M1 Apple Silicon for Chess?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jshriver

Re: M1 Apple Silicon for Chess?

Post by jshriver »

Ckappe wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:33 pm
Probably becuase most people who actually care about "using" a computer don't buy overpriced mid-to-low-end hw simply because of their shiny logotype on the back, in the first place.
Been following this thread and it's kinda hard. Good grief, let people buy what they want to buy and makes them happy. I'm looking forward to the m1, OS X is a solid OS, and I can use all my *nix goodies from it. It's just another machine in the lab and another option to explore and enjoy for what it is. Dont understand all thie anger.

Mods, is there anyway we could split this thread into an actual M1 for Chess and another for Apple vs The World for the flame threads, so we can have a clean post for just chess ports and info?

On a side note I do have enough for one now, though I'm torn because I've been getting into AI and NN a lot lately, and debating getting the m1 or a 3060 for my linux box. Torn because I could realy use the GPU, but looking forward to toying with OS X/iOS dev and porting engines over and testing.
Will give it another month, 3060's have been sold out for a long time now.

If I get the stimulus check then I can get both :) and still save the rest. Crossing fingers
acepoint_de

Post by acepoint_de »

jshriver wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:28 am
Probably becuase most people who actually care about "using" a computer don't buy overpriced mid-to-low-end hw simply because of their shiny logotype on the back, in the first place.
Been following this thread and it's kinda hard. Good grief, let people buy what they want to buy and makes them happy. I'm looking forward to the m1, OS X is a solid OS, and I can use all my *nix goodies from it. It's just another machine in the lab and another option to explore and enjoy for what it is. Dont understand all thie anger.

Mods, is there anyway we could split this thread into an actual M1 for Chess and another for Apple vs The World for the flame threads, so we can have a clean post for just chess ports and info?
I''ll second that.

Ciao

acepoint
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

Just compiled Fat Fritz 2.0 on Silicon M1 from the open source GPL 3.0 repository. It is strong, but not like the true Stockfish dev!

Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum: https://shorturl.at/bpvI1
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

Found how to test new engines with BanksiaGui on Mac mini M1 without restarting all the games: Gauntlet tournaments.

(But if someone has a workaround to insert them without loosing all previous results, I would prefer Round Robin Carousel like I do with Arena)

Regards,
AlexChess
Last edited by AlexChess on Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

Three 3 min + 3 seconds Gauntlet with new and updated M1 engines:

jshriver

Post by jshriver »

By chance do you know where to find the Harmon v13 engine source? My google-fu must be weak, also checked github and here as well. Keep coming up with mention of the Android GUI App.

Enjoy seeing your test results. Apple is working with the torch team and there are versions out now for the M1. So that will help a good bit on training.
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

New compilation:

Stockfish-dev 20210404 for Silicon M1
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkW3Hj0Gl_ewzzxUp6m ... E?e=IWHyjB
Source: https://github.com/official-stockfish/Stockfish

It's also available Igel 3.0.0 NNUE, but I have issues in compiling it
Source: https://github.com/vshcherbyna/igel
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

jshriver wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:03 pm By chance do you know where to find the Harmon v13 engine source? My google-fu must be weak, also checked github and here as well. Keep coming up with mention of the Android GUI App.

Enjoy seeing your test results. Apple is working with the torch team and there are versions out now for the M1. So that will help a good bit on training.
https://github.com/MichaelB7/Stockfish/releases

Regards, Alex
Milos

Post by Milos »

jshriver wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:28 am

On a side note I do have enough for one now, though I'm torn because I've been getting into AI and NN a lot lately, and debating getting the m1 or a 3060 for my linux box. Torn because I could realy use the GPU, but looking forward to toying with OS X/iOS dev and porting engines over and testing.
Will give it another month, 3060's have been sold out for a long time now.

If I get the stimulus check then I can get both :) and still save the rest. Crossing fingers
You are already deeply converted to iSheep, so you are not a target audience of ppl that write realistic (well bad in a view point of a rotten apple fan) posts about Mac hardware. Ppl write here as warning for others that didn't yet cross to the dark side ;).
Apple is an (evil) multi-billion dollar company, not a forum member. Asking moderation to protect it from bad comments is kind of ridiculous.
Alayan
Full name: Alayan Feh

Post by Alayan »

Milos wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:15 pm You are already deeply converted to iSheep, so you are not a target audience of ppl that write realistic (well bad in a view point of a rotten apple fan) posts about Mac hardware. Ppl write here as warning for others that didn't yet cross to the dark side ;).
Apple is an (evil) multi-billion dollar company, not a forum member. Asking moderation to protect it from bad comments is kind of ridiculous.
I don't like Apple. I find their control-freak attitude regarding the software ecosystem and hardware maintenance on their machine repelling; and so do I find the "brand cult" they have. I wouldn't buy a Mac even if it had awesome performance/price (which it doesn't have).

Many claims about the superiority of the M1's as a CPU are exaggerated. I argued earlier how the power efficiency comparisons with desktop x86 CPUs are highly misleading.

But it's not productive to be aggressive towards people who bought a Mac, or to claim the M1 is trash (it's not, as a CPU, though tied to a software stack I don't want to touch). This disrupts civil discourse, and makes the forum a less pleasant place. People who already agree with you will consider your points, but others will ignore them because your tone put them on the defensive (others have done it too, my point apply to them too).