Fixing the LC0 imbalance defect

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Fixing the LC0 imbalance defect

Post by Dann Corbit »

Suppose that LC0 were trained not from self-play games but from data extracted from its games on TCEC, CCRL, and CEGT?
Since those contests include lots of arbitrary openings, many of which are imbalanced, I wonder if it would help the problem.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
frankp

Re: Fixing the LC0 imbalance defect

Post by frankp »

Superficially it seems that including the relevant opening positions (endpoints) in lc0 training should improve its performance in such positions, but then it would not be lc_zero.
The alphaGo match against lee sedol demonstrated the potential for holes ('delusions', I think the team called them) resulting from self-play training - when positions had not be explored sufficiently. I have in mind the game lee sedol won, when alphaGo was basically clueless.
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Re: Fixing the LC0 imbalance defect

Post by dkappe »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:24 pm Suppose that LC0 were trained not from self-play games but from data extracted from its games on TCEC, CCRL, and CEGT?
Since those contests include lots of arbitrary openings, many of which are imbalanced, I wonder if it would help the problem.
1. Too little data.
2. There have been a number of experiments using openings and start positions, most recently t72 and t60. The opening books didn’t seem to help. More info in the discord.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".