Fat Fritz 2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

Re: Fat Fritz 2

Post by MikeB »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:46 pm
dkappe wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:53 pm
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:45 pm
dkappe wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:40 pm And it’s always a good idea to actually check to whom you are responding. :D

Shall I send it to you as cuneiform tablets?
Comments like these are confusing:
http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... 78#p881878
http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... 80#p881880
I see the Shop page says it is from Albert Silver, the comment above made it seem as if you were involved.
Nope. I’ve certainly helped with some scripts and advice, but I do all of my chess development and net training for free. If I were to sell my work, however, then I would be a thief and a terrible person. The GPL is not anti business or anti profit. Quite the opposite. It just seems that in chess circles, profit is viewed as evil.
There is nothing wrong with selling your hard work, and making a profit but this is blatant theft. Maybe the GPL is junk and needs an update. QUITE SERIOUSLY. What is of the community should stay with the community; it shouldn't become a pet, scheming, scam-pilot project called "FAT FRITZ 2". There shouldn't even be an argument or a discussion in defense of Chessbase's knockoff scheme. It's just downright petty. Really? The new number one? LMAO. It's a freaking Stockfish derivative. That's all it is.

This whole thing is complete nonsense.

Call it WHAT IT IS. THEFT. STEALING. KNOCK OFF. There is absolutely no difference between what Chessbase is doing or those markets in China that sell knockoff branded shoes. Profiting off the work of others is a PATHETIC thing. Congratulations Chessbase.
You're paying $99 for a net, all the other stuff you are getting was provided before in earlier Chessbase releases or is Stockfish. Maybe it is time for SF and or others to make a 40 MB net, that is freely available.
dkappe
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Post by dkappe »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:46 pm
dkappe wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:53 pm
Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:45 pm
dkappe wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:40 pm And it’s always a good idea to actually check to whom you are responding. :D

Shall I send it to you as cuneiform tablets?
Comments like these are confusing:
http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... 78#p881878
http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... 80#p881880
I see the Shop page says it is from Albert Silver, the comment above made it seem as if you were involved.
Nope. I’ve certainly helped with some scripts and advice, but I do all of my chess development and net training for free. If I were to sell my work, however, then I would be a thief and a terrible person. The GPL is not anti business or anti profit. Quite the opposite. It just seems that in chess circles, profit is viewed as evil.
There is nothing wrong with selling your hard work, and making a profit but this is blatant theft. Maybe the GPL is junk and needs an update. QUITE SERIOUSLY. What is of the community should stay with the community; it shouldn't become a pet, scheming, scam-pilot project called "FAT FRITZ 2". There shouldn't even be an argument or a discussion in defense of Chessbase's knockoff scheme. It's just downright petty. Really? The new number one? LMAO. It's a freaking Stockfish derivative. That's all it is.

This whole thing is complete nonsense.

Call it WHAT IT IS. THEFT. STEALING. KNOCK OFF. There is absolutely no difference between what Chessbase is doing or those markets in China that sell knockoff branded shoes. Profiting off the work of others is a PATHETIC thing. Congratulations Chessbase.
You clearly don’t understand the GPLv3. If you or any one wants to a) change the name of the engine from stockfish to silly billy b) add their name to the authors list c) distribute it alongside commercial nets while providing the source code, then that is explicitly allowed by the GPL. Calling it “theft” just because you don’t like a company or individual is defamatory.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Chessbase have declared exactly what Fat Fritz 2 is. People are free to choose. No-one is forced to buy it.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Modern Times wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:21 pm Chessbase have declared exactly what Fat Fritz 2 is. People are free to choose. No-one is forced to buy it.
I have no idea why you think that statement makes sense, or is even relevant.

Let's try this:

I put this Hollywood movie on my website but I changed the title, and I'm asking 50 USD per download. I have declared exactly what it is. People are free to choose - nobody is forced to download it.

Do you think you'll get away with it?
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:48 pm
Modern Times wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:21 pm Chessbase have declared exactly what Fat Fritz 2 is. People are free to choose. No-one is forced to buy it.

Let's try this:

I put this Hollywood movie on my website but I changed the title, and I'm asking 50 USD per download. I have declared exactly what it is. People are free to choose - nobody is forced to download it.

Do you think you'll get away with it?
If the movie is originally released under CC0, then yes, provided you make some minor modifications to it. Next!
Last edited by dkappe on Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fat Titz by Stockfish, the engine with the bodaciously big net. Remember: size matters. If you want to learn more about this engine just google for "Fat Titz".
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:48 pm

Makes perfect sense. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Quite simple.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

If anyone has purchased FF2 , can you answer these questions.

What parts of FF2 are standalone, is the Stockfish engine exe standalone exe?, is the 40MB net a standalone NNUE?

Also, can you run FF2 under cutechess and can you use it with other 40 MB nets were they to become available?
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Legal concerns aside for a moment, I do think it's a bit dishonest they compare F.F to SF 12 rather than using the clearly stronger SF Dev.

When you write an article claiming to be the strongest chess entity, the closest rivals need to be included and SF 12 isn't it anymore.
dkappe

Post by dkappe »

Werewolf wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:51 pm Legal concerns aside for a moment, I do think it's a bit dishonest they compare F.F to SF 12 rather than using the clearly stronger SF Dev.

When you write an article claiming to be the strongest chess entity, the closest rivals need to be included and SF 12 isn't it anymore.
SFDev is a moving target. SF12 is not.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

dkappe wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:59 pm
Werewolf wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:51 pm Legal concerns aside for a moment, I do think it's a bit dishonest they compare F.F to SF 12 rather than using the clearly stronger SF Dev.

SFDev is a moving target. SF12 is not.
It's easy to pick a SF Dev date that is close to the release of Fat Fritz 2