Stockfish NNUE speed is improved a lot

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jouni

Stockfish NNUE speed is improved a lot

Post by Jouni »

GitHub says: On CPUs supporting modern vector instructions (avx2 and similar), the NNUE evaluation results in stronger playing strength, even if the nodes per second computed by the engine is somewhat lower (roughly 60% of nps is typical). I also remember first NNUE versions speed was about 65-70% of classic. I tested 8.1.2021 version (bmi) with bench. Now NNUE runs with about 88% of classic speed :!: . Nice speed-up and optimization. Soon 100%?
Jouni
Raphexon
Full name: Henk Drost

Re: Stockfish NNUE speed is improved a lot

Post by Raphexon »

Because in the past NNUE was pure and now it's hybrid.

Most of the speedup comes from classical eval being used on some nodes.
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

If I use evalType == "NNUE" for bench still classical eval?
Jouni
RogerC
Full name: Roger C.

Post by RogerC »

Jouni wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:24 pm GitHub says: On CPUs supporting modern vector instructions (avx2 and similar), the NNUE evaluation results in stronger playing strength, even if the nodes per second computed by the engine is somewhat lower (roughly 60% of nps is typical). I also remember first NNUE versions speed was about 65-70% of classic. I tested 8.1.2021 version (bmi) with bench. Now NNUE runs with about 88% of classic speed :!: . Nice speed-up and optimization. Soon 100%?
Hi, i have a 102% speed between pure NNUE vs hybrid on SD865+ processor on last Cfish and 8 cores.
Optimizations pushed the pure eval to be faster on heavy vector processors + big cache levels. Should be the same on Intel i9.