose SOC will have approximately the same computer power as the average mainframe computer of about 20-25 years ago! 8-)
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Dann Corbit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:41 pm9/4.6 = 1.98 Kg potatoes per Euro here.
Well, if you have a car and go to the Walmart equivalent, you can get them for about 0.50€ per Kg. You pay for the convenience of having them delivered, plus not everyone has the same price. The ones that bring them to you for that price aren't that good. And yeah, not very GPU or Lc0 related.