Chessbase patent

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Re: Chessbase patent

Post by Alayan »

If you tried to patent a move, you deserved every criticism you got. The issue isn't the move's quality but the move patenting attempt itself.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Andrew wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:17 am
daniel71 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:22 am Maybe this is a patent troll just waiting to make money because they applied for the patent. Should not be allowed because this has been in the open domain for a very long time.
THey were also the same inventors for the
https://patents.google.com/patent/US567 ... c678%2c001
patent i.e. the Chess Mentor program

So I don't think a patent troll.(They have products)
That one is quite old and expired, it looks like the new one was meant to replace the old in some respects with some enhancements. Software patents are very tricky, and quite often litigious.

In 2014, the United States Supreme Court opined on the patent eligibility of computer-implemented inventions. In the landmark case, Alice Corp. v. CLS Bank International, the Court held that all claims of a patent owned by Alice Corp., including method, system, and computer-readable medium claims, are drawn to an abstract idea and, therefore, are not patent-eligible. The Court stated that the claims of an abstract idea of intermediated settlement and that implementing the abstract idea on a generic computer failed to transform the abstract idea into patent-eligible subject matter. Anybody can submit a patent and perhaps obtain a patent — but whether that patent will hold in court is an entirely different matter. This ruling certainly boded well for many of the Apple software patents as they will never have the "generic computer" patent defect in those software patents designed and deployed on Apple built computers and iPhones.
jefk
Full name: Jef Kaan

Post by jefk »

Alayan,
i didn't patent a move, a registered an opening
system with 1.e3 (and opening book) as intellectual
property, but it's decades ago, and i wasn't into this
chess world as i'm now...
For the rest my message was in ironic style,
and i'm ofcourse not going to claim 'ownership'
of such an idea to the writer of this 1.e3 poison book !
(in which he anyway doesn't use 1.e3 as first move).
NB 1.e3 is known as the Van 't Kruis opening, and
often is transposing to 1.d4 systems. But we know
nowadays it's not as strong as 1.e4 !
best regards

Nowadays