ProDeo 3.1 - The PESTO version

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
dkappe
Posts: 855
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:52 pm
Full name: Dietrich Kappe

Re: ProDeo 3.1 - The PESTO version

Post by dkappe » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:55 pm

Rebel wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:34 am

Can't remember that I shared PST's a couple of months ago, I do remember I once did years ago. You will have to refresh my memory :D
I was thinking of the ones from this thread: http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... ece+square

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5803
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: ProDeo 3.1 - The PESTO version

Post by Rebel » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:38 pm

dkappe wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:55 pm
Rebel wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:34 am

Can't remember that I shared PST's a couple of months ago, I do remember I once did years ago. You will have to refresh my memory :D
I was thinking of the ones from this thread: http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.p ... ece+square
Indeed, forgot all about it.

Refreshed regards.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
silentshark
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:15 pm
Contact:

Re: ProDeo 3.1 - The PESTO version

Post by silentshark » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:00 pm

I might give this a try, for fun. So rip out existing PST's use the PESTO ones, keep everything else 'as is'. Test..

supersharp77
Posts: 991
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:54 am
Location: Southwest USA

Re: ProDeo 3.1 - The PESTO version

Post by supersharp77 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:29 am

Rebel wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 pm
PESTO stands for Piece Square Tables Only as described on the Rofchade website by Dutchman Ronald Friederich and later implemented in TSCP by Rodent author Pawel Koziol which gave TSCP an 200 elo boast.

Inspired by this I implemented PESTO in ProDeo (on top of the existing PST's) just for the fun of it and for a 3 days work (one day programming, two days testing) the results (+50 elo) are very good for ProDeo. I therefore can recommend every engine programmer to give it the same try, hence this release.
....

http://rebel13.nl/prodeo/prodeo-3.1.html
Hello I search and searched all over the net and could not come up with a exe for the TSCP (pesto) or the TSCP (mcts) do you have any links? Thx in advance AR... :) :wink:

ps Downloaded Rebel Prodeo 3.1.....Looks good!!

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5803
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: ProDeo 3.1 - The PESTO version

Post by Rebel » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:35 am

supersharp77 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:29 am
Rebel wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 pm
PESTO stands for Piece Square Tables Only as described on the Rofchade website by Dutchman Ronald Friederich and later implemented in TSCP by Rodent author Pawel Koziol which gave TSCP an 200 elo boast.

Inspired by this I implemented PESTO in ProDeo (on top of the existing PST's) just for the fun of it and for a 3 days work (one day programming, two days testing) the results (+50 elo) are very good for ProDeo. I therefore can recommend every engine programmer to give it the same try, hence this release.
....

http://rebel13.nl/prodeo/prodeo-3.1.html
Hello I search and searched all over the net and could not come up with a exe for the TSCP (pesto) or the TSCP (mcts) do you have any links? Thx in advance AR... :) :wink:

ps Downloaded Rebel Prodeo 3.1.....Looks good!!
TSCP - http://rebel13.nl/pesto.zip
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

supersharp77
Posts: 991
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:54 am
Location: Southwest USA

Re: ProDeo 3.1 - The PESTO version

Post by supersharp77 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:39 am

Rebel wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:35 am
supersharp77 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:29 am
Rebel wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 pm
PESTO stands for Piece Square Tables Only as described on the Rofchade website by Dutchman Ronald Friederich and later implemented in TSCP by Rodent author Pawel Koziol which gave TSCP an 200 elo boast.

Inspired by this I implemented PESTO in ProDeo (on top of the existing PST's) just for the fun of it and for a 3 days work (one day programming, two days testing) the results (+50 elo) are very good for ProDeo. I therefore can recommend every engine programmer to give it the same try, hence this release.
....

http://rebel13.nl/prodeo/prodeo-3.1.html
Hello I search and searched all over the net and could not come up with a exe for the TSCP (pesto) or the TSCP (mcts) do you have any links? Thx in advance AR... :) :wink:

ps Downloaded Rebel Prodeo 3.1.....Looks good!!
TSCP - http://rebel13.nl/pesto.zip
Unfortunately...Pesto TSCP engine crashed in winboard GUI.....(win10) either as pure winboard or with wb2uci adapter
(Does make 1-2 moves before crash)......AR 8-)

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5803
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: ProDeo 3.1 - The PESTO version

Post by Rebel » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:04 am

supersharp77 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:39 am
Rebel wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:35 am
supersharp77 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:29 am
Rebel wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 pm
PESTO stands for Piece Square Tables Only as described on the Rofchade website by Dutchman Ronald Friederich and later implemented in TSCP by Rodent author Pawel Koziol which gave TSCP an 200 elo boast.

Inspired by this I implemented PESTO in ProDeo (on top of the existing PST's) just for the fun of it and for a 3 days work (one day programming, two days testing) the results (+50 elo) are very good for ProDeo. I therefore can recommend every engine programmer to give it the same try, hence this release.
....

http://rebel13.nl/prodeo/prodeo-3.1.html
Hello I search and searched all over the net and could not come up with a exe for the TSCP (pesto) or the TSCP (mcts) do you have any links? Thx in advance AR... :) :wink:

ps Downloaded Rebel Prodeo 3.1.....Looks good!!
TSCP - http://rebel13.nl/pesto.zip
Unfortunately...Pesto TSCP engine crashed in winboard GUI.....(win10) either as pure winboard or with wb2uci adapter
(Does make 1-2 moves before crash)......AR 8-)
I think you need to contact the author then, Pawel from Rodent.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

Jamal Bubker
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: ProDeo 3.1 - The PESTO version

Post by Jamal Bubker » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:57 pm

Thanks Ed for this new release 8-)
I'm eager to test the PeSTO version !

User avatar
lithander
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:40 am
Location: Bremen, Germany
Full name: Thomas Jahn

Re: ProDeo 3.1 - The PESTO version

Post by lithander » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:44 pm

I'm think in the next MinimalChess version I will add suport for PSTs (because it's just such a huge strength boost) and I was thinking of keeping them as seperate files beside the engine so users could edit them. Maybe you could even have different versions side by side and select one via UCI option. That way you could easily compare different PSTs in a fair competition.
Minimal Chess. My very first chess engine! Details on Youtube & Github

MikeGL
Posts: 1003
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Re: ProDeo 3.1 - The PESTO version

Post by MikeGL » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:58 pm

Already downloaded this engine a few days back.
Thanks a lot for this new engine Ed!
Interesting to note that there are still some new ideas being tried and tested.
lithander wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:44 pm
I'm think in the next MinimalChess version I will add suport for PSTs (because it's just such a huge strength boost) and I was thinking of keeping them as seperate files beside the engine so users could edit them. Maybe you could even have different versions side by side and select one via UCI option. That way you could easily compare different PSTs in a fair competition.
I was also with the impression that NNUE have this type of system, I mean probably having thousands of stored
PST and dynamically picks up the correct PST depending on ECO openning, also phase of the game (mid, or endgame), and also
pawn structure (closed, or open), pieces left and pawns left. Saw in Rofchade PeSTO website it currently used 2 tables, 1 for openning and another for endgame.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Post Reply