We are past the stage where the OS has become the virus

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

flok
Full name: Folkert van Heusden

Re: We are past the stage where the OS has become the virus

Post by flok »

Milos wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:55 pm Again observational bias.
Please, stop saying that every time. Especially when the next thing you write is exactly that:
And I am actively administrating both Linux and Windows machines. And as an admin, I can say administrating Windows is like a 100 times easier than Linux.
That's not something that is true for everyone.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Milos wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:55 pmThis is even easier to be done on Windows. And I've never seen a problem on a modern Windows that can't be recovered in a matter of half an hour by even half decently experienced win admin.
Versus five minutes under Linux without experienced admin.
Milos wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:52 pmYou know there is a thing on Windows called fast reboot
How often that "urban legend" Win frying itself on update happens per number of users?
Just have a look at the MS help forums. The most frequent "solution" btw. is to reinstall Windows. Which is odd because that was the state of affairs under Win 95, and it was unheard of under Win 7 unless the user did really stupid things like installing some cracks from shady websites AND dismiss the MSE warnings.
Can you actually support those wild claims of "Windows Home users are now the unpaid beta testers for the enterprise version"???
I won't educate you much if you have been living under a rock for years, Google is at your disposition. The summary is that before, MS used to test on thousands of real PCs under various configurations. These days, they test on VMs only so that they only find bugs that will virtually hit everyone. Whenever you see an update that is "not compatible with your PC", all it means is that enough users under your config have already been bitten by that so that MS pulled the plug on it. In case you wonder, MS knows this through telemetry. What's worse, their devs don't have a proper test field so that they debug into the dark.
Again observational bias. If I just counted how many times something got screwed when I tried to do something very basic under Linux it wouldn't fit into 10k characters.
Which ties into the next one:
And I am actively administrating both Linux and Windows machines. And as an admin, I can say administrating Windows is like a 100 times easier than Linux.
The reason is that you may have Windows experience, but shouldn't be administrating Linux machines. Think about why most servers are under Linux, not Windows. Certainly not because more experienced admins than you like to incur more hassle.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
Milos

Post by Milos »

flok wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:05 am
Milos wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:55 pm Again observational bias.
Please, stop saying that every time. Especially when the next thing you write is exactly that:
That's not something that is true for everyone.
So for you it's the same level of observational bias your experience when you used a year ago a machine on which you don't even remember when and how you did updates (you just know someone told you always have to reboot) compared to experience of actively administrating on a daily basis a dozen of win and couple of linux machines (mainly RHEL and Ubuntu)??? Wow.
flok

Post by flok »

Milos wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:01 amSo you have admin rights and it's not a globally managed machine.
Well, then the obvious conclusion is that you don't know how to set up updates on Win machine or how to control antivirus. Because both of those issues are virtually no-existent if you are a root on a machine where you have 100% control. And both things are pretty trivial to set up.
I know how to control windows updates. But as things are not open source, I cannot verify how important they are. So if I'm advised by a CVE or in generally "let if update when it wants to", then I do so. I don't enjoy going in depth on that if its not my job.

And I know that I can control antivirus. But what use has a virusscanner as, for example, I tell it to not scan everything? Or not on a certain schedule? How am I then guaranteed that I do not open a new attack vector?
So based on what are you claiming you are equally experienced win as linux user/admin? Because you do driver-development level? That has absolutely zero relevance to Windows administration.
I've been paid to do linux system administration. And I've also been paid to do windows system administration.

Also: I would not say it has zero relevance because as a system-developer, you need to have a very good understanding how a computer and the operating system it runs, how these things do their job and interact.
flok

Post by flok »

Milos wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:12 am So for you it's the same level of observational bias your experience when you used a year ago a machine on which you don't even remember when and how you did updates (you just know someone told you always have to reboot) compared to experience of actively administrating on a daily basis a dozen of win and couple of linux machines (mainly RHEL and Ubuntu)??? Wow.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here nor how it is relevant to the discussion.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Ras wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:09 am Just have a look at the MS help forums. The most frequent "solution" btw. is to reinstall Windows. Which is odd because that was the state of affairs under Win 95, and it was unheard of under Win 7 unless the user did really stupid things like installing some cracks from shady websites AND dismiss the MSE warnings.
So MS help forums are source of your "statistics". Well what can I tell beside it has zero relevance to reality.
The reason is that you may have Windows experience, but shouldn't be administrating Linux machines. Think about why most servers are under Linux, not Windows. Certainly not because more experienced admins than you like to incur more hassle.
Well try administrating a machine next time in a corporate environment where you have virtually hundreds of stupid corporate security polices and then come back to me.
I totally fail to see how number of servers on Linux vs. Windows has any relevance for the discussion. The amount of user machines is for multiple orders of magnitude larger than number of servers. So that argument is nothing but a strawman.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Milos wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:18 amWell what can I tell beside it has zero relevance to reality.
Just as your attempt at trolling, which is as poor as usually (edit: i.e. when you troll, not always). Case dismissed.
Last edited by Ras on Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
Milos

Post by Milos »

flok wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:12 am I know how to control windows updates. But as things are not open source, I cannot verify how important they are. So if I'm advised by a CVE or in generally "let if update when it wants to", then I do so. I don't enjoy going in depth on that if its not my job.

And I know that I can control antivirus. But what use has a virusscanner as, for example, I tell it to not scan everything? Or not on a certain schedule? How am I then guaranteed that I do not open a new attack vector?

I've been paid to do linux system administration. And I've also been paid to do windows system administration.
It seems to me you are also a part of the problem why some things on Windows are in bad light. Exactly what I mentioned in my first reply, lazy/incompetent Win admins.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Ras wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:19 am
Milos wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:18 amWell what can I tell beside it has zero relevance to reality.
Just as your attempt at trolling, which is as poor as usually (edit: i.e. when you troll, not always). Case dismissed.
You are the one that is trolling. You are gathering your statistics in free (and totally useless in addition to being unofficial btw.) MS forums and wanting to be taken up seriously. Sorry but that's not more of a "technical support" than any random linux user forum.
flok

Post by flok »

Milos wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:23 am
flok wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:12 am I know how to control windows updates. But as things are not open source, I cannot verify how important they are. So if I'm advised by a CVE or in generally "let if update when it wants to", then I do so. I don't enjoy going in depth on that if its not my job.

It seems to me you are also a part of the problem why some things on Windows are in bad light. Exactly what I mentioned in my first reply, lazy/incompetent Win admins.
I don't believe it's correct what you're stating.

What I wrote is, that when it is not my job to do windows system administrators, that I don't want go in depth. That doesn't say I won't if I AM an windows system administrator.