Learn by playing, NOT by letting and engine to figure it out.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Learn by playing, NOT by letting and engine to figure it out.

Post by Chessqueen »

Here try to Win with White to move, please do NOT use any engine to help you, it is better if you get an engine close to your rating and try to win with White, it is the best way to learn NOT by setting the endgame TB and let the engine fig out for you

[d]k7/8/1K1N4/7p/7N/8/8/8 w - - 0 1

The Next position is to first look at eh position and withou using any engine to figure it out for you tell us if you can win with White to move, again the best way to learn this pattern or position if you ever see it is to get an engine close to your rating play with White and see what the engine do with the Black pieces and learn

[d]8/6p1/3k4/8/3K1PP1/8/8/8 w - - 0 1
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
Chessqueen

Re: Learn by playing, NOT by letting an engine to figure it out.

Post by Chessqueen »

Chessqueen wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:34 pm Here try to Win with White to move, please do NOT use any engine to help you, it is better if you get an engine close to your rating and try to win with White, it is the best way to learn NOT by setting the endgame TB and let the engine figure it out for you :roll:

The Next position is to first look at the position and without using any engine to let us know if you can win with White to move, again the best way to learn this pattern or position if you ever see it again is to get an engine close to your rating and play with White and see what the engine do with the Black pieces and learn and after several time at least three times you will become very familiar.

This is the reason why we should be familiar with endgame, sometimes even when you watch two engines you should know how to play it

[pgn][Event "Samsung Galaxy S20 Vs Intel i9 9900K"]
[Date "2021.01.05"]
[Round "1"]
[White "Stockfish 280920 "]
[Black "Houdini 6.03"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[BlackElo "3470"]
[ECO "B19"]
[Opening "Caro-Kann"]
[Time "14:08:33"]
[Variation "Classical, 7.Nf3 e6"]
[WhiteElo "3480"]
[TimeControl "900+3"]
[Termination "unterminated"]
[PlyCount "183"]

1. e4 c6 2. Nc3 d5 3. d4 dxe4 4. Nxe4 Bf5 5. Ng3 Bg6 6. h4 h6 7. Nf3 e6 8.
Ne5 Bh7 9. Bd3 Bxd3 10. Qxd3 Nd7 11. Qe2 Ngf6 12. O-O Be7 13. c4 O-O 14.
Bf4 Qb6 15. Nxd7 Nxd7 16. Rad1 Rad8 17. Rd3 Kh8 18. Nh5 Rg8 19. Rfd1 Nf8
20. Qd2 Rd7 21. Ng3 Bb4 22. Qc1 Qd8 23. Ne4 Be7 24. Qe3 f5 25. Nc3 Bxh4 26.
d5 Qe8 27. Be5 Kh7 28. d6 b6 29. c5 Rb7 30. cxb6 axb6 31. a4 Nd7 32. Bh2
Rb8 33. Qf4 Bf6 34. Qc4 Rc8 35. Re3 e5 36. b4 Rf8 37. Rf3 g6 38. Ne2 c5 39.
Rc3 cxb4 40. Qxb4 Qe6 41. Qb5 Rxc3 42. Nxc3 Rc8 43. Nd5 Bd8 44. Qa6 Rc6 45.
a5 Rxd6 46. Qa8 bxa5 47. Qxd8 Rxd5 48. Rxd5 Qxd5 49. Qe7+ Kg8 50. Qe8+ Nf8
51. Bxe5 Qd1+ 52. Kh2 Qd7 53. Qb8 g5 54. Bd6 Qf7 55. Qd8 a4 56. Kg1 Kg7 57.
Bxf8+ Qxf8 58. Qd7+ Qf7 59. Qxa4 h5 60. g3 Qe7 61. Qd4+ Kh7 62. Kh2 Kg6 63.
Qb6+ Kg7 64. Qd4+ Kg6 65. Qb6+ Qf6 66. Qe3 Kh6 67. Kg1 f4 68. gxf4 gxf4 69.
Qd2 Qg5+ 70. Kh2 Qe5 71. f3 Qf6 72. Qd5 Qg6 73. Kh1 Qa6 74. Kg2 Qg6+ 75.
Kf1 Qf6 76. Kg1 Qe7 77. Kg2 Qe2+ 78. Kg1 Qe3+ 79. Kf1 Kg6 80. Qd6+ Kg7 81.
Qd7+ Kh6 82. Qd6+ Kg7 83. Qd7+ Kg6 84. Qd5 Qc1+ 85. Kg2 Qb2+ 86. Kh3 Qf6
87. Qg8+ Qg7 88. Qxg7+ Kxg7 89. Kg2 Kf6 90. Kh3 Kg5 91. Kg2 Kf6 92. Kh3 *[/pgn]
M ANSARI

Re: Learn by playing, NOT by letting and engine to figure it out.

Post by M ANSARI »

Chessqueen wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:34 pm Here try to Win with White to move, please do NOT use any engine to help you, it is better if you get an engine close to your rating and try to win with White, it is the best way to learn NOT by setting the endgame TB and let the engine fig out for you

The Next position is to first look at eh position and withou using any engine to figure it out for you tell us if you can win with White to move, again the best way to learn this pattern or position if you ever see it is to get an engine close to your rating play with White and see what the engine do with the Black pieces and learn

Actually first positions is very easy ... you just stalemate the king with the other knight and use the fact that black side has to move the pawn and gain a tempo and thus you check and mate.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Chessqueen wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:34 pm Here try to Win with White to move, please do NOT use any engine to help you, it is better if you get an engine close to your rating and try to win with White, it is the best way to learn NOT by setting the endgame TB and let the engine fig out for you

Actually the two positions are pretty much easy and were spotted by me in less than a one minute ....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:15 pm
Chessqueen wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:34 pm
The Next position is to first look at eh position and without using any engine to figure it out for you tell us if you can win with White to move, again the best way to learn this pattern or position if you ever see it is to get an engine close to your rating play with White and see what the engine do with the Black pieces and learn

Actually the two positions are pretty much easy and were spotted by me in less than a one minute ....
Interesting that you were able to spot the winning move in less than a minute, realized that it is winning in 15 moves with best play, tell me what you moved first? Did you actually pick up an engine like Stockfish after you thought that you had the winning move figured out on your head. Please take White and play it out with either Stockfish, Komodo, LCZero, or Ethereal and tell me in how many move were you able to beat the chosen engine.

NOTE: If that is the case In Chess Fundamental, it clearly say that if the bishop pawn or the knight pawn move first it will end up in a draw due to the opposition principle after Black answer with P-Kt3, but according to all the top 6 engines it is proven NOT to be the case White can still win by moving the bishop pawn by one square P-B5 ! Please play it out and let us know in how many moves where you able to checkmate the Black King.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Chessqueen wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:34 pm The Next position is to first look at eh position and withou using any engine to figure it out for you tell us if you can win with White to move, again the best way to learn this pattern or position if you ever see it is to get an engine close to your rating play with White and see what the engine do with the Black pieces and learn

Are you just trolling???
Out of possible 7 moves for white 6 are winning (i.e. don't lead to draw) so literally picking a random move almost guarantees a winning move. Played it out against SF with 6-men and only got stuck at one point where I had to think for a couple of seconds. Ofc I didn't mate in 25 moves like the most optimal mate, but in 28. Still who cares.
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Milos wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:42 pm
Chessqueen wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:34 pm The Next position is to first look at eh position and withou using any engine to figure it out for you tell us if you can win with White to move, again the best way to learn this pattern or position if you ever see it is to get an engine close to your rating play with White and see what the engine do with the Black pieces and learn

Are you just trolling???
Out of possible 7 moves for white 6 are winning (i.e. don't lead to draw) so literally picking a random move almost guarantees a winning move. Played it out against SF with 6-men and only got stuck at one point where I had to think for a couple of seconds. Ofc I didn't mate in 25 moves like the most optimal mate, but in 28. Still who cares.
At the contrary, I was NOT trolling, I was proud of Dr.Wael Deeb that he was able to find the solution by himself, instead of what most of people who post here who immediately set up the position and let their favorite top 3 or 4 engines with endgame TB solve it for them and claim that they solve it by themselves. after I finished the tactical book recommended by my trainer he told me to purchase two endgames books and two Middlegames books which I am reading them now. when I saw this position and it say that by moving either the bishop or knight pawn it would end up in a draw I could NOT believe it and without using any computer which my trainer told me to first try to solve it by myself even if I try 3 or four times, that it is the best way to learn and NOT by using any engines with TB. Well my experience with this particular endgame position which seems rather easy at first look. I try to win against an engine that is close to my rating Snowy rated around 1900 and I try to solve it by moving the bishop pawn and it took me 29 moves to checkmate the Black pieces, then I realized that the Irving Cherney book has an unproven endgame motif , since he stated that if you move either pawn the game will end in a draw due to the opposition principles by Black moving its pawn to knight 3 (P - Kt3), and it is NOT true. Nowadays computer has proven a lot of theory wrong. Ethereal in less than 3 seconds advance its Bishop pawn, while Komodo without endgame TB move it King down to e3 like Dr. Wael said there are 6 ways to win, but only one is the fastest. Try different top 4 engines without endgame TB and they all start with different moves :roll:

Milos

Post by Milos »

Chessqueen wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:21 am

Are you just trolling???
At the contrary, I was NOT trolling, I was proud of Dr.Wael Deeb that he was able to find the solution by himself, instead of what most of people who post here who immediately set up the position and let their favorite top 3 or 4 engines with endgame TB solve it for them and claim that they solve it by themselves. after I finished the tactical book recommended by my trainer he told me to purchase two endgames books and two Middlegames books which I am reading them now. when I saw this position and it say that by moving either the bishop or knight pawn it would end up in a draw I could NOT believe it and without using any computer which my trainer told me to first try to solve it by myself even if I try 3 or four times, that it is the best way to learn and NOT by using any engines with TB. Well my experience with this particular endgame position which seems rather easy at first look. I try to win against an engine that is close to my rating Snowy rated around 1900 and I try to solve it by moving the bishop pawn and it took me 29 moves to checkmate the Black pieces, then I realized that the Irving Cherney book has an unproven endgame motif , since he stated that if you move either pawn the game will end in a draw due to the opposition principles by Black moving its pawn to knight 3 (P - Kt3), and it is NOT true. Nowadays computer has proven a lot of theory wrong. Ethereal in less than 3 seconds advance its Bishop pawns, while Komodo without endgame TB move it King down to e3 like Dr. Wael said rhere are 6 ways to win, but only one is the fastest. Try different top 4 engines without endgame TB and they all start with different moves :roll:

Winning after f5 is marginally harder because next two white moves are the only possible choice, but still how long does it take for someone to simply check all possibilities and sees that first white needs to take the black pawn and then needs to push the other pawn to block the black king? And after that the rest is trivial. There are ofc tons of problems where dubious chess books fail and playing against an engine is always better way to learn than memorizing some dubious rules from some book.
Regarding f5 I don't know for other engines but SF sees it in few hundred milliseconds.
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Milos wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:44 am
Chessqueen wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:21 am

Are you just trolling???
At the contrary, I was NOT trolling, I was proud of Dr.Wael Deeb that he was able to find the solution by himself, instead of what most of people who post here who immediately set up the position and let their favorite top 3 or 4 engines with endgame TB solve it for them and claim that they solve it by themselves. after I finished the tactical book recommended by my trainer he told me to purchase two endgames books and two Middlegames books which I am reading them now. when I saw this position and it say that by moving either the bishop or knight pawn it would end up in a draw I could NOT believe it and without using any computer which my trainer told me to first try to solve it by myself even if I try 3 or four times, that it is the best way to learn and NOT by using any engines with TB. Well my experience with this particular endgame position which seems rather easy at first look. I try to win against an engine that is close to my rating Snowy rated around 1900 and I try to solve it by moving the bishop pawn and it took me 29 moves to checkmate the Black pieces, then I realized that the Irving Cherney book has an unproven endgame motif , since he stated that if you move either pawn the game will end in a draw due to the opposition principles by Black moving its pawn to knight 3 (P - Kt3), and it is NOT true. Nowadays computer has proven a lot of theory wrong. Ethereal in less than 3 seconds advance its Bishop pawns, while Komodo without endgame TB move it King down to e3 like Dr. Wael said rhere are 6 ways to win, but only one is the fastest. Try different top 4 engines without endgame TB and they all start with different moves :roll:

Winning after f5 is marginally harder because next two white moves are the only possible choice, but still how long does it take for someone to simply check all possibilities and sees that first white needs to take the black pawn and then needs to push the other pawn to block the black king? And after that the rest is trivial. There are ofc tons of problems where dubious chess books fail and playing against an engine is always better way to learn than memorizing some dubious rules from some book.
Regarding f5 I don't know for other engines but SF sees it in few hundred milliseconds.

Not really here is Ethereal Vs Komodo without endgame TB, I truely believe that all testers should be testing engines with only 4 moves Opening and without using any endgames TB, so engines could really be tested for their knowledge instead of Opening and endgame TB, which to me the only part of the engine being tested is the Middlegame portion :roll:

[pgn][Event "Engines endgame without TB"]
[Site "DESKTOP-OFQ3C0P"]
[Date "2021.01.08"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Ethereal12.75-x64-popcnt"]
[Black "Komodo-13.3-64bit"]
[Result "*"]
[BlackElo "3480"]
[Time "19:17:21"]
[WhiteElo "3480"]
[TimeControl "420+3"]
[SetUp "1"]
[FEN "8/6p1/3k4/8/3K1PP1/8/8/8 w - - 1 1"]
[Termination "normal"]
[PlyCount "10"]
[WhiteType "program"]
[BlackType "program"]

1. f5 g6 2. fxg6 Ke6 3. g5 Ke7 4. Ke5 Kf8 5. Kf6 Kg8 {Black resigns} *[/pgn]
JohnWoe

Post by JohnWoe »

Mayhem 2.7 playout vs SF12.
1st Mayhem needs a bit time to see the mate.

1st
[pgn][Event "Computer Chess Game"]
[Site "pc"]
[Date "2021.01.09"]
[Round "-"]
[White "Mayhem 2.7"]
[Black "Stockfish 12"]
[Result "1-0"]
[TimeControl "120+1"]
[FEN "k7/8/1K1N4/7p/7N/8/8/8 w - - 0 1"]
[SetUp "1"]

{--------------