Off-the-Air.com incident

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

reflectionofpower

Off-the-Air.com incident

Post by reflectionofpower »

What was this all about? I came on here and BOOM, no talkchess.com?
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Raphexon
Full name: Henk Drost

Re: Off-the-Air.com incident

Post by Raphexon »

So we could realize just how pathetic we would be without! :x
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

reflectionofpower wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:56 pm What was this all about? I came on here and BOOM, no talkchess.com?
http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... 38#p874848
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Good to see Lonnie back! There might be a relation with people searching old posts as CTF was pulled. I could not access Talkchess temporarily , before any crashes happened, with "Too many connections" and I happened to use the search function at the time. It did not crash and probably this was just the server trying to limit load, but still. I was using one account on a very slow computer. Maybe 5 HTML pages in all. Hardly a big load. As this is not the first time, even with more servers, I think it might happen again. The combination of a shop and the present state of antiquated software for this board is IMO fragile and that is just based on my own experiences.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Eelco de Groot wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:30 pm Good to see Lonnie back! There might be a relation with people searching old posts as CTF was pulled. I could not access Talkchess temporarily , before any crashes happened, with "Too many connections" and I happened to use the search function at the time. It did not crash and probably this was just the server trying to limit load, but still. I was using one account on a very slow computer. Maybe 5 HTML pages in all. Hardly a big load. As this is not the first time, even with more servers, I think it might happen again. The combination of a shop and the present state of antiquated software for this board is IMO fragile and that is just based on my own experiences.
I am always around here ... just lurking and if something strikes me fancy I'll make a comment on it. Thanks for the info on what happened.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie