Final Release of Ethereal, V12.75

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, bob, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
nabildanial
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:29 am
Location: Malaysia

Re: Final Release of Ethereal, V12.75

Post by nabildanial » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:32 am

nabildanial wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:18 pm
Here is a compile using the "make release" flag.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12nkrfR ... z0rrS/view
I've deleted my compile since Andrew has released the official(?) one.

AndrewGrant
Posts: 809
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:08 am
Location: U.S.A
Full name: Andrew Grant
Contact:

Re: Final Release of Ethereal, V12.75

Post by AndrewGrant » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:13 am

nabildanial wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:32 am
nabildanial wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:18 pm
Here is a compile using the "make release" flag.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12nkrfR ... z0rrS/view
I've deleted my compile since Andrew has released the official(?) one.
Sure. We can use the word official for the Ethereal 12.75 SF-NNUE.

So I took a trick that I learned from some forum, and then saw put into practice in Cfish. Which is to look at the things defined when march=native is used, and then set the flags for vector maths basedon those. Its a brilliant trick. However, it assumes march=native. When you built for release, march=native was not set, and those flags were not updated. So you were using the slowest possible Ethereal compile. I imagine it was 2x or even 4x as slow.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5686
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Final Release of Ethereal, V12.75

Post by Rebel » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:13 am

AndrewGrant wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:21 am
Rebel wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:31 pm
Ethereal 12.75 SF-NNUE +172

http://rebel13.nl/dump/mrl-lcx.html
Would you be interested in adding Stockfish 12 Classical to your list? I'm interested in that Ethereal without NNUE actually beats out Komodo and Houdini. Maybe an indicator that Ethereal's evaluation is very solid? I would not be surprised if it beats Komodo's. They've got more knowledge, but I'm confident mine is tuned better.
Compare with - http://rebel13.nl/download/srl-1000.html

Both 3171 -> draw :wink:
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Guenther
Posts: 3436
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Full name: Guenther Simon
Contact:

Re: Final Release of Ethereal, V12.75

Post by Guenther » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:03 am

nabildanial wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:32 am
nabildanial wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:18 pm
Here is a compile using the "make release" flag.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12nkrfR ... z0rrS/view
I've deleted my compile since Andrew has released the official(?) one.
I have compiled one yesterday for people w/o popcount (but still SSE 4.1), because there is no such
in the 'official' download at all. If someone is interested or needs it, just PM me.
https://rwbc-chess.de
Greg Strong@ovyron wrote: What I think is that you have a very, very, VERY strong desire to post, and very little self-control.
All the time. In every conversation. You must post. Something. It's like you just can't help yourself.

User avatar
Sylwy
Posts: 3454
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:19 pm
Location: IASI (Romania) - the historical capital of MOLDOVA

Re: Final Release of Ethereal, V12.75

Post by Sylwy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:16 am

Yeah, this is a fine compile. Thank you !
Image

The yesterday compile (nabildanial):
Image

I resumed my match at TC=4'+2"

nabildanial
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:29 am
Location: Malaysia

Re: Final Release of Ethereal, V12.75

Post by nabildanial » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:52 am

Sylwy wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:16 am
Yeah, this is a fine compile. Thank you !
Image

The yesterday compile (nabildanial):
Image

I resumed my match at TC=4'+2"
Welp, that was a huge slowdown! Sorry I didn't test the compile, I assumed the "make release" was the appropriate compile flag for it, because you know, it says release on it haha.

Frank Quisinsky
Posts: 5162
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: Trier, Germany
Contact:

Re: Final Release of Ethereal, V12.75

Post by Frank Quisinsky » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:16 am

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your Ethereal version.
Time for a new FCP Tourney, but the old tourney is not ready yet.

Later ...

Best
Frank
I like computer chess!

Post Reply