When there is no wood, the fire goes out

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

When there is no wood, the fire goes out

Post by Dann Corbit »

Just a thought, when it comes to some recent tit-for-tat posts.
Some trolling is irresistible, though.

When I was little, I had a bozo the clown punching bag. It was full of air and there was a weight in the bottom.
If you punched him in the noze, he went all the way over till he was flat on the ground.
Then that weight would pull the bag upright again.
No matter how many times you punched, he always came back up.

Now, a moderation note:
I won't remove a post because everyone hates it. It has to have a specific violation of the charter.
And I don't mean, "This post is a troll!".
So far as I can tell, troll posts are not a violation of the charter.

When there is no wood, the fire goes out.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Dann Corbit

Re: When there is no wood, the fire goes out

Post by Dann Corbit »

I found him:
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Spliffjiffer

Post by Spliffjiffer »

i dont know if u see this as respond of that to what i was talked about but i want to give u right do not make decisions that ban people that do not deserve this...chessqueen is on the verge to be handeled like this but this does not mean that he must be punished...he has his thoughts and these are valuble but but he goes ways that i think are not adequate to give people the opotunity to open threads without a massive inteference in my opinion he must get warned to not make us hoax posters, we are all i know since around 2000 anus dei viable persons and he trieses to make us idiots, thats not correct...i want not to ban him, NO, he is viable but he shouöd not be allowed to to have this influence to make people fools that are provenly vial members on this forum...i stronly recomment to safe him but this bahavier of making other people making goddamnidiots must be abborted....we are very sane people here and i do not want that this changes, thank you Dan to be such a good moderator and there is no slimy
Wahrheiten sind Illusionen von denen wir aber vergessen haben dass sie welche sind.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:49 am <snip>

When I was little, I had a bozo the clown punching bag. It was full of air and there was a weight in the bottom.
If you punched him in the noze, he went all the way over till he was flat on the ground.
<snip>
I had one of those Bozo's , it must have been the toy of the year in 1963. Those Bozos just keep bouncing up dont they dont , no matter how many they times they get whacked. It is amazing to see some Bozos still getting whacked and bouncing up almost 60 years later ...
towforce

Post by towforce »

MikeB wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:30 amI had one of those Bozo's , it must have been the toy of the year in 1963. Those Bozos just keep bouncing up dont they dont , no matter how many they times they get whacked. It is amazing to see some Bozos still getting whacked and bouncing up almost 60 years later ...

From a personal growth point of view, it's good for people to learn to be resilient - and "good" is better than "bad". Resilience is good. Even better is when people find their purpose. Becoming resilient is a good step in that direction.

More importantly, I now know what the American word "Bozo" means! :)
Writing is the antidote to confusion.
It's not "how smart you are", it's "how are you smart".
Your brain doesn't work the way you want, so train it!
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

towforce wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:32 am
MikeB wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:30 amI had one of those Bozo's , it must have been the toy of the year in 1963. Those Bozos just keep bouncing up dont they dont , no matter how many they times they get whacked. It is amazing to see some Bozos still getting whacked and bouncing up almost 60 years later ...

From a personal growth point of view, it's good for people to learn to be resilient - and "good" is better than "bad". Resilience is good. Even better is when people find their purpose. Becoming resilient is a good step in that direction.

More importantly, I now know what the American word "Bozo" means! :)
Interestingly, each city had their own Bozo, and today , each forum has its own Bozo...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bozo_the_Clown
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

towforce wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:32 am More importantly, I now know what the American word "Bozo" means! :)
Don't forget the French version, Beauzeaux

We used to have advertisements for Gai's bakery featuring Professor Beauzeaux.
Tragic that they were discontinued.
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

Spliffjiffer wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:05 am i dont know if u see this as respond of that to what i was talked about but i want to give u right do not make decisions that ban people that do not deserve this...chessqueen is on the verge to be handeled like this but this does not mean that he must be punished...he has his thoughts and these are valuable but but he goes ways that i think are not adequate to give people the opotunity to open threads without a massive inteference in my opinion he must get warned to not make us hoax posters, we are all i know since around 2000 anus dei viable persons and he trieses to make us idiots, thats not correct...i want not to ban him, NO, he is viable but he shouöd not be allowed to to have this influence to make people fools that are provenly vial members on this forum...i stronly recomment to safe him but this bahavior of making other people making goddam idiots must be abborted....we are very sane people here and i do not want that this changes, thank you Dan to be such a good moderator and there is no slimy
Here are some solutions to deal with Chessqueen, believe me this will work, I know Chessqueen upside down :roll:

It’s totally understandable to want to wage a war on trolls with your keyboard, but trolls thrive on others’ anger, frustration and annoyance. This means that the angrier you get, the stronger they become. So, your best bet for ridding the internet of trolls is to starve them of a reaction.

Don't feed the bear This can be pretty challenging. It helps to remember that trolls don’t actually believe what they’re posting, so you can’t beat them with logic or fact. When you’re being trolled, the best thing to do is to ignore the posts. Eventually, they’ll probably tire themselves out.

Trolls want attention. They want to get you angry, frustrated or uncomfortable. No matter how difficult it might be, simply ignoring a troll could your best tactic because when they don’t get a response, they’ll most likely go away. In fact, according to the Pew Research Center, 60% of respondents opted to ignore online harassment.

Rachel Wisuri states on Social Media Examiner humor is one of the best ways to handle trolls. Wisuri uses Sainsbury’s, a grocery chain in the United Kingdom as an example of using humor to battle trolls after an unsatisfied customer reported that they had purchased chicken that tasted “like it was beaten to death by Hulk Hogan.” The brand replied by using a metaphor, as well as an apology. This was effective because the brand engaged the unhappy customer in a lighthearted manner.

As Rachel states, “When you make light of a troll’s tweet, you simultaneously acknowledge and defuse the situation.”

Tim Dowling explains this nicely in an article for The Guardian, “Trolls thrive on anonymity.” By taking away that power, you may make that troll think twice about leaving nasty comments on your website, blog, or social media account. Dowling, however, doesn’t say you have to uncover and reveal their name and address,. You may be able to “turn your rage into pity”. For example, someone who constantly criticizes your writing could have a laughable blog.

If you become the target of rumors or misinformation being spread by trolls, you may want to fight back...with facts. Rachel Wisuri used Apple as an example when the iPhone 6 was released. There were many rumors that the new phone could easily bend if it was in your pocket. “Apple chose to address the issue head-on. They admitted there was an issue and that the issue affected very few customers. In doing so, they were able to stop any further controversy.”

Author and TV host Jeffrey Hayzlett recommends on Entrepreneur if a troll points out a mistake you have made, then you should look into it, make the proper corrections, and admit that you were wrong. Hayzlett states:

“Let the person who wrote the complaint know you have corrected an error and explain what you did. Most times you’ll never hear from the person again, but I can guarantee the individual will appreciate that he heard directly from a company representative and didn't have to navigate an endless phone tree.”
Do NOT worry and be happy, we all live a short life :roll:
supersharp77

Re: Bozo Definition..Bozo The Clown History...

Post by supersharp77 »

Dann Corbit wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:49 am Just a thought, when it comes to some recent tit-for-tat posts.
Some trolling is irresistible, though.

Now, a moderation note:
I won't remove a post because everyone hates it. It has to have a specific violation of the charter.
And I don't mean, "This post is a troll!".
So far as I can tell, troll posts are not a violation of the charter.

When there is no wood, the fire goes out.
Bozo Definition...."BOZO [ boh-zoh ]

noun, plural bo·zos.Slang.
a fellow, especially a big, strong, stupid fellow.
a rude, obnoxious, or annoying person:
Two or three bozos tried to cut in ahead of the rest of us in the supermarket line."
Bozo meaning · A dunce; a fool. · A fellow; guy. · A jerk, fool, etc. · (slang) A stupid or foolish person. · A fellow; a guy.
A Bozo will make up stories about their achievements, but everyone knows that they are just fabrications. A Bozo is not smart enough to know that their lies have been discovered and will continue on prosecuting the lie...
A fluffy and lumpy dumb person who struggles through everyday activities like getting to work fully clothed and in one piece. Often used affectionately but with an eye roll. Said bozo typically wears tragically goofy footwear and has sleep in their eyes.
today I saw Mary the bozo staggering to the bus stop in the rain. Her sneakers were barely on- they were untied and she was walking in them like they were clogs. What a little BOZO!

Bozo_the_Clown
Bozo the Clown, sometimes billed as "Bozo, The World's Most Famous Clown", is a clown character created for children's entertainment, widely popular in the second half of the 20th century. Chicago Area USA?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRLPW8RlUvE

But Of Course I preferred Whizzo the Clown over the Legendary Bozo The Clown... :) :wink:

"Frank Oliver Wiziarde (died 1987) was an American actor and television personality who was known primarily for his performances as Whizzo the Clown in the Kansas-Missouri area from the 1950s through the 1980s."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CynVB8iks0g
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

This thread somehow brings to mind the Bozo-Indian Defense (1.d4 Nc6!?! 2.d5). :lol: