Maia chess - the holy grail for computer chess?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:35 pm

Maia chess - the holy grail for computer chess?

Post by PeterO » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:16 pm

Is this the holy grail of computer chess?

https://maiachess.com

„A neural net chess engine that’s been specifically trained to play like a human of a given level would, by using online games of that level as the corpus“

In the past a „normal engine“ was either unbeatable or played somehow unnatural. This engine could be a gamechanger. What do you think?

Peter

dkappe
Posts: 817
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:52 pm
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Re: Maia chess - the holy grail for computer chess?

Post by dkappe » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:41 pm

PeterO wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:16 pm
Is this the holy grail of computer chess?

https://maiachess.com

„A neural net chess engine that’s been specifically trained to play like a human of a given level would, by using online games of that level as the corpus“

In the past a „normal engine“ was either unbeatable or played somehow unnatural. This engine could be a gamechanger. What do you think?

Peter
I would have appreciated a citation in their paper. Apparently they were inspired by my work. https://github.com/dkappe/leela-chess-w ... i/Bad-Gyal

Pi4Chess
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:13 am
Full name: Manuel Rivera

Re: Maia chess - the holy grail for computer chess?

Post by Pi4Chess » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:20 pm

dkappe wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:41 pm

I would have appreciated a citation in their paper. Apparently they were inspired by my work. https://github.com/dkappe/leela-chess-w ... i/Bad-Gyal
I don't see any type of inspiration citation within the chess engine "makers". The only thanks i saw are for Lichess.

By the way @dkappe, i was wondering if there was a minimum hardware config for these elo-human-nets trained by maia projet to be reliable ? They don't seem to care about that in their paper (or May be I did not find that) .may be because the max elo is 1900 and that can easily achieved by Leela even on a pi 3 cpu ?

Madeleine Birchfield
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:29 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Re: Maia chess - the holy grail for computer chess?

Post by Madeleine Birchfield » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:50 pm

dkappe wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:41 pm
I would have appreciated a citation in their paper. Apparently they were inspired by my work. https://github.com/dkappe/leela-chess-w ... i/Bad-Gyal
Do you have sources to back up your assertions?

dkappe
Posts: 817
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:52 pm
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Re: Maia chess - the holy grail for computer chess?

Post by dkappe » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:50 pm

Madeleine Birchfield wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:50 pm
dkappe wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:41 pm
I would have appreciated a citation in their paper. Apparently they were inspired by my work. https://github.com/dkappe/leela-chess-w ... i/Bad-Gyal
Do you have sources to back up your assertions?

reidmcy12/01/2020
Yeah, Elo being a relative measure makes things tricky, we mention briefly in the paper that Leela is a different scale than Lichess. One of our hopes from having bots on Lichess is we'll get actual Elo ratings for our models
[5:57 PM]
dkappe does some great stuff, his work on those small models is what we used as a starting point. I'll test against Bad Gyal when I have a chance. And if anyone else has models we should test against I'd love to hear it

User avatar
AdminX
Posts: 5610
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Acworth, GA
Contact:

Re: Maia chess - the holy grail for computer chess?

Post by AdminX » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:23 am

Here is an Agadmator vs Maia Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWOmjc-FSRk
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
__________________________________________________________________
Ted Summers

Madeleine Birchfield
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:29 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Re: Maia chess - the holy grail for computer chess?

Post by Madeleine Birchfield » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:07 am

AdminX wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:23 am
Here is an Agadmator vs Maia Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWOmjc-FSRk
Video by ChessNetwork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaGj5cLPB_w

Madeleine Birchfield
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:29 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Full name: Madeleine Birchfield

Re: Maia chess - the holy grail for computer chess?

Post by Madeleine Birchfield » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:55 am

PeterO wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:16 pm
Is this the holy grail of computer chess?

https://maiachess.com

„A neural net chess engine that’s been specifically trained to play like a human of a given level would, by using online games of that level as the corpus“

In the past a „normal engine“ was either unbeatable or played somehow unnatural. This engine could be a gamechanger. What do you think?

Peter
Cheating online is going to become virtually undetectable. No need for using Stockfish for cheating, only a Maia trained to act like a GM or a strong IM, or for beating up low rated players, a Maia trained on players around 2000 elo.

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:35 pm

Re: Maia chess - the holy grail for computer chess?

Post by PeterO » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:44 pm

On their homepage they write: „ In current work, we are pushing the modeling of human play to the next level: can we predict the moves a particular human player would make? It turns out that personalizing Maia gives us our biggest performance gains. We achieve these results by fine-tuning Maia: starting with a base Maia, say Maia 1900, we update the model by continuing training on an individual player’s games. This plot shows that personalized Maias achieve up to 75% accuracy at predicting particular players' moves.“

Image you take a certain chessplayer - his opening book - and 75 % accuracy by his moves!! Fascinating!! :D

The holy grail?

Peter

kinderchocolate
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:55 am
Full name: Ted Wong
Contact:

Re: Maia chess - the holy grail for computer chess?

Post by kinderchocolate » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:53 pm

Madeleine Birchfield wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:55 am
PeterO wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:16 pm
Is this the holy grail of computer chess?

https://maiachess.com

„A neural net chess engine that’s been specifically trained to play like a human of a given level would, by using online games of that level as the corpus“

In the past a „normal engine“ was either unbeatable or played somehow unnatural. This engine could be a gamechanger. What do you think?

Peter
Cheating online is going to become virtually undetectable. No need for using Stockfish for cheating, only a Maia trained to act like a GM or a strong IM, or for beating up low rated players, a Maia trained on players around 2000 elo.
Not exactly. The reported accuracy was only a little over 50%.

Post Reply