Durandal

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Dann Corbit, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Roland Chastain
Full name: Roland Chastain

Durandal

Post by Roland Chastain » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:46 am

Hello everybody!

Durandal is a very simple (and very weak) UCI chess engine written in Pascal, and able to play traditional chess, Fischer random chess, Capablanca chess, Capablanca random chess and Gothic chess.

Source code, Windows and Linux binaries are here:
https://github.com/rchastain/durandal

Regards.

Roland
Qui trop embrasse mal étreint.

Tibono

Re: Durandal

Post by Tibono » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:48 pm

Merci Roland !
Cheers,
Eric

lithander
Full name: Thomas Jahn

Post by lithander » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:12 pm

Hi Roland,

I played it in a little tournament and MinimalChess 0.2 (~1000 ELO) didn't lose a single game. But your engine was really fast and I didn't notice any stability problems. So despite it playing as weak as advertised it seems to work just fine!

Are you searching to a fixed depth of four plys? And what do you use as evaluation? I noticed that your engine tends to move pieces back and forth a lot. Is it a clever tactic to try and force draw? ;)
Minimal Chess. My very first chess engine! Details on Youtube & Github

Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:20 pm

Congrats! Psacalia is entirely occupied by the legions of C-sar. Well not entirely! One small village of indomitable Pascalians still holds out... 8-)
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net

Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:40 am

lithander wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:12 pm
I played it in a little tournament and MinimalChess 0.2 (~1000 ELO) didn't lose a single game. But your engine was really fast and I didn't notice any stability problems. So despite it playing as weak as advertised it seems to work just fine!
Thank you for testing the program. Glad to known that it seems to work correctly.
lithander wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:12 pm
Are you searching to a fixed depth of four plys? And what do you use as evaluation? I noticed that your engine tends to move pieces back and forth a lot. Is it a clever tactic to try and force draw? ;)
Unfortunately it's rather the result of a very simplistic design. :)

I play only three half moves (including the move to be evaluated) and search the best material balance. After that I keep the moves with the best score and search the best pawn structure and things like that.

When I have time I will see if I can find something to make the playing style less boring. :wink:

Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:41 am

Ras wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:20 pm
Congrats! Pascalia is entirely occupied by the legions of C-sar. Well not entirely! One small village of indomitable Pascalians still holds out... 8-)
:)