Graphics Card

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Krzysztof Grzelak

Graphics Card

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

What is the best graphics card to buy, of course, at a reasonable price for the engine LCZero. Thank you in advance for any advice and advice.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Re: Graphics Card

Post by smatovic »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:35 pm What is the best graphics card to buy, of course, at a reasonable price for the engine LCZero. Thank you in advance for any advice and advice.
IIRC Laskos wrote last year that Nvidia RTX 2070 offers the best price/performance sweet spot, then the RTX 20xx Super series were released, not sure about the new RTX 30xx series. I guess it pays off to wait until AMD releases its RX 6000 series in November, so maybe prices will drop, maybe not.

--
Srdja
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

smatovic wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:39 pm
Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:35 pm What is the best graphics card to buy, of course, at a reasonable price for the engine LCZero. Thank you in advance for any advice and advice.
IIRC Laskos wrote last year that Nvidia RTX 2070 offers the best price/performance sweet spot, then the RTX 20xx Super series were released, not sure about the new RTX 30xx series. I guess it pays off to wait until AMD releases its RX 6000 series in November, so maybe prices will drop, maybe not.

--
Srdja
RTX 2060 Super and 2070 Super were the best deals, and if second hand, probably still the best deals for Lc0. I decided to wait until the beginning of 2021 for my upgrade from 2070. 30xx are not really out in numbers and the demand is much higher than the supply, resulting in heavy overpricing, at least across Europe. NVIDIA declared that 3080 will be out in sufficient numbers starting only in early 2021. AMD 6xxx are not at all yet out. For now the prices for 20xx series are still high. Even second hand solutions are a bit overpriced. In 2-3 months the things settle to lower prices.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Thank you very much for your smatovic and Laskos. For now, it will not buy the card. I have a different graphics card, but not an older one.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Laskos and what do you think about this card Tesla K80 Kepler 24 GB GDDR5
Krzysztof Grzelak

I still have a question (because I do not know so well) what are the most important things (what you need to pay attention to) when buying a graphics card for the engine LcZero.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:37 am I still have a question (because I do not know so well) what are the most important things (what you need to pay attention to) when buying a graphics card for the engine LcZero.
...here a little guide what to consider with GPUs and Lc0:

"Using LC0 with one or two GPUs - a guide"

http://www.talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?t=70362

--
Srdja
yurikvelo

Post by yurikvelo »

Please point topic where Lc0 scalability (diminishing returns of speed vs ELO) were discussed.
How many ELO one would expect from 2x speed
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

yurikvelo wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:44 pm Please point topic where Lc0 scalability (diminishing returns of speed vs ELO) were discussed.
How many ELO one would expect from 2x speed
I am not aware of such experiments. I myself haven't checked in detail because there are differences in scalability between 2x time and 2x nodes. The speed of Lc0 is not the same at say 0.5 s/move and 20 s/move. In broad lines, the scaling of Lc0 is better at short TC compared to regular engines and might get worse than regular engines at very long TC/hardware. So, the diminishing returns are pronounced. But I have no hard study on that. Maybe I have missed some posts/threads here on that.
yurikvelo

Post by yurikvelo »

Laskos wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:41 pm The speed of Lc0 is not the same at say 0.5 s/move and 20 s/move.
I mean 2x faster hardware at any position or time control.
E.g. GPU #1 is 5 knps after 1 min at some position and GPU #2 is 10 knps after 1/2 min on the same position.
What will be ELO difference if run machine with GPU #1 vs machine with GPU #2

is traditional 40...60 ELO per doubling apply here?

When asking about networks (bigger vs smaller) for non-RTX GPU someone said bigger network is stronger and slow speed matters only if you are going to donate GPU for network learning, but do not matter for play. In other words - slow speed doesn't affect ELO much.