Amazing Computer Board on Kickstarter

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jshriver

Amazing Computer Board on Kickstarter

Post by jshriver »

Wanted to share because this product looks amazing. I ended up getting the Plus unit. It can be used against various engines, interface with your cell phone. It also can interface directly with lichess which I find amazing.

Thought you all might be interested.
MikeB

Re: Amazing Computer Board on Kickstarter

Post by MikeB »

Everyone should know that more than 75% of Kickstarter hardware projects fail.

I once invested in a retractable dog leash project and even that one failed.
towforce

Post by towforce »

MikeB wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:39 pm Everyone should know that more than 75% of Kickstarter hardware projects fail.

Makes sense: the general rule for specific investments (as opposed to general investments like funds, unit trusts, exchange traded funds etc) is that by the time they reach the non-expert public, they've already crossed the desks of, and have been rejected by, 100 or so experts.

With this particular product, it looks good to me, and a very nicely packaged product (if it all works as well as easily and as well as shown on the video). The problem is that it has literally nothing that hasn't been done before in one form or another, and thus my biggest fear is that not enough of the people who might buy it will find out about it.
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

towforce wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:24 pm
With this particular product, it looks good to me, and a very nicely packaged product (if it all works as well as easily and as well as shown on the video). The problem is that it has literally nothing that hasn't been done before in one form or another, and thus my biggest fear is that not enough of the people who might buy it will find out about it.
Good points, but it looks like a hot item. Some of the pre-sell packages have close to or more than 1k people each who are already buying. Out of their 30k initial goal its already at 1.2Million right now. So this seems very well received.

On a long shot I emailed them to see if they were open to allowing other engines, or a api or framework. I was responded to in just a few hours and they are working on it and are open to discussing it with open source developers and building an open source community with it.

Im excited.

Though I understand the previous posters point too. I was a backer for the Parallella.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I saw this other new one yesterday which I thought sounded good:

cpeters
Full name: Christian Petersen

Post by cpeters »

Hey Joshua!

jshriver wrote:
It can be used against various engines, interface with your cell phone.

Jeff Wigh/Projectfounder on Kickstarter wrote:
We are still figuring our how extensive we will make the API for the board. That is a 2022 project, but connecting and playing through the computer is something we may open up for 3rd party people to develop, We have lots of emails and messages from people eager to add their own programs to the platform - so that is a real possibility in the future.
May...possibility...future.

I'm a backer for this thing also and I think I will get something like a playstation: a flashyblinking appliance - closed platform* for paid 'content'/lessons (well, a bit more, but sort of). If it's becoming anything different: hooray - if not, it'll hopefully be a modern little chesscomputer with some very well-thought unique features for an acceptable price. No wooden cabinet though!

It has potential and is an exciting project, yes.

*think of chessking app...

Greetings

Chessnut:
There's nothing yet. Not even a (registered) company, or do you know one? Patents they write on their site? For what/by whom? Issued when?
It gets built till august for 99/199 bucks? Yessir, please, gimme!
Jonathan003
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

Post by Jonathan003 »

jshriver wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:06 pm

Wanted to share because this product looks amazing. I ended up getting the Plus unit. It can be used against various engines, interface with your cell phone. It also can interface directly with lichess which I find amazing.

Thought you all might be interested.
Thanks for the link.
Looks great!
Maybe it will become my next chess computer.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Looks interesting but what is the hardware for the chess engine?
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

M ANSARI wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:00 am Looks interesting but what is the hardware for the chess engine?
I think nowadays Raspberry Pi is almost the solution for such a small space/board.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
Milos

Post by Milos »

M ANSARI wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:00 am Looks interesting but what is the hardware for the chess engine?
Whatever hardware it is, it's able to run SF which means it can destroy Carlsen or any human on max strength. So unless you are gonna use it for analysis hardware is totally irrelevant.