Page 1 of 7

I stumbled upon this article on the new Nvidia RTX GPUs

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:36 pm
by Laskos
https://www.engadget.com/nvidia-rtx-309 ... 59544.html

If I understood correctly, the improvement in our case compared to 2xxx generation will be great, right?
If yes, I am starting putting aside bit by bit, so that in November I will get a 3070.

Re: I stumbled upon this article on the new Nvidia RTX GPUs

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:09 pm
by Werewolf
A very long conversation on Lc0 discord yesterday suggested they wouldn't be that great

Re: I stumbled upon this article on the new Nvidia RTX GPUs

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:10 pm
by mmt
We should be on the lookout for FP16 benchmarks. The gains there don't seem quite as impressive. The 3080 should be a very good deal though.

Re: I stumbled upon this article on the new Nvidia RTX GPUs

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:40 pm
by mwyoung
Laskos wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:36 pm
https://www.engadget.com/nvidia-rtx-309 ... 59544.html

If I understood correctly, the improvement in our case compared to 2xxx generation will be great, right?
If yes, I am starting putting aside bit by bit, so that in November I will get a 3070.
We will have to see benchmarks. But if it is true that the entry level RTX 3070 is even better then a RTX 2080 ti. But at a cost of only $499. That will be awesome.

Do not be too upset like some. If you bought a high end RTX 2000 series. Tech always moves foreword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKneUFwVkXI

Re: I stumbled upon this article on the new Nvidia RTX GPUs

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:53 pm
by Laskos
mmt wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:10 pm
We should be on the lookout for FP16 benchmarks. The gains there don't seem quite as impressive. The 3080 should be a very good deal though.
Hmmm, interesting. I misunderstood something. I guess anything below 50% improvement 2070 --> 3070 is a no go for me.

Re: I stumbled upon this article on the new Nvidia RTX GPUs

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:55 pm
by Laskos
Werewolf wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:09 pm
A very long conversation on Lc0 discord yesterday suggested they wouldn't be that great
The reason? Not as great as possible 150% improvement or much much lower than that?

Re: I stumbled upon this article on the new Nvidia RTX GPUs

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:57 pm
by chrisw
Laskos wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:36 pm
https://www.engadget.com/nvidia-rtx-309 ... 59544.html

If I understood correctly, the improvement in our case compared to 2xxx generation will be great, right?
If yes, I am starting putting aside bit by bit, so that in November I will get a 3070.
The real deal will be when (if ever) GPU and CPU functionality are on one chip, able to seamlessly address the same memory and there are included asm instructions to perform matrix operations (plus C+++)

Re: I stumbled upon this article on the new Nvidia RTX GPUs

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:04 pm
by Laskos
chrisw wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:57 pm
Laskos wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:36 pm
https://www.engadget.com/nvidia-rtx-309 ... 59544.html

If I understood correctly, the improvement in our case compared to 2xxx generation will be great, right?
If yes, I am starting putting aside bit by bit, so that in November I will get a 3070.
The real deal will be when (if ever) GPU and CPU functionality are on one chip, able to seamlessly address the same memory and there are included asm instructions to perform matrix operations (plus C+++)
For now it's just a real dream. Maybe something on these lines in 20 years?

Re: I stumbled upon this article on the new Nvidia RTX GPUs

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:07 pm
by Werewolf
Laskos wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:55 pm
Werewolf wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:09 pm
A very long conversation on Lc0 discord yesterday suggested they wouldn't be that great
The reason? Not as great as possible 150% improvement or much much lower than that?
I didn’t stay for the whole thing but the gist of it was:

1) Lc0 uses tensor cores
2) new tensor performance has 2 values
3) Lc0 uses the lower one, which means the 3080 will be about the same as a 2080Ti.

We need clarity over premise 1 for starters.

Re: I stumbled upon this article on the new Nvidia RTX GPUs

Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:13 pm
by mwyoung
Laskos wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:55 pm
Werewolf wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:09 pm
A very long conversation on Lc0 discord yesterday suggested they wouldn't be that great
The reason? Not as great as possible 150% improvement or much much lower than that?
If you are able to run 2 cards in your system, and it is for running Lc0. Buying a RTX 3070 for $499 would be great. RTX 2070+RTX 3070, and this should give you some very nice gains when running Lc0.