In ten years Stockfish or Komodo will beat Nakamura with Knight Odds

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

In ten years Stockfish or Komodo will beat Nakamura with Knight Odds

Post by Chessqueen »

With Computer 4 times fasters and much better Engines than today :mrgreen:
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: In ten years Stockfish or Komodo will beat Nakamura with Knight Odds

Post by Laskos »

Chessqueen wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:34 am With Computer 4 times fasters and much better Engines than today :mrgreen:
In what game conditions?
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

Chessqueen wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:34 am With Computer 4 times fasters and much better Engines than today :mrgreen:
That is possible even today as long as the engines favor complexity over best moves.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

He would have a pretty difficult time even today, especially if it were a blitz match. Computers don't feel time pressure.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

JohnW wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:43 pm
He would have a pretty difficult time even today, especially if it were a blitz match. Computers don't feel time pressure.
I'm nearly even with Dragon at 10' + 5" at knight odds now (MCTS or standard mode doesn't seem to matter much). I'm pretty sure that Nakamura plays better with 2' + 1" than I do with 10' + 5", so I'm pretty sure that he would beat Dragon at 2' + 1" (or 3' with no inc). Maybe 1' + 1" might be close to fair. I'm sure we can find ways to improve its performance under such conditions, but it's hard to imagine it ever coming out ahead in Rapid (as opposed to Blitz). Maybe if we make it Armageddon knight odds, where Dragon only needs to draw a piece down to win, then that becomes a realistic goal.
Komodo rules!
mmt
Full name: .

Post by mmt »

Jhoravi wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:57 am That is possible even today as long as the engines favor complexity over best moves.
Maybe somebody could train a net for knight odds against a weaker opponent. It would be interesting to see how it would try to complicate positions.
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

lkaufman wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:54 pm
I'm nearly even with Dragon at 10' + 5" at knight odds now (MCTS or standard mode doesn't seem to matter much). I'm pretty sure that Nakamura plays better with 2' + 1" than I do with 10' + 5", so I'm pretty sure that he would beat Dragon at 2' + 1" (or 3' with no inc). Maybe 1' + 1" might be close to fair. I'm sure we can find ways to improve its performance under such conditions, but it's hard to imagine it ever coming out ahead in Rapid (as opposed to Blitz). Maybe if we make it Armageddon knight odds, where Dragon only needs to draw a piece down to win, then that becomes a realistic goal.
Thanks for answering I was going to use you or your Son for reference since about 4 months ago you stated that your son can beat Komodo with a Knight Odds, now it is possible that at less than 1'+1" Nakamura might lose against Komodo But NOT in TC greater than 2'+1"
Marcus9
Full name: Marco Giorgio

Post by Marcus9 »

Larry, there are possibility of seeing similar match in the coming days?
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Marcus9 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:35 pm
Yes this would be a great idea to see if Komodo Dragon can at least draw = Win Vs GM Naka at 1'+1" Knight Odds :mrgreen:
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Chessqueen wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:19 am
Marcus9 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:35 pm
Yes this would be a great idea to see if Komodo Dragon can at least draw = Win Vs GM Naka at 1'+1" Knight Odds :mrgreen:
That would indeed be an interesting match, probably a close one. Another idea is to give the GM a big handicap initially, reducing it every time he wins a game. I think it makes sense to have a match whenever we release a new version of Dragon, so roughly quarterly.
Komodo rules!