Knight odds test blitz match dragon vs GM Lenderman

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

Re: Knight odds test blitz match dragon vs GM Lenderman

Post by Uri Blass »

lkaufman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:37 am
Chessqueen wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:47 am
lkaufman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:41 pm This Thursday, April 8, from 1 pm to 5 pm Eastern Daylight time, we plan to play a four hour series of blitz games between the latest Komodo Dragon (MCTS mode) and GM Alex Lenderman (FIDE 2624 standard, 2642 Rapid, 2651 Blitz) on chess.com at knight odds. This is not a show, just a test of a proposed format for future matches, but anyone can watch the games (observe games of Playkomodo or AlexanderL). The format is this: the first game is at 9' + 1" increment (the slowest time control that chess.com classifies as blitz), at knight and move odds (meaning Nb8 removed). This is repeated if necessary until Lenderman wins a game, then he plays Black (so Nb1 removed), again repeating if necessary until he wins. Once he wins with Black, time limit is cut to 8' + 1", and he again must win a game as White and another as Black to promote to 7' + 1". After each pair of wins another minute is deducted. If we reaches 1' + 1" and wins with both colors, he'll just continue to play as Black at that handicap until the four hours is up. Dragon will be playing on my 32 core Threadripper, will have a tiny opening book to insure variety at knight odds, and will play quite a bit faster than the time limit would allow. I expect him to win most of the early games, but to get bogged down once the time limit gets a bit low. He'll get $20 for each win so he will be motivated; draws don't help him, it's effectively "knight odds Armageddon". What time limit will he reach in the four hours allotted?
Since Dragon has improved a lot in the last 11 months since the last match against GM Lenderman when it lost at Knight Odds at 3'+2", I believe that at 3'+1" it is time for an improved Dragon to get its revenge. So my answer is that GM Lenderman will reach 3'+1" time limit in his 4 hours alloted. :roll:
That was also my opinion a week ago, now I'm a little more optimistic based on some refinements so I'll predict he'll just reach 4' + 1". Even 9' + 1" is not enough time for me to beat Dragon at knight odds, but I'm a long way from Lenderman's level in blitz, and even further with only a one second increment, so I can't really judge from my own games with Dragon. I would guess that whatever level he reaches, Hikaru could probably reach half that base time level at least if he plays it the same way.
In order to reach 4'+1'' you need to win 10 games at average time control of 7'+1''
The human may use average time of 8 minutes in these games(I assume using most of his time and getting to average of more than 60 moves)

If dragon is going to use average time of 7 minutes then a game is going to take 15 minutes and it means only the win without additional games may take 150 minutes and we will have only 90 minutes of bad tries.

I predict it is not going to happen and I guess lenderman is going to reach only 5'+1''
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

Uri Blass wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:25 am
lkaufman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:41 pm This Thursday, April 8, from 1 pm to 5 pm Eastern Daylight time, we plan to play a four hour series of blitz games between the latest Komodo Dragon (MCTS mode) and GM Alex Lenderman (FIDE 2624 standard, 2642 Rapid, 2651 Blitz) on chess.com at knight odds. This is not a show, just a test of a proposed format for future matches, but anyone can watch the games (observe games of Playkomodo or AlexanderL). The format is this: the first game is at 9' + 1" increment (the slowest time control that chess.com classifies as blitz), at knight and move odds (meaning Nb8 removed). This is repeated if necessary until Lenderman wins a game, then he plays Black (so Nb1 removed), again repeating if necessary until he wins. Once he wins with Black, time limit is cut to 8' + 1", and he again must win a game as White and another as Black to promote to 7' + 1". After each pair of wins another minute is deducted. If we reaches 1' + 1" and wins with both colors, he'll just continue to play as Black at that handicap until the four hours is up. Dragon will be playing on my 32 core Threadripper, will have a tiny opening book to insure variety at knight odds, and will play quite a bit faster than the time limit would allow. I expect him to win most of the early games, but to get bogged down once the time limit gets a bit low. He'll get $20 for each win so he will be motivated; draws don't help him, it's effectively "knight odds Armageddon". What time limit will he reach in the four hours allotted?
Since Dragon has improved a lot in the last 11 months since the last match against GM Lenderman when it lost at Knight Odds at 3'+2", I believe that at 3'+1" it is time for an improved Dragon to get its revenge. So my answer is that GM Lenderman will reach 3'+1" time limit in his 4 hours alloted. :roll:
That was also my opinion a week ago, now I'm a little more optimistic based on some refinements so I'll predict he'll just reach 4' + 1". Even 9' + 1" is not enough time for me to beat Dragon at knight odds, but I'm a long way from Lenderman's level in blitz, and even further with only a one second increment, so I can't really judge from my own games with Dragon. I would guess that whatever level he reaches, Hikaru could probably reach half that base time level at least if he plays it the same way.
In order to reach 4'+1'' you need to win 10 games at average time control of 7'+1''
The human may use average time of 8 minutes in these games(I assume using most of his time and getting to average of more than 60 moves)

If dragon is going to use average time of 7 minutes then a game is going to take 15 minutes and it means only the win without additional games may take 150 minutes and we will have only 90 minutes of bad tries.

I predict it is not going to happen and I guess lenderman is going to reach only 5'+1''

In that case Larry Kaufman should start with the first game at 7' + 1" increment at knight and move odds (meaning Nb8 removed). This is repeated if necessary until Lenderman wins a game, then he plays Black (so Nb1 removed), again repeating if necessary until he wins. Once he wins with Black, time limit is cut to 6' + 1", and he again must win a game as White and another as Black to promote to 5' + 1". After each pair of wins another minute is deducted. and GM Lenderman might only reaches 4' + 1" or if he get lucky 3' + 1" :roll: :mrgreen: :lol:
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Chessqueen wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:23 pm

In that case Larry Kaufman should start with the first game at 7' + 1" increment at knight and move odds (meaning Nb8 removed). This is repeated if necessary until Lenderman wins a game, then he plays Black (so Nb1 removed), again repeating if necessary until he wins. Once he wins with Black, time limit is cut to 6' + 1", and he again must win a game as White and another as Black to promote to 5' + 1". After each pair of wins another minute is deducted. and GM Lenderman might only reaches 4' + 1" or if he get lucky 3' + 1" :roll: :mrgreen: :lol:
I do NOT see this great chess entertainer GM Ben Finegold on Youtube ==>
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Dragon is set to play quite a bit faster than necessary, partly to insure enough games in total. I would estimate that at 7' + 1" it will use under 5 minutes per game, not 7, allowing 110 minutes for "bad tries".
Komodo rules!
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

lkaufman wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:01 pm

Dragon is set to play quite a bit faster than necessary, partly to insure enough games in total. I would estimate that at 7' + 1" it will use under 5 minutes per game, not 7, allowing 110 minutes for "bad tries".
Mr. Kaufman, Where is the direct link to watch the match ?
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Chessqueen wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:52 pm

Here is the first game ==> https://www.chess.com/analysis/game/live/11643892395

If you see on the bottom Alexander is winning 5 to 1 ==> https://www.chess.com/member/playkomodo
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Chessqueen wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:13 pm

If you see on the bottom Alexander is winning 5 to 1 ==> https://www.chess.com/member/playkomodo
Can somebody explain to me how Komodo won this game, or is it because of the armageddon that the GM failed to win, therefore, Komodo Won ?
:roll: ==> https://www.chess.com/game/live/1164745 ... playkomodo
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

From discord

"katago has a feature called pda where it'll assume the oponent is worse than itself and play more aggressively, and it does do riskier plays. It's mainly used for handicap games, where the opponent places extra stones on the board"

How feasible is it to teach Dragon something similiar ?
Chessqueen

Post by Chessqueen »

Nordlandia wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:30 pm From discord

"katago has a feature called pda where it'll assume the oponent is worse than itself and play more aggressively, and it does do riskier plays. It's mainly used for handicap games, where the opponent places extra stones on the board"

How feasible is it to teach Dragon something similiar ?
It could be useful, but faster time play against Komodo Dragon is the most demanding in chess and as I said before, since Dragon has improved a lot in the last 11 months since the last match against GM Lenderman when it lost at Knight Odds at 3'+2", I believe that at 3'+1" it is time for an improved Dragon to get its revenge. So my answer is that GM Lenderman will reach 3'+1" time limit in his 4 hours alloted :roll: :mrgreen: :lol:
https://www.chess.com/member/playkomodo
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Chessqueen wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:22 pm
Chessqueen wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:13 pm

Can somebody explain to me how Komodo won this game, or is it because of the armageddon that the GM failed to win, therefore, Komodo Won ?
:roll: ==> https://www.chess.com/game/live/1164745 ... playkomodo
Alex resigned games once he thought he had little chance to win; in one or two cases he might have been mistaken in that conclusion. He did better than we all expected to reach 2' + 1"; Komodo Dragon won overall by 17 to 15, but Alex was doing fine until he had to play Black with 3' + 1", which proved very difficult, although he eventually won a game that way. Looks like 4' + 1" was the break-even TC under the given conditions.
Komodo rules!