Komodo 14.1 Release and Dragon Announcement

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

Re: Komodo 14.1 Release and Dragon Announcement

Post by lkaufman »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:58 pm Hi Larry,

thanks for Komodo 14.1.

Note:
Dragon by Bruno LUCAS (France) was in the past a partner program from Arena Chess GUI.
At this time I had many contacts to french programmers and Bruno is really a very nice guy.
Dragon by Bruno is a very positional program with around 2350 Elo.

Last available UCi Dragon is v4.6.
After I remember I wrote the readme file.
Program are a long time available on my Arena site as partner program with SOS for Arena, the French program's AnMon, Nejmet and others.

To have now a second program with the name "Dragon" isn't a good idea.

Such a situation we have with Nightmare in the past.
The German Nightmare and the Dutch Nightmare.

The Dutch Nightmare programmer selling his program to an other programmer. This programmer made around the year 2000 first experience with ideas around self "learning" and used the sources from Nighmare for his experiments. This programmer wrote a chess book about it and gave it programmers played the Dutch-open for free. Don Daily played this year the Dutch-ch in Leiden and got the book too (after all I know). I gave my book Dr. Ulrich Türke (Comet). Years later many of that ideas are available in Leela and so one.

Not the topic!
But 2 times the same name isn't a good idea!

In my opinion better to give your "Dragon" an other name!

Best
Frank
Regarding the name, the formal name would be "Dragon by Komodo". Obviously we picked the name Dragon because the Komodo giant lizard is called the "Komodo Dragon". You are welcome to refer to it as Dragon by Komodo, or Komodo Dragon; I expect that most people will simply call it Dragon since the other dragon engines are no longer under development I believe. I guess it's like my name being Larry Kaufman; there are plenty of other Larrys, some better known than I am, but if someone mentions "Larry" on talkchess they are probably referring to me.
Komodo rules!
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

lkaufman wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:44 pm

thanks for Komodo 14.1.

Note:
Dragon by Bruno LUCAS (France) was in the past a partner program from Arena Chess GUI.
At this time I had many contacts to french programmers and Bruno is really a very nice guy.

Program are a long time available on my Arena site as partner program with SOS for Arena, the French program's AnMon, Nejmet and others.

The Dutch Nightmare programmer selling his program to an other programmer. This programmer made around the year 2000 first experience with ideas around self "learning" and used the sources from Nighmare for his experiments. This programmer wrote a chess book about it and gave it programmers played the Dutch-open for free. Don Daily played this year the Dutch-ch in Leiden and got the book too (after all I know). I gave my book Dr. Ulrich Türke (Comet). Years later many of that ideas are available in Leela and so one.

Not the topic!

Best
Frank
Regarding the name, the formal name would be "Dragon by Komodo". Obviously we picked the name Dragon because the Komodo giant lizard is called the "Komodo Dragon". You are welcome to refer to it as Dragon by Komodo, or Komodo Dragon; I expect that most people will simply call it Dragon since the other dragon engines are no longer under development I believe. I guess it's like my name being Larry Kaufman; there are plenty of other Larrys, some better known than I am, but if someone mentions "Larry" on talkchess they are probably referring to me.
I like Komodo Dragon. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

lkaufman wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:44 pm

thanks for Komodo 14.1.

Note:

Not the topic!

Best
Frank
I am including a section in the readme file describing all the chess dragon related programs I can, to clarify. I have run into some dead ends with links from web references and testing sites no longer working, so if you know more, send me a private message and I can follow up. For now I link
to the chessprogramming wiki pages that still exist.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Larry,

Komodo-Dragon is a great name!

:-)

Best name for a chess program ever read is ...

AnMon

Sure, that not all know what's meaning!

An for ANgel
Mon for deMON

Half angel and half demon.
And exactly this is the playing style of the engine!

Komodo-Dragon is also a very nice name.
Dragon alone is not a good idea, but Komodo-Dragon is great!

Best and good luck for you and your team!
Frank

Now you need such a nice girl we can see in Games of Thrones.
Comes from the fire with three Dragons ... Junge, Junge, Junge!
Frank Quisinsky

KO-Dragon
or ...
Komgon
or
Kogon
or
DragKodo
or
DraKo
or
OdoGon
or
Dragodo ... my personal favorite ... if so ... 3 years for free please!

Or simple ... Komodo-Dragon
cucumber
Full name: JSmith

Post by cucumber »

Since NNUE learns win probabilities, would it be feasible for KMCTS to be Nibbler compatible?
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Cucumber,

do you know the exactly name / Country from the programmer of Nibbler.
I found nothing about it in www.

The once program (in my link selection) where the information are unknown for me.

Best
Frank
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

cucumber wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:18 am Since NNUE learns win probabilities, would it be feasible for KMCTS to be Nibbler compatible?
Komodo MCTS keeps track of win probabilities, regardless of whether it uses NNUE or normal Komodo eval. It doesn't display them, but they can be computed from the displayed score. I don't know if this tells you enough to answer your question, I'm not familiar with Nibbler.
Komodo rules!
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

jmartus wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:55 pm How is the playing style of your nnue implementation?
Well, it's hard to make general statements about playing style. I would say it is more human-like, even though it was trained on engine games, because it is less reliant on arbitrary rules that might not be appropriate for a given position. With very short searches the difference is obvious, but as searches become deeper the differences become smaller.
Komodo rules!
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

lkaufman wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:44 pm Regarding the name, the formal name would be "Dragon by Komodo". Obviously we picked the name Dragon because the Komodo giant lizard is called the "Komodo Dragon". You are welcome to refer to it as Dragon by Komodo, or Komodo Dragon; I expect that most people will simply call it Dragon since the other dragon engines are no longer under development I believe. I guess it's like my name being Larry Kaufman; there are plenty of other Larrys, some better known than I am, but if someone mentions "Larry" on talkchess they are probably referring to me.
.... Larry who?

:wink:

just saw Dragon will be playing Stockfish in 15 minutes on chess.com https://www.chess.com/computer-chess-championship