Four (1,2,3,4) fixed ply games against SF12

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Mike Sherwin
Full name: Michael J Sherwin

Re: Four (1,2,3,4) fixed ply games against SF12

Post by Mike Sherwin »

RubiChess wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:54 am
Guenther wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:23 am
Mike Sherwin wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:24 pm Every once in a while I play SF a serious game to see if I can still play chess. My record over the years is 4 losses and 4 draws. And in queen knight odds playing black my record is 1 win and 2 draws. I gave up after SF10 came out because it just seemed to be a losing battle. Today I wanted to see how SF12 NNUE played if given limited depth. I played 4 games starting at a fixed depth of 1 ply to 4 ply. I managed to win all 4 games. That does not say much but it was fun. Tomorrow I'll try 5, 6, 7 ... ply. Here are the games.
Sorry, that's all useless with all programs which do early pruning.
You need to go up at least to depth 6 or 7 to get sensible moves with SF most of times, which still is below 1ms for it.
Why should it be useless? Mike doesn't play SF to test the engine but to play chess for fun and with an opponent he has a chance to beat.
Yes, it was for fun! And to test myself, not SF. Thank you :!:
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

RubiChess wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:54 am
Mike Sherwin wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:24 pm Every once in a while I play SF a serious game to see if I can still play chess. My record over the years is 4 losses and 4 draws. And in queen knight odds playing black my record is 1 win and 2 draws. I gave up after SF10 came out because it just seemed to be a losing battle. Today I wanted to see how SF12 NNUE played if given limited depth. I played 4 games starting at a fixed depth of 1 ply to 4 ply. I managed to win all 4 games. That does not say much but it was fun. Tomorrow I'll try 5, 6, 7 ... ply. Here are the games.
You need to go up at least to depth 6 or 7 to get sensible moves with SF most of times, which still is below 1ms for it.
Why should it be useless? Mike doesn't play SF to test the engine but to play chess for fun and with an opponent he has a chance to beat.
Well it's useless in the way for measuring some improvement and I thought this was played vs. Romichess.

Probably depends on the definition of fun.
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

You get sensible moves with SF most of times even at depth 1.
The problem is that one mistake is enough to lose so playing sensible moves most of the time is not enough.

I do not think that playing stockfish at depths 1-4 is useless and not everybody can beat it at depths 1-4 inspite of all the stupid pruning of stockfish.