I've written a chess openings explorer for Windows that shows you a detailed wiki page for each opening as you play it.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Joost Buijs

Re: I've written a chess openings explorer for Windows that shows you a detailed wiki page for each opening as you play

Post by Joost Buijs »

Sven wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:58 pm
Jonathan003 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:28 pm I get a virus warning from Malwarebytes if I try to run raven_openings_explorer.exe
Trojan.Glupteba

It is probably a false virus alert from Malwarebytes.
I get a virus warning from Kaspersky when downloading already ...
The same here from Windows AV, so it's probably not a false alert.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: I've written a chess openings explorer for Windows that shows you a detailed wiki page for each opening as you play

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

I would really like to have a better database for this. Chess Opening Theory isn't bad and covers some lines very well, but it's very lacking on some lines and doesn't provide any information for some lines apart from theory tables.
Try out FEOBOS.
Here you can find the A00-E99 balanced lines, max. length ... 3 moves after ECO-Code formed!
10 engines in teamwork find out with an Excel with around 16 Million formulas.

FEOBOS files can be found under:
http://www.amateurschach.de/main/_new-opening-book.htm

Best
Frank

Thank's for your program!
JimmyRustles
Full name: Steven Griffin

Post by JimmyRustles »

Joost Buijs wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:20 pm
Sven wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:58 pm
Jonathan003 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:28 pm I get a virus warning from Malwarebytes if I try to run raven_openings_explorer.exe
Trojan.Glupteba

It is probably a false virus alert from Malwarebytes.
I get a virus warning from Kaspersky when downloading already ...
The same here from Windows AV, so it's probably not a false alert.
Browsers and Windows flag it as unsafe, most likely because it's unsigned software, but it's just a python script compiled with PyInstaller. You can see in the code on github that there's nothing malicious, and if you don't want to use the executable, you can run the python script directly using the instructions on the github.
Jonathan003
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Post by Jonathan003 »

If I add the 'Raven-Openings-Explorer.exe' file to the allow list in Malwarebytes I still get the virus alert, if I try to run the exe file and the file gets deleted. I will look how to run the python script directly.
KLc
Full name: Kurt Lanc

Post by KLc »

Virus warning directly from Windows Defender AV after download. Not good, deleted.
Jonathan003
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Post by Jonathan003 »

Thanks for the useful tool.
I have get it to work on my windows 10 pc.
I just add it to the exclusive list in Malware bytes to avoid false virus alerts.
I also had to install Python and check the option 'add it to your PATH'.
For some reason I can not copy the text from the Wikipedia pages displayed by the tool?
I hope this can be fixed.
I also would like to be able to use this tool on my android phone or tablet.