Computer Chess Jobs at Chess.com

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mjlef

Computer Chess Jobs at Chess.com

Post by mjlef »

As you know, Komodo joined Chess.com a few years back and we have really enjoyed being a part of the team there. They have been helpful with resources, support, and in developing the new Dragon! Anyway, they are currently hiring for some positions that might interest those of you here on talkchess. Namely:

- Chess Engine Developer (to work on a new educational Explanation engine)
- CCC (Computer Chess Championship) Admin (control server, run events)
- Cloud Engineer (work on Google Cloud infrastructure for main Chess.com, and in training Komodo Dragon NNUE)

If you are interested, check out www.chess.com/jobs and you can apply from there!

Mark
maksimKorzh
Full name: Maksim Korzh

Re: Computer Chess Jobs at Chess.com

Post by maksimKorzh »

mjlef wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:41 pm As you know, Komodo joined Chess.com a few years back and we have really enjoyed being a part of the team there. They have been helpful with resources, support, and in developing the new Dragon! Anyway, they are currently hiring for some positions that might interest those of you here on talkchess. Namely:

- Chess Engine Developer (to work on a new educational Explanation engine)
- CCC (Computer Chess Championship) Admin (control server, run events)
- Cloud Engineer (work on Google Cloud infrastructure for main Chess.com, and in training Komodo Dragon NNUE)

If you are interested, check out www.chess.com/jobs and you can apply from there!

Mark
After reading some info from the link above I had mixed feelings)))
Say a year ago I would probably be happy enough to try this like opportunity but today with tons of exciting ideas
I have in mind and want to make youtube video tutorials on this is not so anymore.

Quite a fun thing regarding "we're hiring" stuff that I can describe from freelancer's experience perspective is that
most of projects are incredibly exciting when they are at startup phase but later they turn into corporations
like Google (or smaller, but it doesn't matter) which always leads to "corporate hell". This is what happens on upwork - it
shouldn't be considered as a freelance platform anymore, but a remote job hiring platform instead and btw that's the exact
reason why I've dropped it and switched to youtube as a source of getting new freelance clients which works surprisingly
well. Now the reason why I'm telling this is that the format of private contracts, e.g. chess.com manager has a particular task to do,
would be much more appropriate and in spirit of true freelancing, also I can hardly imagine how chess programmers can work in a team -
that forces people to drop their own unique development concepts and coding style and switch to corporate appropriate style...
Obviously it gives an opportunity to make money on chess programming which is really cool, but it takes all the fun way just
because of the "we're hiring" corporate format.

I would be incredibly happy to be wrong about above) So if chess.com works with developers personally - that's really beneficial.
Is anyone aware of how it goes internally on talk chess on the real deal? (just curious)