Interesting read about Fat Fritz 2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MMarco
Full name: Marc-O Moisan-Plante

Interesting read about Fat Fritz 2

Post by MMarco »

An important message from open source chess organizations: https://lichess.org/blog/YCvy7xMAACIA80 ... -a-rip-off
noobpwnftw

Re: Interesting read about Fat Fritz 2

Post by noobpwnftw »

Thanks for raising the topic, at least now CPW will pick up relevant articles like this if not manually edited. :D
Collingwood
Full name: .

Post by Collingwood »

Training such a network is not unusual; members of the Leela project do so regularly to test ideas. But they have never pretended to have created a new engine by training a new network.
It is sad to see claims of innovation where there has been none, and claims of improvement in an engine that is weaker than its open-source origins. It is also sad to see people appropriating the open-source work and effort of others and claiming it as their own.

Gian-Carlo Pascutto
@gcpascutto
"If your idea of innovation in chess is charging 100 EUR for changing the parameters of an open source engine, you're going to have some problems competing with http://chess.com and http://lichess.org."
simonizeourwatches
Full name: THOMAS PEEBLES

Post by simonizeourwatches »

It is somewhat misleading to suggest that the only difference between FF2 and SF12 is the larger number of neurons in FF12. For example, when the two engines evaluate the same position, SF12 frequently shows a higher score for the side to move than FF2. I do not claim that either way of scoring is better than the other; I think that is OK as long as the best move has a higher score than the other moves (if there is a "best" move).
If FF2 (and its corporate friends) did something unethical, they would deserve criticism.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

I wonder... will this thread reach 40+ pages like the other one ? :mrgreen:
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Modern Times wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:43 am I wonder... will this thread reach 40+ pages like the other one ? :mrgreen:
Well, some dogs never like letting go of their bone.
Not calling anybody a dog. It's just a saying.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
noobpwnftw

Post by noobpwnftw »

I predict the whitewash will go about like this:

ASilver will argue that he has nothing to do with misleading in marketing of FF. CB will claim that the description and technical details were provided by ASilver and there might be miscommunications including purposely typoing "Stocksh" for SEO purposes.

The DDOS on https://www.fatfritz.net is done by some unknown third party, click bots on my Ad campaign are from real users, and none of the complaints that I appealed and successfully refuted twice in a row were related to them.

Too many coincidences, don't you think? This is just low.
glennsamuel32

Post by glennsamuel32 »

Graham Banks wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:57 am
Modern Times wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:43 am I wonder... will this thread reach 40+ pages like the other one ? :mrgreen:
Well, some dogs never like letting go of their bone.
Not calling anybody a dog. It's just a saying.
Ever heard of this saying -- Birds of the same feather flock together ?
Judge without bias, or don't judge at all...
daniel71

Post by daniel71 »

My opinion is that if Chessbase wants to use the Stockfish engine and charge a premium for a free engine they should donate money to the Stockfish Developers or pay a license fee so the Stockfish engine will continue and give the dedicated Stockfish team a little incentive for giving us a wonderful program. Chessbase should improve their teaching algorithms in the software, not borrow others hard work to make a easy buck...
daniel71

Post by daniel71 »

Also maybe revise the GPL to state "Free for personal use and education, if the code is to be sold for a commercial for profit entity then a percentage of revenue shall be donated to the original programmers or a license should be contracted for the future development of said software".