Lc0 in GTX video card

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Jouni
Posts: 2388
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Lc0 in GTX video card

Post by Jouni » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:14 pm

My impression after some weeks testing. Interesting alternative to CPU engines. Can find some moves missed by SF. But I seldom start it anymore. Why? Too weak loses badly to SF12 and 4 cores! Weak in test suites. Don't show current move in analysis. Speed with NVIDIA drivers is about 3 knps/big net. Obviously Lc0 is usable only with RTX cards :) .
Jouni

Pi4Chess
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:13 am
Full name: Manuel Rivera

Re: Lc0 in GTX video card

Post by Pi4Chess » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:36 pm

I agree. Leela needs so much computing power to achieve what SF 12 can do with normal hardware setup.

My joke is that "Leela is for the rich and Stockfish for the poor"

MMarco
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:09 pm
Full name: Marc-O Moisan-Plante

Re: Lc0 in GTX video card

Post by MMarco » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:28 pm

Jouni wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:14 pm
My impression after some weeks testing. Interesting alternative to CPU engines. Can find some moves missed by SF. But I seldom start it anymore. Why? Too weak loses badly to SF12 and 4 cores! Weak in test suites. Don't show current move in analysis. Speed with NVIDIA drivers is about 3 knps/big net. Obviously Lc0 is usable only with RTX cards :) .
What card at what time control did you used?

I've a laptop with a GTX 1660Ti + Ryzen-7 3750H. Here are results at 2m+2s (with the Ryzen @ 3.3 Ghz):

Code: Select all

   # PLAYER                  :  RATING  ERROR  PLAYED    (%)   CFS    W    D    L   D(%)
   1 lc0-263-j94-80          :     9.1   22.9     300  51.17    78   62  183   55  61.00
   2 stockfish-12-4cpu       :     0.0   ----    1200  56.96    99  347  673  180  56.08
   3 lc0-263-ls-15           :   -35.1   27.7     300  45.50    99   58  157   85  52.33
   4 lc0-PhoenixStein-1.1    :   -85.5   28.1     300  39.17    87   36  163  101  54.33
   5 lc0-263-703810          :  -108.8   29.0     300  36.33   ---   24  170  106  56.67

White advantage = 114.47 +/- 6.16
Draw rate (equal opponents) = 67.30 % +/- 1.69
Yes...I get around 3knps for the big nets thanks to improvements in drivers and Lc0 backend. At faster time control, SFNNUE will kill it though.

As for Lc0 not showing analysis, it always does in console mode. I guess your GUI cuts the output at low depth, so that is why your missing the analysis lines. Is that a Chessbase GUI? I think there might be a workaround, but I'm not sure how to.

Anyway, like you said a RTX card is much better. Today there are laptops at 800-900$ usd with a RTX 2060, but the processors get stronger too! I have another one with a RTX 2060 and a 8-cores Ryzen-9 4900H. With SFNNUE on 8-cores I need a time control of 5m+3s to have Lc0 about on par. Note that a mobile Ryzen-9 is just as strong as some desktop CPU like a 3700x or a 9900k (without over overclocking).

Otherwise, I run micro-bullets on the GTX (2s + 0.2s) with 10x128 networks. Those are about on par with SFNNUE on one Ryzen-7 core in these conditions.

Code: Select all

   # PLAYER                 :  RATING  ERROR  PLAYED    (%)   CFS     W     D     L   D(%)
   1 lc0-263-tinker-6430    :    13.4    9.6    1952  51.87    95   495  1035   422  53.02
   2 lc0-263-703810         :     1.8   10.5    1994  50.25    63   469  1066   459  53.46
   3 stockfish-12-1cpu      :     0.0   ----   11881  50.74    88  2831  6395  2655  53.83
   4 lc0-263-730730         :    -6.1   10.4    1994  49.15    70   435  1090   469  54.66
   5 lc0-263-702820         :   -10.3   10.7    1994  48.57    59   441  1055   498  52.91
   6 lc0-263-jio-3450       :   -11.9   10.2    1953  48.34    83   397  1094   462  56.02
   7 lc0-263-730315         :   -18.6    9.0    1994  47.42   ---   418  1055   521  52.91

White advantage = 53.81 +/- 2.25
Draw rate (equal opponents) = 55.32 % +/- 0.43

Nay Lin Tun
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Lc0 in GTX video card

Post by Nay Lin Tun » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:31 am

I have 1060 GTX 3GB, on 4 cores PC, Lc0 and Stockfish are very close strength ( may be within 50 elo in blitz , although I havent tested enough games to get accurate elo).

If you have only built in intel GPU or > 5 years old GPU, Lc0 is not suitable for you, otherwise it is on par with Stockfish.

User avatar
phhnguyen
Posts: 892
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 am
Location: Australia
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham
Contact:

Re: Lc0 in GTX video card

Post by phhnguyen » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:24 am

Pi4Chess wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:36 pm
My joke is that "Leela is for the rich and Stockfish for the poor"
Are you sure? You may buy 1K cheap computer + 1K graphics card to play Lc0. With 2K only it’s not easy to buy a multi-cores computer which is good enough for SF to vs Lc0 in above computer ;)
https://banksiagui.com
A freeware chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager

Nay Lin Tun
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: Lc0 in GTX video card

Post by Nay Lin Tun » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:14 am

phhnguyen wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:24 am
Pi4Chess wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:36 pm
My joke is that "Leela is for the rich and Stockfish for the poor"
Are you sure? You may buy 1K cheap computer + 1K graphics card to play Lc0. With 2K only it’s not easy to buy a multi-cores computer which is good enough for SF to vs Lc0 in above computer ;)
Exactly, when you spend extra $500 or $1000 in upgrading PC ( a GPU upgrade or 4 cores to 32 cores cpu upgrade), a $ 500 or $1000 worth of GPU upgrade should be on par with similar upgrade in spending cpu, provided that you know which GPU is good for Lc0 and how to install Lc0 properly.

User avatar
jshriver
Posts: 1239
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Morgantown, WV, USA
Contact:

Re: Lc0 in GTX video card

Post by jshriver » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:45 am

Agree, my laptop has a 1660 in it and lc0 and Fat Fritz run horribly. So much I should do a match against tscp

MMarco
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:09 pm
Full name: Marc-O Moisan-Plante

Re: Lc0 in GTX video card

Post by MMarco » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:58 am

jshriver wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:45 am
Agree, my laptop has a 1660 in it and lc0 and Fat Fritz run horribly. So much I should do a match against tscp
Did you use the recent cuda backend? That one works very bad with my 1660 Ti, but cudnn works fine.

User avatar
jshriver
Posts: 1239
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: Morgantown, WV, USA
Contact:

Re: Lc0 in GTX video card

Post by jshriver » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:35 am

MMarco wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:58 am
jshriver wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:45 am
Agree, my laptop has a 1660 in it and lc0 and Fat Fritz run horribly. So much I should do a match against tscp
Did you use the recent cuda backend? That one works very bad with my 1660 Ti, but cudnn works fine.

I'm using the latest nvidia drivers and lc0 0.26.3 cuda that comes with Fritz 17.

Just looked and while i have the latest drivers, there is a newer cuda package. Installing now. Tried to run the version of lc0 from the official website but gave me a Cuda error: the provided ptx was compiled with an unsupported toolchain.

Ferdy
Posts: 4527
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Philippines

Re: Lc0 in GTX video card

Post by Ferdy » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:00 am

MMarco wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:28 pm
As for Lc0 not showing analysis, it always does in console mode. I guess your GUI cuts the output at low depth, so that is why your missing the analysis lines. Is that a Chessbase GUI? I think there might be a workaround, but I'm not sure how to.
Probably he meant this.

Image

Post Reply