We are past the stage where the OS has become the virus

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

flok
Full name: Folkert van Heusden

Re: We are past the stage where the OS has become the virus

Post by flok »

towforce wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:11 pm
Dann Corbit wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:13 pm My chess analysis was running slow. So I looked at what processes in memory were doing.
There was this thing: Compattelrunner.Exe
It was using 17% of my compute power, and my chess task which should be at 95% was struggling.
Apparently, it is MS Windows spy process that you cannot turn off.
So I found an article:
https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-10/wha ... -disabled/
that explains how to reduce its resources.
Unfortunately, it is already set at the minimum.
So here is this evil thing, and I can't do anything about it.
At least with a virus, there is usually some process for removal.

Something to try: increase the priority of your program, and reduce the priority of the bloatware.

* start Windows Task Manager (e.g. can select it by right clicking on the taskbar)

* right click your task

* select "Go To Process"

* right click the process and increase the priority

* right click the bloatware and reduce its priority

More information - link.
@dann also please let us know here if that worked. To be honest I would be surprised because Dann probably has computer with multiple threads or even cores so if there is no dependency between the chess program and the bloatware, the chess program should be able to run at slightly against 100% while the bloadware uses an other processing unit. Altough hyperthreading might make this a bit more complicated.
ydebilloez
Full name: Yves De Billoëz

Re: We are past the stage where the OS has become the virus

Post by ydebilloez »

flok wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:20 pm @dann also please let us know here if that worked. To be honest I would be surprised because Dann probably has computer with multiple threads or even cores so if there is no dependency between the chess program and the bloatware, the chess program should be able to run at slightly against 100% while the bloadware uses an other processing unit. Altough hyperthreading might make this a bit more complicated.
You can bring windows (and Linux) to a halt by competing on system resources that are slow. Try installing 2 anti-virus software's at the same time, your hard disk (if not SSD) will peak to 100% and your PC will run at less than 10% of its initial speed. If your applications are not competing for the hard disk or for network resources (or hard-disk on remote networks), your statement on multiple threads holds. If however you are peaking at any of the core metrics at 100% (hard-disk, memory, cpu, network, interrupts (usb 2)....) all things start to slow down, on any system.

You will get this most of the time with windows, with linux, it is a bit harder to get there but it is more prone to memory related slowness than windows. Just another test, mount a remote volume with SMB, open an explorer on it, start copying some files and disconnect the network card for a minute... most systems will take a reboot to get back into a normal state, ... you can even bring MacOS to its knees.

Lets focus on chess programs and assume that the system is not interfering with the CPU needs, and move the discussion on which os is better to another forum. Linux rules anyway. :D
Yves De Billoëz @ macchess belofte chess
Once owner of a Mephisto I, II, challenger, ... chess computer.