Fat Fritz Update

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

carldaman

Re: Fat Fritz Update

Post by carldaman »

So the new(.2)net = the old(.1) one?
The -70 Elo difference is not a motive for development?
Why continue development, just to catch up to freeware? It's only a commercial product... :roll:
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

corres wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:24 pm
Albert Silver wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:20 pm ...
I stopped development of the NN itself back in February.
So the new(.2)net = the old(.1) one?
Sure, but I have other projects in the works.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

Boggles my mind why the dedicated chess fans on these forums care at all about Fat Fritz.
Go just get the latest Leela version, or try someone's fork / spinoff for free if you want some flavour.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
Collingwood
Full name: .

Post by Collingwood »

AndrewGrant wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:22 am Boggles my mind why the dedicated chess fans on these forums care at all about Fat Fritz.
Go just get the latest Leela version, or try someone's fork / spinoff for free if you want some flavour.
Yes, it seems a little irrational.
Collingwood
Full name: .

Post by Collingwood »

carldaman wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:41 pm
Why continue development, just to catch up to freeware? It's only a commercial product... :roll:
And it may be very hard to catch up anyway. It may have hit its ceiling.
corres

Post by corres »

Collingwood wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:42 am
carldaman wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:41 pm
And it may be very hard to catch up anyway. It may have hit its ceiling.
Maybe Fat Fritz reach its ceiling.
But there are newer method to make stronger net and only the FatFritz was made using (mainly) human games.
So we can hope the style of FatFritz is nearer to human style than of Leela.
This is the cause why I interested in FatFritz.
Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Post by Stephen Ham »

Hi Guys,

I too value Fat Fritz. In addition to its interesting and aggressive style which is useful for analysis, I like its evaluation function. While I'm critical of all engine evaluations, FF is superior to SF NNUE's tiny net evaluations. Given sufficient time, I think its evaluations are the best I've seen from an engine.

I also think FF hasn't been given a fair chance to demonstrate its performance. I want to see it in TCEC...although I know that won't happen, which is a shame. My perception is that it's roughly equal in strength/performance to SF NNUE...until reaching the endgame. Then the performance drops off sharply. However, I'll bet that Albert can fix that if given a chance to play in TCEC.

-Steve-
corres

Post by corres »

Stephen Ham wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:33 am ...until reaching the endgame. Then the performance drops off sharply.
-Steve-
It is pity but Masters, Grand Master did not use to play out the endgames so there are relative few game in chessbase Database with completed endgames.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Nordlandia wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:37 pm Version .2 available.

Fritz Update in addition.

By the way, the multi gpu syntax "(backend=cuda-fp16,gpu=0),(backend=cuda-fp16,gpu=1)" does not work on Fat Fritz though. Do anyone know a quick fix ?
When I run Fritz it asks if I want to update Fat Fritz from version 20 to version 2 (not .2) which is a little odd..
That gui has been a bug fest for several years now.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

JohnW wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:19 pm
Nordlandia wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:37 pm Version .2 available.

Fritz Update in addition.

By the way, the multi gpu syntax "(backend=cuda-fp16,gpu=0),(backend=cuda-fp16,gpu=1)" does not work on Fat Fritz though. Do anyone know a quick fix ?
When I run Fritz it asks if I want to update Fat Fritz from version 20 to version 2 (not .2) which is a little odd..
That gui has been a bug fest for several years now.
That is likely not a bug, but asking whether you want to upgrade Fat Fritz as opposed to the GUI. They update separately.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."