Benjamin 2.0 - Tactical Analysis Engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5810
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Benjamin 2.0 - Tactical Analysis Engine

Post by Rebel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:24 pm

Benjamin 2.0 - Tactical Analysis Engine.

Benjamain 2.0 goes one step further than the first version, the focus of version 1.0 was on playing style, version 2.0 is meant as an analysis tool to quickly find tactical shots. We ran a tactical suite of 100 positions (mainly positions from the excellent CSS-WM test) in the style of the Speedy Rating List and the results are stunning.

....

http://rebel13.nl/home/benjamin.html
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Jouni
Posts: 2388
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Re: Benjamin 2.0 - Tactical Analysis Engine

Post by Jouni » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:06 am

Tactics - interesting always! But I have looked short time ago for CSS-WM test with current engines = SF. I think 10-20 of positions are buggy. Rest are solved instantly in most cases. From your 100 positions I found already 12,21,23,35,46 dubious.
Jouni

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5810
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Benjamin 2.0 - Tactical Analysis Engine

Post by Rebel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:31 am

Jouni wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:06 am
Tactics - interesting always! But I have looked short time ago for CSS-WM test with current engines = SF. I think 10-20 of positions are buggy. Rest are solved instantly in most cases. From your 100 positions I found already 12,21,23,35,46 dubious.
Yes, the CSS-WM contains dubious positions, with my limited elo I have weed them out :wink: But....

Position 12 - r1b2rk1/p2nbqpp/p3p3/2ppPpB1/N2P1N1P/8/PPP2PP1/R2Q1RK1 w - - bm c4; "c1 Khalifman - Ulibin";

SF12 says 1.c4 constant for 10 minutes, why is it dubious?
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
mclane
Posts: 18388
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: US of Europe, germany
Full name: Thorsten Czub
Contact:

Re: Benjamin 2.0 - Tactical Analysis Engine

Post by mclane » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:34 am

Rebel wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:24 pm
Benjamin 2.0 - Tactical Analysis Engine.

Benjamain 2.0 goes one step further than the first version, the focus of version 1.0 was on playing style, version 2.0 is meant as an analysis tool to quickly find tactical shots. We ran a tactical suite of 100 positions (mainly positions from the excellent CSS-WM test) in the style of the Speedy Rating List and the results are stunning.

....

http://rebel13.nl/home/benjamin.html
I tried to unpack it but it gives an arena directory with Benjamin 2 in the engines Directory.

When I try to unpack the whole archive, I get several errors and as a result Benjamin 2 in the engines directory has only a few files.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....

Jouni
Posts: 2388
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Re: Benjamin 2.0 - Tactical Analysis Engine

Post by Jouni » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:08 pm

SF 3 best moves reveals fast the most obvious errors. Your example:

Analysis by Stockfish 051020:

1. +- (1.95): 1.c3 Re8 2.Bxe7 Qxe7 3.h5 a5 4.Nxc5 Nxc5 5.dxc5 Qxc5 6.h6 Ba6 7.Re1 g6 8.Qa4 Rab8 9.b3 Rbc8 10.Re3 Qb5 11.Qd4 Qc5 12.Qd2 Qf8 13.Rh3 Kf7 14.Re1 Re7 15.Rd1 a4 16.Rh1 Qe8 17.Nh3 Rec7 18.Ng5+ Kg8 19.Rh3 Qe7 20.Re1 Bb5 21.f4 Be8 22.Rd3 Bb5 23.Rg3 a6 24.Rge3 Be8 25.b4
2. +- (1.92): 1.c4 dxc4 2.Nxe6 Qxe6 3.d5 Qxe5 4.Re1 Qd4 5.Bxe7 Qxd1 6.Raxd1 Re8 7.Nxc5 Nxc5 8.Bxc5 Bd7 9.Kh2 Ba4 10.Rc1 Kf7 11.Kg3 Rxe1 12.Rxe1 Re8 13.Rxe8 Kxe8 14.Kf4 Bc2 15.Ke5 Be4 16.g3 a5 17.Bxa7 a4 18.Kd6 Kf7 19.Bb6 Bb1 20.a3 f4 21.gxf4 g6 22.Bc7 Ke8 23.Bb8 Kf7
3. +- (1.85): 1.Bxe7 Qxe7 2.c3 a5 3.h5 c4 4.Qf3 Bb7 5.b3 Rfc8 6.Rfb1 Bc6 7.Nb2 h6 8.Nd1 Nb6 9.Ne3 Rc7 10.g4 fxg4 11.Qxg4 Bd7 12.Rc1 Qg5 13.Qxg5 hxg5 14.Nh3 g4 15.Nf4 cxb3 16.axb3 a4

Position 77 has totally wrong move Nh7??
Jouni

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5810
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Benjamin 2.0 - Tactical Analysis Engine

Post by Rebel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:00 pm

Jouni wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:08 pm
SF 3 best moves reveals fast the most obvious errors. Your example:

Analysis by Stockfish 051020:

1. +- (1.95): 1.c3 Re8 2.Bxe7 Qxe7 3.h5 a5 4.Nxc5 Nxc5 5.dxc5 Qxc5 6.h6 Ba6 7.Re1 g6 8.Qa4 Rab8 9.b3 Rbc8 10.Re3 Qb5 11.Qd4 Qc5 12.Qd2 Qf8 13.Rh3 Kf7 14.Re1 Re7 15.Rd1 a4 16.Rh1 Qe8 17.Nh3 Rec7 18.Ng5+ Kg8 19.Rh3 Qe7 20.Re1 Bb5 21.f4 Be8 22.Rd3 Bb5 23.Rg3 a6 24.Rge3 Be8 25.b4
2. +- (1.92): 1.c4 dxc4 2.Nxe6 Qxe6 3.d5 Qxe5 4.Re1 Qd4 5.Bxe7 Qxd1 6.Raxd1 Re8 7.Nxc5 Nxc5 8.Bxc5 Bd7 9.Kh2 Ba4 10.Rc1 Kf7 11.Kg3 Rxe1 12.Rxe1 Re8 13.Rxe8 Kxe8 14.Kf4 Bc2 15.Ke5 Be4 16.g3 a5 17.Bxa7 a4 18.Kd6 Kf7 19.Bb6 Bb1 20.a3 f4 21.gxf4 g6 22.Bc7 Ke8 23.Bb8 Kf7
3. +- (1.85): 1.Bxe7 Qxe7 2.c3 a5 3.h5 c4 4.Qf3 Bb7 5.b3 Rfc8 6.Rfb1 Bc6 7.Nb2 h6 8.Nd1 Nb6 9.Ne3 Rc7 10.g4 fxg4 11.Qxg4 Bd7 12.Rc1 Qg5 13.Qxg5 hxg5 14.Nh3 g4 15.Nf4 cxb3 16.axb3 a4

Code: Select all

SF12: NNUE evaluation using nn-82215d0fd0df.nnue enabled 
34/44-	00:35	 466.844.793	13.202.250	+2,43	c2-c3 c5-c4
34/44+	00:36	 479.867.536	13.211.848	+2,51	c2-c3
34/47	00:38	 503.666.252	13.219.239	+2,59	c2-c4 d5xc4 Nf4xe6 Qf7xe6 d4-d5 Qe6xe5 Rf1-e1 Qe5-d4 Bg5xe7
...
51/74	08:58	7.345.670.794	13.639.339	+2,87	c2-c4 d5xc4 Nf4xe6 Qf7xe6 d4-d5 Qe6xe5 Rf1-e1 Qe5-d4 Bg5xe7
Komodo 14 plays 1.c4 as well.
Position 77 has totally wrong move Nh7??
Yep, should be Nxf7. Will fix that.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5810
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Benjamin 2.0 - Tactical Analysis Engine

Post by Rebel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:02 pm

mclane wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:34 am
Rebel wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:24 pm
Benjamin 2.0 - Tactical Analysis Engine.

Benjamain 2.0 goes one step further than the first version, the focus of version 1.0 was on playing style, version 2.0 is meant as an analysis tool to quickly find tactical shots. We ran a tactical suite of 100 positions (mainly positions from the excellent CSS-WM test) in the style of the Speedy Rating List and the results are stunning.

....

http://rebel13.nl/home/benjamin.html
I tried to unpack it but it gives an arena directory with Benjamin 2 in the engines Directory.

When I try to unpack the whole archive, I get several errors and as a result Benjamin 2 in the engines directory has only a few files.
That is probably correct, I did a major code clean up.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Terje
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:34 am
Location: https://github.com/TerjeKir/weiss
Full name: Terje Kirstihagen

Re: Benjamin 2.0 - Tactical Analysis Engine

Post by Terje » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:04 pm

Did this improvement for analysis cost playing strength?

User avatar
mclane
Posts: 18388
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: US of Europe, germany
Full name: Thorsten Czub
Contact:

Re: Benjamin 2.0 - Tactical Analysis Engine

Post by mclane » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:13 pm

I would guess Benjamin and Benjamin 2.0 as 2 very contrary concept engines are both weaker overall then the strongest pro deo engine.

On my machine this is still prodeo 2.1 YAT. But maybe I am wrong.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5810
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: Benjamin 2.0 - Tactical Analysis Engine

Post by Rebel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:31 pm

Terje wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:04 pm
Did this improvement for analysis cost playing strength?
About 150-200 elo lower :lol:
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Post Reply