Seer

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

connor_mcmonigle
Full name: Connor McMonigle

Re: Seer

Post by connor_mcmonigle »

Guenther wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:19 pm Thanks for the quick fix - I also thought it might be some thread polling issue - compiled the current repo again and all is ok now.
Great. My intention was for that fix to be included in the initial release. I'm not exactly sure as to what happened to it, but rather than update the existing 1.0 release with the fix, my current plan is just to make a 1.1 release incorporating the fix and the new "phased" networks I've been working on. Hopefully 1.1 will be ready by the end of the week. The master branch you compiled should already be +10 elo to Seer 1.0, though the new phased networks are looking to be +100 elo with any luck.

As it stands for 1.0, the extra CLI thread, in my testing, is very light and shouldn't influence the performance of other engines.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

carldaman wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:46 pm
Gerd Isenberg wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:51 am May be I will revive the CPW engine releases page.
Thanks for thinking of reviving the engines list page, if you can do it. If there were several capable and responsible volunteers allowed to update it, then it would be unlikely that it would be abandoned, as is the case if just one person can make updates. A single individual can suddenly be overwhelmed by outside factors and leave everything nonessential aside.
Engine Releases to be continued. If several capable and responsible volunteers like to contribute, send me a pm with username/e-mail address.

Thanks,
Gerd
Terje
Full name: Terje Kirstihagen

Post by Terje »

Gerd Isenberg wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 pm
Gerd Isenberg wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:51 am May be I will revive the CPW engine releases page.
Thanks for thinking of reviving the engines list page, if you can do it. If there were several capable and responsible volunteers allowed to update it, then it would be unlikely that it would be abandoned, as is the case if just one person can make updates. A single individual can suddenly be overwhelmed by outside factors and leave everything nonessential aside.
Engine Releases to be continued. If several capable and responsible volunteers like to contribute, send me a pm with username/e-mail address.

Thanks,
Gerd
Maybe make a separate thread for this topic, both to keep Seer thread about Seer, and maybe easier to get volunteers and collect dates/links :)

Weiss releases can all be found at https://github.com/TerjeKir/weiss/releases . Versions before 0.6 were never released and are uninteresting for the wiki I think.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Terje wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:11 am
Gerd Isenberg wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 pm

Thanks,
Gerd
Maybe make a separate thread for this topic, both to keep Seer thread about Seer, and maybe easier to get volunteers and collect dates/links :)

Weiss releases can all be found at https://github.com/TerjeKir/weiss/releases . Versions before 0.6 were never released and are uninteresting for the wiki I think.
Yep, thanks.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Does Seer do the int8 and int16 qunatization done in NNUE ?
If so is it done post-training or during training ? From a quick glance at the code, it doesn't look like the model
contains quantized layers.
connor_mcmonigle

Daniel Shawul wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:47 pm Does Seer do the int8 and int16 qunatization done in NNUE ?
If so is it done post-training or during training ? From a quick glance at the code, it doesn't look like the model
contains quantized layers.
Seer uses all floating point weights and does no weight quantization. On modern processors, single precision floating point performance is pretty similar to 32 bit integer performance. One advantage of using floating point weights is that it's much easier to experiment with different architectures (skip connections and mixing layer types complicates quantization schemes). The biggest downside is that incremental updates can't easily be undone as the floating point error would grow (to resolve this, I plan to explore quantizing just the feature transformer layer sometime in the future). The solution, at least for now, is just to copy the vectors on the stack for every ply.
xr_a_y

Post by xr_a_y »

Just want to point out that this engine is so well written. I am amazed !
connor_mcmonigle

Thanks for the kind words Vivien!
connor_mcmonigle

I've released Seer 1.1 here: https://github.com/connormcmonigle/seer ... s/tag/v1.1 (this time with binaries!). It should prove substantially stronger than Seer 1.0 and also corrects an issue where an extra thread would be used. Estimated strength is around 3000 elo, though this a quite poor estimate due to limited testing. In any case, I'd greatly appreciate if it could be tested. More info can be found by following the link. Let me know if you have difficulty running it.
Gabor Szots
Full name: Gabor Szots

Post by Gabor Szots »

connor_mcmonigle wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:03 am I've released Seer 1.1 here: https://github.com/connormcmonigle/seer ... s/tag/v1.1 (this time with binaries!). It should prove substantially stronger than Seer 1.0 and also corrects an issue where an extra thread would be used. Estimated strength is around 3000 elo, though this a quite poor estimate due to limited testing. In any case, I'd greatly appreciate if it could be tested. More info can be found by following the link. Let me know if you have difficulty running it.
Thanks, that's what I've been waiting for.
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group