SPCC: Web-Host hit by a fire

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kranium

Re: SPCC: Web-Host hit by a fire

Post by kranium »

pohl4711 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:00 pm Translation by google:
Parts of the data center are currently being restored. A list of the rooms affected by the fire gives hope that the backup copies will be stored in an intact room. These sections will be put back into operation on Monday, March 15th, 2021. We can then check whether the backup copies are intact. If everything is okay with this, we will immediately start restoring the customer websites.
Very sorry to hear this news.

I worked as a systems/network engineer in large data centers for many years, and one of the very basic principles is to maintain a copy of data off-site at an external location...for just this very reason. The chance of a fire destroying data at 2 locations simultaneously is infinitesimally small.
Backup best practice #1: remote storage

Quite shocked to hear beepworld was not doing this. This is a major failure.
Maybe time to consider another (more secure) provider?

Best of luck Stefan
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Latest news from my webhost (beepworld.de):

Zeitplan für die Wiederherstellung der Beepworld Dienste (Update - die Mitgliedsseiten sind vollständig wiederherstellbar):
1. Aktivierung einer Informationsseite für alle Kundendomains und Adressen der Form mitgliedsname.beepworld.de (17.03, abgeschlossen)
2. Start der Email-Dienste (18.03, in Arbeit)
3. Start der Beepworld-Hauptseite und Mitgliedsbereich (19.03, in Arbeit)
4. Aufspielen der Sicherheitskopien und Wiederherstellung der Erreichbarkeit der Mitgliedsseiten. Wir haben Zugriff auf die Sicherheitskopien. Die Sicherheitskopien sind intakt. (21.03, offen)

Translated by google:

Schedule for the restoration of the Beepworld services (update - the member pages are fully recoverable):
1. Activation of an information page for all customer domains and addresses in the form membername.beepworld.de (17.03, completed)
2. Start of the email services (March 18, work in progress)
3. Start of the Beepworld main page and member area (19.03, work in progress)
4. Installation of the backup copies and restoration of the accessibility of the member pages. We have access to the backup copies. The backup copies are intact. (21.03, open)

So, I hope, that my website will be online in some weeks again. Same internet-adress as usual... keep fingers crossed!
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Your work is absolutely indispensable.
I certainly hope it can be revived.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
pohl4711

Post by pohl4711 »

Dann Corbit wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:43 am Your work is absolutely indispensable.
Thank you!

Of course my work continues...If my website can not be restored, I will build a new one (but hopefully, the old website will be restored in 1-2 weeks...)

Beside of these problems, my testings continue and the results will go online immediately, when my website is online again.
And the work on the remastering of my older openings sets (Drawkiller, NBSC etc.) and my work on the new and much improved (and much deeper evaluated) Unbalanced Human Openings V3.00 are making good progress, too. Release will be very soon: Alpha and Beta-version testruns are finished and the final tests of the release-versions are already running.

Stay tuned!

Stefan (SPCC)
Joerg Oster

Post by Joerg Oster »

pohl4711 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:22 pm
Dann Corbit wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:43 am Your work is absolutely indispensable.
Thank you!

Of course my work continues...If my website can not be restored, I will build a new one (but hopefully, the old website will be restored in 1-2 weeks...)

Beside of these problems, my testings continue and the results will go online immediately, when my website is online again.
And the work on the remastering of my older openings sets (Drawkiller, NBSC etc.) and my work on the new and much improved (and much deeper evaluated) Unbalanced Human Openings V3.00 are making good progress, too. Release will be very soon: Alpha and Beta-version testruns are finished and the final tests of the release-versions are already running.

Stay tuned!

Stefan (SPCC)
Looking forward to it, Stefan,
and good luck with your website!
Jörg Oster
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

pohl4711 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:03 pm Sadly, the web-host company Beepworld was hit by a fire (OHV Cloud) in France:

https://www.lalsace.fr/faits-divers-jus ... rt-du-rhin

At the moment, it is not clear, if and when my website (www.sp-cc.de) will be online again. Sorry for these inconveniences.
I'm sorry for you, I often check your reliable rating list, and hope you'll be soon online again!
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
pohl4711

Post by pohl4711 »

Latest update from my web-host company beepworld.de:

Info from OHV Strasbourg:
"The servers in SBG1 (the backups of the websites are stored here) are being inspected, cleaned and possibly repaired in Croix. Some have been returned to the Strasbourg site and are being reconnected. The first racks will be in service between tonight and tomorrow morning. Operations will continue for one week. The SBG1 site is being dismantled."